Question Ryzen 5 3600 heating up while playing World of Tanks in minimum setting! What should I do?

JitD

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
So, my less than 1 year old system ( Ryzen 5 3600 with MSI B 450 Tomahawak Max and Galax GTX 1660 Ti) is giving me this strange problem from the last 2-3 weeks! It all started while playing the game mentioned in the title, World of Tanks with the Ping (normally I get around 80-100ms) going upto 400ms suddenly in game! It was a huge problem as with the Ping going up my screen was getting freezed for 2-3 secs and I was losing complete control of the game. When I contacted the Game Support they asked me to do a Tracert and they found nothing on the Tracert. Then they asked me to check the Game with a programme named WGCheck Tool (which is their inhouse tool as far as I know) and replied to me that my CPU temp was going upto 77 C which is not normal. After that they also asked me to check with another programme,CoreTemp while playing the game and presently I have sent them the Core Temp report. I would relly really like to have some other advice/suggestion too as from the previous experience with the Game Support I don't have too high hopes on them! My fear now is that at any moment my PC might get fried and it would take almost a year for me to again rebuild it if it gets that bad! Also, I am from India nad we live in a hot and humid atmosphere and I do not have any Air Cooling system in my house....

My PC specs :

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Ram: 12GB ( DDR 4, Dual Channel, NB Frequency 1066.4 MHz)
SSD/HDD: WD SSD 256GB, Samsung EVO SSD 256GB, Seagate HDD 1 TB, Seagate External HDD 1 TB.
GPU: Gallax GeFOrce GTX 1660 Ti
PSU: COrsair VS 450W.
Chassis: Ant Esports ICE - 300TG Mid Tower Gaming Cabinet with 4x120mm Fans( 3 front and one back)

I can attach a more detailed specsheet from CPUz is needed and also th COreTemp Report which is an Excel file as I see it...... Please, excuse any error I made in the post as I'm quite a noob in these things! Thanks and good day to you all!!!

P.S. - As I doubt the issue might be related to my CPU Cooler, I would like to mention that I have the default cooler that came with the Processor installed only.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avro Arrow

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
I'm not sure what are the normal temps for 3rd gen Ryzen, but with the stock cooler and hotter environment, 77° C looks alright. You may or may not see an improvement by opening the side panel, depending on how good the airflow inside the case is.
(It's not related to your question), but can you confirm your memory is running at the advertised frequency? That will impact the performance, especially for a Ryzen chip.

Reactions: JitD

JitD

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
I'm not sure what are the normal temps for 3rd gen Ryzen, but with the stock cooler and hotter environment, 77° C looks alright. You may or may not see an improvement by opening the side panel, depending on how good the airflow inside the case is.
(It's not related to your question), but can you confirm your memory is running at the advertised frequency? That will impact the performance, especially for a Ryzen chip.

Thank you! Can you please suggest how do I check the memory setting, with an App I suppose? And also, will a new Cooler, preferably Corsair Hydro H60 ( the most affordable one I can get at this moment) help in this situation?
Again thanks for your reply!

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
Thank you! Can you please suggest how do I check the memory setting, with an App I suppose? And also, will a new Cooler, preferably Corsair Hydro H60 ( the most affordable one I can get at this moment) help in this situation?
Again thanks for your reply!
In CPU-Z, to to "Memory" and multiply the value of "DRAM Frequency" by 2 to find out the frequency it's currently running at.

First I'd like to say "Bravo!" to you for offering as much information as you have because it makes helping you so much easier. You get a like for that! :)

Now, down to figuring out the problem... First I'd like to assauge any concerns you have about your computer getting fried. Your CPU would first throttle itself and slow down if it started to approach dangerous temperatures and you would get a "Blue Screen of Death" (BSOD) which would stop the computer dead in its tracks before you reached truly dangerous temperatures so never fear.

Looking at everything you've written, I don't think that the problem is your CPU. As high as 77°C sounds, it really isn't that high considering that you're in India and although I don't know where in India you are, I know that the temperatures in New Delhi can easily go over 40°C. Over the next 7 days, the average high in New Delhi will be about 34°C which could easily increase the CPU temperature by 9-12°C over what most tech sites would get simply because you're starting at a higher temperature. They generally test with an ambient temperature of 22-25°C so this would make sense.

Techspot's review of the R5-3600 referred to 68°C as "still very cool" when overclocking with an AIO. When overclocking on air, Steve was seeing the temperature going as high as 84°C and he wasn't the least bit concerned. If Steve Walton (Hardware Unboxed on YouTube) isn't concerned about a CPU's temperature, it means that it's nothing to worry about and that was 7°C higher than the 77°C that you're talking about.

Now, it's possible that the room you're in has bad air circulation which would compound the heat problem because there's nowhere for the heat to escape to and as you said yourself, you don't have A/C. Inside a house or building, the temperature is actually higher than the outside because of human body heat and a lack of natural wind. You could also try using a different thermal paste but to be honest, the Wraith Spire that it came with is the same cooler that I have on my 8-core R7-1700 and it works just fine despite the R7-1700 putting out more heat than the 6-core R5-3600.

