[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 extremly high temperature

AMRAAM

Honorable
Aug 25, 2016
Hi, i recently got myself a ryzen 5 3600 and its temperatures are a lot higher than i expected. i'm getting late 40s to high 50s temps in idle and a crazy high of 85-89 in games. tested it with cpux at 100% power and it went from a low 61 to 93 in a few seconds and i'm not overclocking it in any way or form. now i'm aware the ryzen series is supposed to run hot on idle but the other threads in here and reddit absolutely did not mention a 90+ degree temps with a 100% workload and i have tried the many fixes and tips from similar threads but none seems to be working. so far i have tried remounting the heatsink and applying my own thermal paste (MasterGel Pro V2 used it generously but didn't overdo it) and i also lowered the clock ratio and core voltages
in both the bios and the ryzen master to no avail and i am using a cheap offbrand case but the side panel is open and keep my room at a cool 55 to 65 temperatures. at this point i'm afraid to do any cpu heavy work fearing i might damage it and seriously buying an aftermarket cooler. any helps or tips would be appreciated.

Solution
Hi,
using the stock cooler and pretty sure it's screwed right and checked all the corners and put as much force i was comfortable with into it.
my case is using a single front intake fan which i moved it from the lower front position into the highest and aligning it with the cpu with another one in the rear.
my specs are:

psu : cooler master mwe gold 650w
cpu : ryzen 5 3600 on stock clocks
gpu: auss dual rx 6600
main: asus prime b550 plus
ram: corsair vengeance rgb 32gb
case: gamemax shine g517

since my last post i've managed to lower the load temps by lowering the clock and core voltages in the ryzen master to an abysmally low 3.0 ghz and 0.975v now it only reaches 80ish temps on 70-80% load which isn't bad but...
Hey there,

List your full pc specs.

What cooler are you using? Are you 100% sure it's back in place flush? If even one corner is not right, this can increase temps.

I've not used Mastergel Pro yet, but it seems comparable to Noctua NT H2 which I'm running on my laptop and gaming rig.

Okay, so the case isn't the best, but what kind of airflow is there. Any front fans intakes, rear of case for exhaust?

Reactions: AMRAAM

AMRAAM

Honorable
Aug 25, 2016
Hi,
using the stock cooler and pretty sure it's screwed right and checked all the corners and put as much force i was comfortable with into it.
my case is using a single front intake fan which i moved it from the lower front position into the highest and aligning it with the cpu with another one in the rear.
my specs are:

since my last post i've managed to lower the load temps by lowering the clock and core voltages in the ryzen master to an abysmally low 3.0 ghz and 0.975v now it only reaches 80ish temps on 70-80% load which isn't bad but chopping a good 0.4ish volts from the cores and 1/6th of the clock speed in order to lower the temps into a reasonable place doesn't seem right. i noticed my idle temps are now 55-60 instead of mid 40s to mid 50s i was getting before which again doesn't seem to make sense.

i'm convinced this is a mounting issue but i followed amd's guide and as far as i can tell the cooler is screwed shut with no wiggle room at all on the four corners.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi,
my specs are:

since my last post i've managed to lower the load temps by lowering the clock and core voltages in the ryzen master to an abysmally low 3.0 ghz and 0.975v now it only reaches 80ish temps on 70-80% load which isn't bad but chopping a good 0.4ish volts from the cores and 1/6th of the clock speed in order to lower the temps into a reasonable place doesn't seem right. i noticed my idle temps are now 55-60 instead of mid 40s to mid 50s i was getting before which again doesn't seem to make sense.

i'm convinced this is a mounting issue but i followed amd's guide and as far as i can tell the cooler is screwed shut with no wiggle room at all on the four corners.
Are you using the stock 3600 cooler?
If so buy a decent aftermarket cooler.

Hi,
my specs are:

What is the BIOS version you are using for the Asus Prime B550 Plus motherboard ?

Whats your average room temp in celsius?

With the frecuency, voltage and temps you listed up there, either theres something wrong with your motherboard, your bios version and/or settings, or the cooler is not work,ing properly.

On a hot day, I could run the Ryzen 5 3600 with stock cooler at base settings (this means turbo boost OFF, at 3.6GHz, all other BIOS settings on default/auto) and it will be closer to 65°C while runing CB R20 for 10 mins. I have never seen higher than 87~88 °C with stock cooler Turbo ON, runing CB R20 for 10 minutes.

The first thing I would do, is check your BIOS version, and make sure to Restore Default Setting + Save and Exit.

Then go back to BIOS and be sure there aren't any strange "Auto-overclocking option enable" many motherboard vendors do this by default.

