[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3400G vs Ryzen 3 3200G vs any other ryzen + gt 1030

so, im building a pc for a guy who will not be doing any gaming or render work, mostly word and pdf documents, maybe maybe light photo editing every once in a while
nothing more (middle aged lawyer. i guess.)
and i want to give him a pc which will run for quite a while, and he hasnt given me a strict budget just said dont let it be too expensive but be good enough

so, i have never built a pc using an apu before, so i dont know how worth they are. both ryzen g chips are 4 core cpus which is pretty low by today's standards so i thought ill pledge more money for a ryzen 2600X or 3600
but i remembered they dont have an igpu so you need to buy a seperate discrete gpu. (if not that would help) and a gt 1030 is the cheapest gpu i could find at 100$ (prices where i live are way too high.)
the overall system with no cpu decided will be about 433$ with:
8gb of ram 2400mhz corsair ram,
a 250gb crucial mx500 ssd,
2tb seagate baracude drive,
a corsair carbide 100R
and a corsair 450w cx450 (didnt want the lower end 80+ white version. the cx was only 3 dollars more so i went for it)

a 3200G might suffice but I want the pc to be fast, responsive and last long. I doubt it will be regularly cleaned of junk and any unnecessary apps so i dont want it to end up being slow after only a year.
as for prices,
ryzen 3 3200G will cost about 130$ or so
and the 3400G will be 200$. both of these are 4 core cpus
but the 2600X is only about 215$, but will require a separate gpu, costing 100$ more (CORRECT ME AGAIN IF I DONT NEED A DISCRETE GPU)
with the 3600 coming in as the most expensive at 260$ and again, needs a gpu making it 100$ more.

is the 230$ increase for the 3600 + gpu worth it over the 3200G? or are 6 cores mandatory these days?

Solution
For general office-like use and some light gaming/CAD/etc., I'd go with the 3400G. While SMT may not be absolutely necessary yet, it does not hurt to have a little more than the bare amount of hardware threads on tap for later or while other stuff is going on in the background.
I'd say that the 3400g will be more than enough. It can play most of the new games at 30FPS+ at 1080p minimum, so in my opinion would definitely suffice for day to day stuff. However, rather than 2400MHz, go 3000MHz, Ryzen really does need this. Go 2x4GB 3000 MHz. The 3400g will help with multitasking, as I assume a lawyer might do regularly, over a 3200g, but a 3600 might be overkill. If you are unsure as to how well they will keep their PC, you might also want to put a real-time antivirus on there for him, like Bit defender or AVG, as well as ensure Windows Updater runs automatically and put get all of the drivers installed so they don't go 'driver hunting' in the unofficial sites of the web. If they aren't getting Microsoft Office, putting Open Office on there would be useful too.

I'd say that the 3400g will be more than enough. It can play most of the new games at 30FPS+ at 1080p minimum, so in my opinion would definitely suffice for day to day stuff. However, rather than 2400MHz, go 3000MHz, Ryzen really does need this. Go 2x4GB 3000 MHz. The 3400g will help with multitasking, as I assume a lawyer might do regularly, over a 3200g, but a 3600 might be overkill. If you are unsure as to how well they will keep their PC, you might also want to put a real-time antivirus on there for him, like Bit defender or AVG, as well as ensure Windows Updater runs automatically and put get all of the drivers installed so they don't go 'driver hunting' in the unofficial sites of the web. If they aren't getting Microsoft Office, putting Open Office on there would be useful too.
got you there on the memory side
but do you really think a 4 core cpu is good enough? pretty sure a 3600 will be overkill too actually.
drivers and office will all be downloaded by me so no worries there and a decent rtav will be installed too.
anything else you might suggest on my config?

Reactions: ConanLock

InvalidError

Titan
For general office-like use and some light gaming/CAD/etc., I'd go with the 3400G. While SMT may not be absolutely necessary yet, it does not hurt to have a little more than the bare amount of hardware threads on tap for later or while other stuff is going on in the background.

Reactions: ConanLock
Solution