[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 60 degrees while idle and in bios

Jul 14, 2020
Hi all, so I've been noticing my fans ramping up and down louder and more often than usual lately, and I take a look at the bios and it tells me that my cpu (Ryzen 5 3600) is running at 60 degrees. When I first built this pc a few months ago I was sitting closer to 50 degrees in the bios looking at the ez mode that asus has. I have also noticed than my fan have been ramping up and down way more than they normally do despite both the cpu and gpu being under almost no load. When I'm just sitting on the windows desktop, or in the middle of a youtube video, they'll just ramp up really loudly and then back off, and then repeat that a lot. The fan curve that I have set for all my fans is: 0 degrees, 50%; 60 degrees, 50%; 65 degrees, 70%; 70 degrees, 100%. I know it's pretty basic but I don't know enough about fan curves to get to into it. I am also running AMD stock cooler if that helps at all. Should I invest in a new cooler, or change my fan curves? Any help it appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
You might find you need more intakes than exhaust, as it will blow the air out of the case and keep cpu/vrm temps down.

the top front exhaust might just be sucking cool air out of system. i know mine isn't really cooling anything apart from a tube running to my AIO
1Xbecfk.jpg

I would put 3 intakes in and have 1 rear top exhaust and leave one on the back.

the fractal fans aren't very quiet, i think they are the source of most of the noise I hear.

new cooler probably help as well.

Colif

Win 11 Master
How many intake fans have you got? are all 3 deepcool fans intake on front of case? What speed do they run at?

I have a Meshify s2 so I know what case looks like. Mine is a little longer

You should use hwinfo to track temps in windows, see what you run at. My package temp is often bouncing from 44 to 52 all day, i now track the CPU CCD1 total as its closer to average temp of all cores. I am running a 3600XT but not same cooler.

You probably need to change fan plan but it doesn't sound like its getting much cool air to work with. I don't know enough about fan plans to help though.

Any temp below 85 is seen as fine by AMD but they aren't the ones in the room with PC, that heat has to go somewhere.

Jul 14, 2020
How many intake fans have you got? are all 3 deepcool fans intake on front of case? What speed do they run at?

You should use hwinfo to track temps in windows, see what you run at. My package temp is often bouncing from 44 to 52 all day, i now track the CPU CCD1 total as its closer to average temp of all cores. I am running a 3600XT but not same cooler.

You probably need to change fan plan but it doesn't sound like its getting much cool air to work with. I don't know enough about fan plans to help though.

Any temp below 85 is seen as fine by AMD but they aren't the ones in the room with PC, that heat has to go somewhere.

I have 2 of them in the front, 1 in the back, and the 2 included fractal design fans up top (and yes the 2 in the front are intake and the rest are exhaust). I'm pretty sure they run at around 1400-1500 rpm the last time I checked. Is it possible that I didnt install the cooler correctly? I'm not saying that it's not screwed on properly because it is it is just that during installation there may have been some breaks in the seal between the thermal paste the cpu and the cooler. I have also started looking into the be quiet pure rock 2 because I want my overall system to not be as loud + I want to oc it so if anybody has any experience with it I'd love to know. Thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master
You might find you need more intakes than exhaust, as it will blow the air out of the case and keep cpu/vrm temps down.

the top front exhaust might just be sucking cool air out of system. i know mine isn't really cooling anything apart from a tube running to my AIO
1Xbecfk.jpg

the fractal fans aren't very quiet, i think they are the source of most of the noise I hear.

Solution
Jan 5, 2021
I have installed a R5 3600xt yesterday. I have the NZXT H500 with two 140mm Silent Wing 3 as intake and two 120mm Silent wing 3 as exhaust. The CPU cooler is a Arctic Freezer 33. In CPU sits between 30 and 60°C and the CPU Fan is screaming every few seconds when the temperature gets up to 60 again. The Fan runs at 1500-1600 RPM after I changed the fan curve so the Fan is always running at 50% and at 65°C starts to climb, this fixed the howling a bit because now the Fan is always loud.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Average core temp of mine this summer would have been about 40c, since i have an 240mm AIO I can ignore the spikes that are constantly happening.
CPU package always getting to 52 just to fall to 44 and repeat pattern every few seconds. that is what causes them to rev up.
AIO bases its fan curve on water temp, not what CPU is doing. Slow steady increase, at expense of a warmer room afterwards for longer.
Think highest Core under load temps I seen about 75C but that is all out, its normally way cooler.
My fan noise is constant and only increases if I change the fan curve on AIO, most of the time the fans running at 600 to 900, since they ml120 their max is about 2400. I can't avoid hearing them at 2400.
curious how low I can go in winter, but that isn't for four more months (how to confuse people in Northern Hemisphere).

Colif

Win 11 Master
its in my sig under the Colif's PC link but - Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
cool night here, just changed AIO fan plan and managed to get water to 26.2c and CPU to 33.3c, and fans weren't that fast either.
EjEPFTG.jpg

note: I wish I had Intel temps, they make my low seem high. 24c with water? I could do that if I had Air con or didn't mind being deaf all the time (run fans max speed all the time)

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021
Sorry, forgot about this feature. But Thanks
I think I will get the Arctic Liquid Freezer 2, I dont know how to fit it in my case, but somehow I will make it fit.
I managed to get the temps down to may 50c and with the birds outside the revving fan isnt that noticeable anymore.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020

1Xbecfk.jpg

I think what my plan will be is to put the 3 deepcool fans in the front and have 1 fractal fan at the back and one in the top position closest to that back fan. I do realize what your saying since I've put my hand over the top of the case above the top fan closest to the front of the case and all I feel is cold air while the top fan closer to the back is pulling out warmer air. I'll also be getting the new cooler because 60 degrees at idle doesn't seem right. Thanks!

Jul 14, 2020
its in my sig under the Colif's PC link but - Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
cool night here, just changed AIO fan plan and managed to get water to 26.2c and CPU to 33.3c, and fans weren't that fast either.
EjEPFTG.jpg

note: I wish I had Intel temps, they make my low seem high. 24c with water? I could do that if I had Air con or didn't mind being deaf all the time (run fans max speed all the time)
Thanks for solving my problem by the way, but I wanted to ask one more question. I've been hearing about the removal of the stock cooler ripping amd cpus straight out of the socket and often times bending some pins and is there anything I should do before removing my cooler to prevent that from happening? Build is only 2 months old by the way. Should I run a game or a benchmark for a few minutes and then immediately shut down and remove it? I'm just worried about damaging the cpu since I don't know how to get it replaced. Thanks

Jan 5, 2021
I would unscrew it and then try to lift it up, only on one side first. You could also try to slide somethin small between the CPU and cooler to get air in there. Try hood or plastic so you don't scratch the CPU or cooler.
This would be what I would try

Jul 14, 2020

1Xbecfk.jpg

Hi again, quick update I managed to get some free time and switched the 3 deepcool fans to be intake and the 2 fractal fans in the back corner as exhaust and I got the cpu idle temp down to 49 degrees. Thanks again for your help!

Colif

Win 11 Master
i should practice what i preach, I have more exhausts than intakes.
My 240mm AIO is the Front intake with 2 x 120mm ML120 fans. 3rd intake fan would just be blowing cool air at PSU and it doesn't need it.
the 3 fractal case fans that came with case are now my exhaust fans
BXsi1yK.jpg

Only way I can fix that is by removing exhausts so i just leave them be. I need to unplug the top exhaust as all its doing is sucking cool air away from my AIO fans . Summer hasn't been warm enough to worry about it. Maybe next year.

warmest thing in my pc is either GPU or NVME. Both around 50c

TRENDING THREADS