Also on Windows, be sure you are not using any strange motherboard app from ASUS. You only need chipset drivers from AMD website, and then you can download any other driver from ASUS global page. Don't install any other crappy app you don't need.

For monitoring temps I would recommend hwinfo64 portable - "Sensors Only" option (this will allow you to keep the app runing, while testing or runing games, and then come back at anytime to check Max TEMP, Voltage, etc. Theres even a reset values button to clear the monitoring values before each test/game) , which can be downloaded from its official page (https://www.hwinfo.com/download/). If you don't like that one, then use Ryzen Master. Everything else may not report the right temps.

Solution

AMRAAM

Honorable
Aug 25, 2016
Are you using the stock 3600 cooler?
If so buy a decent aftermarket cooler.

Hi, i am and i'm going to do so very soon considering my current temps.
was thinking of either a hyper 212 black edition or the ma410m.

What is the BIOS version you are using for the Asus Prime B550 Plus motherboard ?

Whats your average room temp in celsius?

With the frecuency, voltage and temps you listed up there, either theres something wrong with your motherboard, your bios version and/or settings, or the cooler is not work,ing properly.

On a hot day, I could run the Ryzen 5 3600 with stock cooler at base settings (this means turbo boost OFF, at 3.6GHz, all other BIOS settings on default/auto) and it will be closer to 65°C while runing CB R20 for 10 mins. I have never seen higher than 87~88 °C with stock cooler Turbo ON, runing CB R20 for 10 minutes.

The first thing I would do, is check your BIOS version, and make sure to Restore Default Setting + Save and Exit.

Then go back to BIOS and be sure there aren't any strange "Auto-overclocking option enable" many motherboard vendors do this by default.

Also on Windows, be sure you are not using any strange motherboard app from ASUS. You only need chipset drivers from AMD website, and then you can download any other driver from ASUS global page. Don't install any other crappy app you don't need.

For monitoring temps I would recommend hwinfo64 portable - "Sensors Only" option (this will allow you to keep the app runing, while testing or runing games, and then come back at anytime to check Max TEMP, Voltage, etc. Theres even a reset values button to clear the monitoring values before each test/game) , which can be downloaded from its official page (https://www.hwinfo.com/download/). If you don't like that one, then use Ryzen Master. Everything else may not report the right temps.

I'm using the latest bios, Version 2803 straight from Asus's website.

my rooms temps would be around 15 to 20 celsius during the day and mostly lower than that during colder days.

i only installed the chipset drivers and the ryzen master along with aftreburner and hwinfo for osd, i did mess around with the bios setting before, the only thing thats enabled is the Xmp settings but i might have messed with other setting and forgot to reset them back to the default option . i'll restore the defaults and disable any oc options i see.

AMRAAM

Honorable
Aug 25, 2016
Right so after a couple of hours of fiddling with the BIOS and turning off PBO i've managed to bring the idle temps down from stratosphere into the 40s and getting 81-82 in r20 but i still had to lower the core voltages to 1.125v to get these temps. It's crazy how hot this 65w TDP chip runs in turbo and i thought my old fx-8350 was the closest thing to the sun's temperature.
I'm still gonna to get an aftermarket cooler either way and see if can maybe increase the core voltages back to its original value.
I appreciate the help fellas.

Reactions: RodroX
Right so after a couple of hours of fiddling with the BIOS and turning off PBO i've managed to bring the idle temps down from stratosphere into the 40s and getting 81-82 in r20 but i still had to lower the core voltages to 1.125v to get these temps. It's crazy how hot this 65w TDP chip runs in turbo and i thought my old fx-8350 was the closest thing to the sun's temperature.
I'm still gonna to get an aftermarket cooler either way and see if can maybe increase the core voltages back to its original value.
I appreciate the help fellas.

Any decent-budget 120mm tower cooler should do the job, like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/q6...20-refined-se-6617-cfm-cpu-cooler-ax120-se-d3.

The difference between the FX-8350 and the Ryzen 5 3600 is the massive performance leap.

And then again, if you ask me ~80° C is not that hot, keep in mind the real TDP is around 88 Watts (with PBO disable), and you get really awesome performance from this cheap CPU.

Also GPUs when at ~95% utilization also run at around 80°C, and most of them comes with really big heatsinks (compared to the tiny stock Wraith Stealth Cooler) and usually 2 fans.

Its a good practice, before and after you install a BIOS update, to resore the default settings. Another thign to try is clear CMOS, there should be instructions on the mobo manual.

Yes, this! CMOS clear is very important and is often a contributor to issues after a bios update. Without the CMOS clear you can have all sorts of bugs caused by remnants of the older microcode lying around.

Last edited: