Question Ryzen 5 3600 Bad Bootup

Benton92

Commendable
Oct 13, 2019
Every time I boot up my computer, MSI Command Center takes over my CPU speeds and makes them high, low, and then high again, a constant loop. I have to manually open it and change these settings to make the CPU Ratio its default 3.6Ghz. MSI Command center does not start on startup, but it can still do this. This greatly affects my CPU temps, because they are between 56 - 67 degrees Celsius until I change the ratio to its default. I just want to be able to boot up and have no problems with rapidly fluctuating CPU speeds. While the only way to fix this issue is through MSI Command Center, which is why I believe it is the issue, something else could be doing it that I know nothing about. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Benton92

Commendable
Oct 13, 2019
I would Uninstall the MSI command center. It's not a great program to start with; there are better alternatives. If the problem persists after uninstalling, we'll see what else is running that could cause it.
I uninstalled MSI Command Center and used Ryzen Master to check temps. However, the problem stayed. I reinstalled MSI Command Center and found that my CPU ratio was at 4.1 instead of 3.6. I immediately changed this and CPU temps decreased. But, MSI Command Center is not the issue. I know it cant be Ryzen Master because I had this problem before I installed Ryzen Master.

Starcruiser

Honorable
It must either be another program or the BIOS.
If you still get the same frequency in safe mode, it's probably the BIOS. A CMOS clear is advised in that case.
If the issue doesn't appear in safe mode, then it's software and you'll be digging through your programs list to find it.

Every time I boot up my computer, MSI Command Center takes over my CPU speeds and makes them high, low, and then high again, a constant loop....

That's normal for Ryzen's aggressive boosting behaviour at idle, it has nothing to do with MSI's Command Center. Temperature readings will also spike upwards with the boosting and then ramp down fairly rapidly. But those temp spikes have very little thermal input so the processor general temp doesn't rise by much until it starts getting more and more heavily loaded. Just ignore the spikes and pay attention to the base temperature instead; that's going to be the temp line at the base of the spikes as you're watching a graphical readout of temp data.

By manually adjusting a 3.6Ghz clock speed you've seriously gimped performance by stopping processor boosting. If what you're trying to do is stop the fans from pulsing with the temp pulses then set fan curves that also ignores the spikes. I adjust my fans to be a steady speed that doesn't annoy up to about 65-70C then ramp up from there.

Last edited:

Aldo Ramdani

Commendable
Dec 8, 2019
Set your Power Plan to Ryzen Balanced, Press Win key and type "Power Plan" and select Ryzen Balance Performance, it should decrease your CPU temp. If it's still not working, it could be because Ryzen Auto Overclocking or Ryzen Booster thing.

Benton92

Commendable
Oct 13, 2019
Set your Power Plan to Ryzen Balanced, Press Win key and type "Power Plan" and select Ryzen Balance Performance, it should decrease your CPU temp. If it's still not working, it could be because Ryzen Auto Overclocking or Ryzen Booster thing.
I used this power plan and it seems that my temps went up. It could be the power plan or something else. My usual idle temps are 34 - 39 degrees Celsius, but now there are around 41 - 54 degrees Celsius. Setting my fan curve would help because my fans are starting to annoy me when they rev up out of nowhere. I believe the issue could be an auto overclocking or booster thing you mentioned; however, I don't know where to find this. I also have no idea how to set my fan curve in the MSI Click Bios. If i do set these fan curves to only rev up when the temps are high, could my fans not be fast enough to keep the CPU at a low temp?

Benton92

Commendable
Oct 13, 2019
I used this power plan and it seems that my temps went up. It could be the power plan or something else. My usual idle temps are 34 - 39 degrees Celsius, but now there are around 41 - 54 degrees Celsius. Setting my fan curve would help because my fans are starting to annoy me when they rev up out of nowhere. I believe the issue could be an auto overclocking or booster thing you mentioned; however, I don't know where to find this. I also have no idea how to set my fan curve in the MSI Click Bios. If i do set these fan curves to only rev up when the temps are high, could my fans not be fast enough to keep the CPU at a low temp?
Also, I was playing roblox and my CPU was at 56 degrees celsius. I am disappointed.