As for the ping latency, that has absolutely nothing to do with your PC. Your Internet Service Provider or World of Tanks' servers may have been having technical issues but your internet speed and ping latency has absolutely nothing to do with your CPU, GPU or anything else in your PC. I've played World of Tanks myself (although I much prefer World of Warships) and, like most online games, it's not very hardware-intensive because they want as many people as possible to be able to play it. That's how they make their money.

Now, I may be wrong (although I seriously doubt it) but I don't think that there's anything wrong with your PC. You said yourself that you're a bit of a noob at this and I think that you just misunderstood an internet problem and thought it was your PC. This is why the Tracert didn't find anything. There was nothing to find.

Reactions: 3bec and JitD

JitD

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
First I'd like to say "Bravo!" to you for offering as much information as you have because it makes helping you so much easier. You get a like for that! :)

Now, down to figuring out the problem... First I'd like to assauge any concerns you have about your computer getting fried. Your CPU would first throttle itself and slow down if it started to approach dangerous temperatures and you would get a "Blue Screen of Death" (BSOD) which would stop the computer dead in its tracks before you reached truly dangerous temperatures so never fear.

Looking at everything you've written, I don't think that the problem is your CPU. As high as 77°C sounds, it really isn't that high considering that you're in India and although I don't know where in India you are, I know that the temperatures in New Delhi can easily go over 40°C. Over the next 7 days, the average high in New Delhi will be about 34°C which could easily increase the CPU temperature by 9-12°C over what most tech sites would get simply because you're starting at a higher temperature. They generally test with an ambient temperature of 22-25°C so this would make sense.

Techspot's review of the R5-3600 referred to 68°C as "still very cool" when overclocking with an AIO. When overclocking on air, Steve was seeing the temperature going as high as 84°C and he wasn't the least bit concerned. If Steve Walton (Hardware Unboxed on YouTube) isn't concerned about a CPU's temperature, it means that it's nothing to worry about and that was 7°C higher than the 77°C that you're talking about.

Now, it's possible that the room you're in has bad air circulation which would compound the heat problem because there's nowhere for the heat to escape to and as you said yourself, you don't have A/C. Inside a house or building, the temperature is actually higher than the outside because of human body heat and a lack of natural wind. You could also try using a different thermal paste but to be honest, the Wraith Spire that it came with is the same cooler that I have on my 8-core R7-1700 and it works just fine despite the R7-1700 putting out more heat than the 6-core R5-3600.

As for the ping latency, that has absolutely nothing to do with your PC. Your Internet Service Provider or World of Tanks' servers may have been having technical issues but your internet speed and ping latency has absolutely nothing to do with your CPU, GPU or anything else in your PC. I've played World of Tanks myself (although I much prefer World of Warships) and, like most online games, it's not very hardware-intensive because they want as many people as possible to be able to play it. That's how they make their money.

Now, I may be wrong (although I seriously doubt it) but I don't think that there's anything wrong with your PC. You said yourself that you're a bit of a noob at this and I think that you just misunderstood an internet problem and thought it was your PC. This is why the Tracert didn't find anything. There was nothing to find.

Thank you for assuring me on that "fried" part.... It's hard to get hold of a decent PC after looking after the family, specially as in our society gaming is seen as a time waster :(
I am in the southerns parts of India, and though for this month we are having a temperature of around 30°C due to seasonal rain, for most of the year we have over and around 40-45°C here. Hell, every year the temperature is going up and up and up..... So its always a fear on the back of my mind that something might get too hot inside the PC Cabinet.
Again you are correct about the bad air circulation part, as I have to keep the PC in a corner, away from my 2 year old son as he frequently tugs at things kept over a table, so I have to keep it as far away from him as possible. Till he grows up a bit more...
I think I will just wait and see what the Wargaming Support guys cook up and will post it here for all of you.
Again, I appreciate very much the time you took to go through all of this....Thanks!

Indeed, is good to see you provided such a huge amount of info in a very clear way.

For your question, if the Max temp your CPU reach while gaming is really 77°C, then you should be ok.

If you are getting that temp with the stock cooler, it means that you should probably have a very good case for airflow and a very well mounted case fans setup.

As for your monitoring tool, I only like 2 of them for Ryzen 3rd gen, Ryzen Master and hwinfo 64.
If you ask me to pick one I'll pick hwinfo 64, theres no need to install anything, just download the program and run the "sensors only" option and you will have a view of lots of sensors (volategs, frecuency, power draw, temps, etc. for every component inside your system), with column called "MAX" that will keep the maximum value for you to see after a gaming sesion.

And finally i would really try a non-online game for stuttering or frame drops, cause really with the current pandemic internet conection is not the best thing to trust.

