Question Ryzen 5 3600 Fabric Clock defaults to 1200 instead of 1067 after switching in BIOS CSM to UEFI

gabi222

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
So my problem is that the CPU runs pretty hot. Long story short I said I will not use XMP for now until I figure out what to do.
CPU is paired with Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory so this means as default it runs in sync with the memory and in Ryzen Master utility both Memory Clock and Fabric Clock are 1067

In BIOS changing under 'windows OS configuration' the default CSM to UEFI and booting in Windows will show the Fabric Clock at a fixed value 1200.
Maybe someone knows how can this ever happen, is this technically an overclock? Noticed my temps shoot up and I had no idea what happened

Just trying to figure out what impact does this have over how the CPU performs and trying to confirm it's a really bad idea to have this value upped with the stock cooler

Thanks for the help if anyone knows

This is the RAM in question, default is 2133 and XMP would enable3200MHz.
VENGEANCE® LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit - Black

Last edited:
So my problem is that the CPU runs pretty hot. Long story short I said I will not use XMP for now until I figure out what to do.
CPU is paired with Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory so this means as default it runs in sync with the memory and in Ryzen Master utility both Memory Clock and Fabric Clock are 1067

In BIOS changing under 'windows OS configuration' the default CSM to UEFI and booting in Windows will show the Fabric Clock at a fixed value 1200.
Maybe someone knows how can this ever happen, is this technically an overclock? Noticed my temps shoot up and I had no idea what happened

Just trying to figure out what impact does this have over how the CPU performs and trying to confirm it's a really bad idea to have this value upped with the stock cooler

Thanks for the help if anyone knows
1067 * 2 = 2133, and 1200 * 2 = 2400 which are default DDR4 clock speeds when improperly set up.

You probably failed to train memory at some point and it's getting stuck at default now. I'd do a CMOS reset and start over.

AFTER the CMOS reset enable XMP and see what it does.

gabi222

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
1067 * 2 = 2133, and 1200 * 2 = 2400 which are default DDR4 clock speeds when improperly set up.

You probably failed to train memory at some point and it's getting stuck at default now. I'd do a CMOS reset and start over.

AFTER the CMOS reset enable XMP and see what it does.
I am not sure what memory training is

Anyway this is happening with no XMP enabled and only with the setting I mentioned.When I set XMP it is correctly set to 1600 (or 3200 not sure what it shows).

With no XMP

i see 1200 in windows when BIOS 'windows OS configuration' = UEFI

i see 1067 in windows with BIOS 'windows OS configuration' = CSM. This is the correct value right, because the RAM runs at 2133 by default

None of those values are what it should be running at.

F clock should be running at 1600mhz with ram at 3200mhz.

You can manually adjust clockspeed to what it should be.

XMP is not enabled so it can't run at 3200

XMP is not enabled so it can't run at 3200
IF always runs at the memory clock speed (unless you de-sync IF, which you can do with Ryzen 3000) which is 1/2 DDR4 transaction speed. So the DDR4 clock speed has to be 1600 to get transaction speed of 3200. That's what XMP does so with it off it will be a default DDR4 clock speed of either 1067/2133 or 1200/2400. UEFI vs CSM has nothing to do with it insofar as I know.

Memory training is the CPU 'learning' what the correct timings are for initializing memory. Sometimes it fails and then just defaults to 2133 or 2400. Resetting CMOS can make it go at it again.

Reactions: gabi222

gabi222

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
IF always runs at the memory clock speed (unless you de-sync IF, which you can do with Ryzen 3000) which is 1/2 DDR4 transaction speed. So the DDR4 clock speed has to be 1600 to get transaction speed of 3200. That's what XMP does so with it off it will be a default DDR4 clock speed of either 1067/2133 or 1200/2400. UEFI vs CSM has nothing to do with it insofar as I know.

Memory training is the CPU 'learning' what the correct timings are for initializing memory. Sometimes it fails and then just defaults to 2133 or 2400. Resetting CMOS can make it go at it again.

Yes it's wild what happened, being a new build xmp was off and i noticed in windows fabric was same as memory, xmp enabled it was again ok and it was running at 3200 then i wanted to see my temps without xmp and turned it off but later i switched that setting. I double checked and with the UEFI enabled the 1200 Mhz thing happens, when CSM enabled fabric = memory speed. And the temps were way worse but i guess that counted as an OC because fabric was higher than memory speed (i am not sure but i imagine thats the case)

I don't follow. Why is xmp off?
CPU reaching 85-86 degrees in warzone for example. It's a new build only now figuring out if I need a new cooler, what are my temps etc etc
XMP is off by default when you first start a system right?

Last edited:

gabi222

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
OK big update, that problem is now gone...
I just went to bios and removed all CSM options but one by one and now the 1200 IF value is gone and memory=IF=1067. I have no idea what happened and as you all said, the UEFI only option cannot be directly causing this. I think at one point I set the memory to 3000 with the XMP loaded, but even after reverting that to auto and removing the XMP I was still seeing IF=1200 for no reason, something probably messed up temporarly in the BIOS...

Yes it is.

What are your system specs? Intel bundled cpu coolers are terrible. AMD's are functional and OK enough when the system is left in stock configuration. But third party coolers can do wonders for some CPU's.

MOBO MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 with default stock cooler (Wraith Stealth I think)
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory

I have to confess I did something stupid, after the system ran for 1,5-2 weeks I noticed that one of the screws on the CPU fan was not screwed in all the way, think I got 2.5 or so more rotations. Now all the screws are in but I don't know if that one slip-up requires reapplying the thermal paste (really hope its not the case)

XMP is very unlikely to change cpu temp.
Think after a few tests it was a few degrees higher but again, it could also be I insterted an issue with that setting (when I finally disabled it and wanted to save the BIOS, I got like 5-6 changes detected related to that one setting so maybe it was not dirrectly involved but one of those caused the slight OC of the IF )

Last edited:
Now all the screws are in but I don't know if that one slip-up requires reapplying the thermal paste (really hope its not the case)
No it doesn't. But beware over tightening screws. The Wraith coolers (except the Prism) have screws with built in springs that maintain correct pressure on the CPU. Tighten them just enough until it takes up the spring and no more.

Reactions: gabi222

gabi222

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
No it doesn't. But beware over tightening screws. The Wraith coolers (except the Prism) have screws with built in springs that maintain correct pressure on the CPU. Tighten them just enough until it takes up the spring and no more.
I am not sure what 'taking up the spring' means, it's probably a native English expression, like screwing just until it won''t go further and stop?
I want to be sure I am not messing this up because I think the screws literally have a metallic string-like part or something near the bottom, but it seemed to me that screwing doesn't get to push that part down, have no idea what is the meaning of that :)