[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3500 with RTX 2070 Super

Shadab_faiz

Commendable
Feb 16, 2020
I'm planning to build a system. They are the components that I'm going for:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3500.
GPU: RTX 2060 Super / 2070 Super.
Motherboard: ASRock Steel Legend / MSI Gaming Pro AC.
Ram: 16GB 3200 Mhz.
PSU: Cooler Master 750W 80+ Gold
Monitor: Acer Nitro VG240P 144Hz
SSD (Sata): 500GB / 1TB.
Cabinet: NZXT H500 / Cooler Master TD500 Mesh.

What I'm not sure about is the combination of Ryzen 5 3500 with 2070 Super. Is this combo a good?

Solution
It's absolutely fine as long as you don't mind being CPU bottlenecked in the future sometime. I mean sure there are some games even now that really want at least 12 threads. But the way consoles are designed now games really have to make use of all 8 cores in the weak CPU. So there are probably some inefficiencies with the way the games are designed for console and then ported back to PC. And unless there are different games developed at the same time One for PS4 for example and another version for PS5 that design that efficiently utilizes weaker many cored CPU's will carry over to PS5 and PC. While the games can still run well on lesser cored CPU's the design is meant for lower single core performance with more cores. That's not to say...
Hey there,

Whilst the 3500x is no slouch, as @Phaaze88 mentioned, it doesn't have SMT, which gives extra CPU resources you will be thankful for in the future.

I'd defo take a 3600 and with either GPU, will give a better experience down the line.

2060 Super is good for 1080p high hz/ultra settings, and pretty decent at 1440p too.

It's worth mentioning the 5600XT as another alternative, it's very strong for 1080p/1440p and is as good as a RTX2060 Super too.

Shadab_faiz

Commendable
Feb 16, 2020
Good short term combination.
Non-hyperthreaded and non-SMT cpus are a poor long term investment.

If you have to offset costs, I'd suggest a 3600 + 2060 Super instead.
I'm not looking for anything other than gaming, and most gaming does not utilize multi-core, should it affect my gaming experience for let's just say 3 years?

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
I'm not looking for anything other than gaming, and most gaming does not utilize multi-core, should it affect my gaming experience for let's just say 3 years?
It is a possibility in the next few years games start to utilise more cores/threads because the ps5 has a 8 core 16 thread ryzen chip. That may not be the case obviously so think what you will about it.

It's absolutely fine as long as you don't mind being CPU bottlenecked in the future sometime. I mean sure there are some games even now that really want at least 12 threads. But the way consoles are designed now games really have to make use of all 8 cores in the weak CPU. So there are probably some inefficiencies with the way the games are designed for console and then ported back to PC. And unless there are different games developed at the same time One for PS4 for example and another version for PS5 that design that efficiently utilizes weaker many cored CPU's will carry over to PS5 and PC. While the games can still run well on lesser cored CPU's the design is meant for lower single core performance with more cores. That's not to say that an Fx CPU is a good choice now because PC requires a bit more power than console. But you get my point. And you can see examples of games needing more cores now more than ever at the end of the life cycle for current gen. I suspect that the true next gen games might actually require fewer cores than current gen just because the design is so much more efficient for single core performance. I think that if they truly want to tackle 120hz they won't burden the CPU too much and the GPU will do a lot more of the work. That's not to say they won't ever make full use of the CPU but I think games will require more CPU cores as long as they are designed at a base level for PS4/XBone and then scaled up for the higher powered systems. So in other words next gen is going to be held back in ways unless they design the games specifically for PS4 and then another version built from scratch for PS5.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Some games are already thread limited on pure hexa cores like the Ryzen 3500:
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
Red Dead Redemption 2
Fortnite
Civilization 6
8 cores/threads would be better, as nothing really uses more than that at the moment, save for Ashes of the Singularity.

TRENDING THREADS