There's nothing to be gained by trying to keep temperature below 60-65C, so as long as temps are below that the fans will be as fast as they need to be even if not spinning at all. If temps get above 65, that's when the fans need to be running and ramping up; by 85C or so they should be quite high, by 90-95 getting into airplane mode fast.

Search around the BIOS, in the System section (I think it's called) there's a Hardware Monitor area. It's all tabular in CLIK BIOS, there's 4 speed inflection points. At each point you input a fan speed (a % for PWM fans, a voltage for volt controlled) and temperature at which it's effective. There's a few quirks, just try it a few times and you'll get it.

Last edited:

Benton92

Commendable
Oct 13, 2019
There's nothing to be gained by trying to keep temperature below ~65C, so as long as temps are below that the fans will be as fast as they need to be even if not spinning at all. If temps get above 65, that's when the fans need to be running and ramping up; by 85C or so they should be quite high, by 90-95 getting into airplane mode fast.

Search around the BIOS, in the System section (I think it's called) there's a Hardware Monitor area. It's all tabular in CLIK BIOS, there's 4 speed inflection points. At each point you input a fan speed (a % for PWM fans, a voltage for volt controlled) and temperature at which it's effective. There's a few quirks, just try it a few times and you'll get it.
I messed around with the fan curves and I was able to get them how I like. However, my CPU temps even under small load is just too high. 46 degrees Celsius with just chrome and steam open seems odd. I can understand CPU temp spikes being normal, but why are the temps so high under this small of a load. If I want to play a game and have these apps open, like I usually do, then I can see temps going up to 70 degrees Celsius easily. Should I get a new cooler like the Cooler Master 212? Would this help me get lower temps? Any other ideas or suggestions would me nice.

I messed around with the fan curves and I was able to get them how I like. However, my CPU temps even under small load is just too high. 46 degrees Celsius with just chrome and steam open seems odd. I can understand CPU temp spikes being normal, but why are the temps so high under this small of a load. If I want to play a game and have these apps open, like I usually do, then I can see temps going up to 70 degrees Celsius easily. Should I get a new cooler like the Cooler Master 212? Would this help me get lower temps? Any other ideas or suggestions would me nice.

Where did you get the idea 46C is too high? I'm not sure if that's the average or the temperature peaks though: ignore the peaks.

Edit add: I seriously doubt even a NH-D14 will help with the temperature peaks at idle. But if you seriously wanted better temps at high loads a Hyper 212 would be the minimum. But you really shouldn't need either if only running at stock settings.

Edit add 2: What utility are you using to read temperature?

Last edited:

Benton92

Commendable
Oct 13, 2019
Where did you get the idea 46C is too high? I'm not sure if that's the average or the temperature peaks though: ignore the peaks.

Edit add: I seriously doubt even a NH-D14 will help with the temperature peaks at idle. But if you seriously wanted better temps at high loads a Hyper 212 would be the minimum. But you really shouldn't need either if only running at stock settings.

Edit add 2: What utility are you using to read temperature?
I am using Ryzen Master to read CPU temps

I am using Ryzen Master to read CPU temps
OK..so it's using a rolling average of some sort and you probably aren't seeing peaks. That's both good and bad because people don't see the peaks that make fans pulse and it gets people confused.

I don't really think temperature running up into mid 40's with a browser like Chrome open is a bad thing. My 3700x, with 4 tabs open in Firefox runs over 41C and I have a liquid cooling...a 240mm AIO...sitting on it.

What's important is to keep the high temps in check when the processor is under heavy load on all cores. If that's good then if idle temps really are high I'd be worried about processes running I don't know about.

Benton92

Commendable
Oct 13, 2019
OK..so it's using a rolling average of some sort and you probably aren't seeing peaks. That's both good and bad because people don't see the peaks that make fans pulse and it gets people confused.

I don't really think temperature running up into mid 40's with a browser like Chrome open is a bad thing. My 3700x, with 4 tabs open in Firefox runs over 41C and I have a liquid cooling...a 240mm AIO...sitting on it.

What's important is to keep the high temps in check when the processor is under heavy load on all cores. If that's good then if idle temps really are high I'd be worried about processes running I don't know about.
I am currently playing a game on roblox that is prop based and there are a lot of props in my area. My CPU temps are at 61 degrees Celsius. Is this ok considering its roblox? I am also running chrome and im in a discord call with two people, which probably adds to the high temps.

I am currently playing a game on roblox that is prop based and there are a lot of props in my area. My CPU temps are at 61 degrees Celsius. Is this ok considering its roblox? I am also running chrome and im in a discord call with two people, which probably adds to the high temps.
Those probably aren't nearly as processing intensive as you'd imagine.

If you have it run a stress test in CPU-Z, it's an easy download if you don't and easy to run. The stress test is on the Bench tab. See how temperatures behave when running a stress test.

Benton92

Commendable
Oct 13, 2019
Those probably aren't nearly as processing intensive as you'd imagine.

If you have it run a stress test in CPU-Z, it's an easy download if you don't and easy to run. The stress test is on the Bench tab. See how temperatures behave when running a stress test.
What should I do if my CPU temps are too high throughout the test?

Benton92

Commendable
Oct 13, 2019
Stop the test if it's scary high. The test isn't a defined time so you have to stop it either way but run it for at least 30 minutes to let temperatures inside the case stabilize.

I'd not consider it scary high unless it's pushing towards 95C or Tjmax, BTW.
Good news! I did some research and was able to find that the power saver plan is what I needed to use to get stable temps. I am now at 41 - 43 degrees celsius under a little bit of load. Is it ok if I use this power plan?

Dude, the temps you had were perfectly fine. I have a ryzen 1700x and have it overclocked to 3.8ghz.

When I've stress tested using Intel burn test, with all cores at 99% used, I get temps of 69 C. 95 is said to be the max safe. Mind always stay under 75.

Set things back to normal and just use the processor as it was before. As long as it's within AMD specs it's fine.

I think part of your information is coming from the days of the fx chips where 60 was considered high. But these new CPUs are different. Just enjoy it your chip and quit worrying so much.

As the poster above said though, if you're concerned, pick up a hyper 212 colder. If you're running at stock that should help the max temps at least. Then as long as everything stays within AMD specs, be happy.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

Aldo Ramdani

Commendable
Dec 8, 2019
Your idle temps is fine, take a look at each core on Ryzen Master, it's sleeping and boosting, that's mean your CPU is perfectly fine. When i use stock ryzen cooler with 2 fans only, the temps at idle is around 45-52, and when heavy load, it's around 63-70. The limit is 95 so there's nothing to worry about.

Benton92

Commendable
Oct 13, 2019
Your idle temps is fine, take a look at each core on Ryzen Master, it's sleeping and boosting, that's mean your CPU is perfectly fine. When i use stock ryzen cooler with 2 fans only, the temps at idle is around 45-52, and when heavy load, it's around 63-70. The limit is 95 so there's nothing to worry about.
BTW Wanted to say that I kinda know that these temps were fine, but the fans were just too loud for me and I didnt want to create a fan curve which does not boost fan speed when im playing a game at 70C just so the fans arent loud. I understand better why the CPU does this, but when this happened I kinda freaked out because, being a 14 year old, $200 dollars for a CPU is a lot for me. Thank you for helping me understand how Ryzen CPU's work! And thank you for giving me suggestions and quick responses.

Aldo Ramdani

Commendable
Dec 8, 2019
BTW Wanted to say that I kinda know that these temps were fine, but the fans were just too loud for me and I didnt want to create a fan curve which does not boost fan speed when im playing a game at 70C just so the fans arent loud. I understand better why the CPU does this, but when this happened I kinda freaked out because, being a 14 year old, $200 dollars for a CPU is a lot for me. Thank you for helping me understand how Ryzen CPU's work! And thank you for giving me suggestions and quick responses.
you can change it in your BIOS settings, i use ASRock and there's a "mode" for CPU Fan, like Silent Mode, Full Performance, Balanced, etc.