Thank you for assuring me on that "fried" part.... It's hard to get hold of a decent PC after looking after the family, specially as in our society gaming is seen as a time waster :(
I am in the southerns parts of India, and though for this month we are having a temperature of around 30°C due to seasonal rain, for most of the year we have over and around 40-45°C here. Hell, every year the temperature is going up and up and up..... So its always a fear on the back of my mind that something might get too hot inside the PC Cabinet.
Again you are correct about the bad air circulation part, as I have to keep the PC in a corner, away from my 2 year old son as he frequently tugs at things kept over a table, so I have to keep it as far away from him as possible. Till he grows up a bit more...
I think I will just wait and see what the Wargaming Support guys cook up and will post it here for all of you.
Again, I appreciate very much the time you took to go through all of this....Thanks!
I understand why you keep it in the corner, you don't want your son pulling on the wrong thing to be sure! Now, this may sound odd but there is a way to get "free A/C" of a sort:

1.) Freeze some large (2L if available) plastic coke bottles full of water.
2.) Take one out, put it in a large bowl on your kitchen table (or a table in whatever room you want cooled).
3.) Have an electric fan blowing air directly on to the frozen bottle.
4.) When the bottle is fully melted, put it back in the freezer and take another frozen bottle out to do the same thing.
5.) Make sure to dump the accumulated water that will gather in the bowl and make sure that your windows are all closed tight.

This will not only cool your air but it will also dehumidify it because the humidity in the air will condense on to the frozen bottles (which is why they should be kept standing in a large bowl).

Try it out, you'll thank me for it!

JitD

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
Your memory speed is way too low.
I could not upgrade the Rams when changing from my old PC. Had to cut corners. I agree that it was foolish, but that's one of the two places where I had to make sacrifices ( the next being my old Corsair VS450). However , it's on my to-do list. In fact if not for this Covid condition, I might already have replaced the Rams with newer versions by now.

JitD

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
I understand why you keep it in the corner, you don't want your son pulling on the wrong thing to be sure! Now, this may sound odd but there is a way to get "free A/C" of a sort:

1.) Freeze some large (2L if available) plastic coke bottles full of water.
2.) Take one out, put it in a large bowl on your kitchen table (or a table in whatever room you want cooled).
3.) Have an electric fan blowing air directly on to the frozen bottle.
4.) When the bottle is fully melted, put it back in the freezer and take another frozen bottle out to do the same thing.
5.) Make sure to dump the accumulated water that will gather in the bowl and make sure that your windows are all closed tight.

This will not only cool your air but it will also dehumidify it because the humidity in the air will condense on to the frozen bottles (which is why they should be kept standing in a large bowl).

Try it out, you'll thank me for it!

This is a great idea!!!

I could not upgrade the Rams when changing from my old PC. Had to cut corners. I agree that it was foolish, but that's one of the two places where I had to make sacrifices ( the next being my old Corsair VS450). However , it's on my to-do list. In fact if not for this Covid condition, I might already have replaced the Rams with newer versions by now.

Ryzen does love fast RAM speeds, maybe Im wrong here but still DDR4 2133 MHz (which seems the current speed of yours) should not affect a game like world of tanks (which can run on very, very modest hardware).
Perhaps something like RDR 2, or Battleflied 5, or the new Star Wars title.
How are you mixing the RAM sticks to get 12GB of total?, 4+8, 4+4+4, I foiund it hard to dual channel be really working. Dual channel not been enable may affect your FPS, but should not impact your "ping".
Thats why I would really test with a non-online game to see if the problem persist.

JitD

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
Indeed, is good to see you provided such a huge amount of info in a very clear way.

For your question, if the Max temp your CPU reach while gaming is really 77°C, then you should be ok.

If you are getting that temp with the stock cooler, it means that you should probably have a very good case for airflow and a very well mounted case fans setup.

As for your monitoring tool, I only like 2 of them for Ryzen 3rd gen, Ryzen Master and hwinfo 64.
If you ask me to pick one I'll pick hwinfo 64, theres no need to install anything, just download the program and run the "sensors only" option and you will have a view of lots of sensors (volategs, frecuency, power draw, temps, etc. for every component inside your system), with column called "MAX" that will keep the maximum value for you to see after a gaming sesion.

And finally i would really try a non-online game for stuttering or frame drops, cause really with the current pandemic internet conection is not the best thing to trust.

I have downloaded the Hinfo64 and will try it tomorrow. AS for other games, I play the Hitman 2 , Red Dead 2 ( offline only) regularly and they run without any problem on High Graphics settings... I think I will check the temp next time I play any of them.

I have downloaded the Hinfo64 and will try it tomorrow. AS for other games, I play the Hitman 2 , Red Dead 2 ( offline only) regularly and they run without any problem on High Graphics settings... I think I will check the temp next time I play any of them.

Can it be that your modem gets hot too, after playing for a while I mean, and thus the high latency spikes on your conection (big pin)?

JitD

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
Can it be that your modem gets hot too, after playing for a while I mean, and thus the high latency spikes on your conection (big pin)?

Yes!!! It gets hot!!! Is that it??? In our room, the cell reception is bad and that's why I bought the modem so that my wife could use the net also... It's a TP Link one ,

Now that you say it, it gets hot from time to time... So, tha's another angle I have to look into. Thanks!

Yes!!! It gets hot!!! Is that it??? In our room, the cell reception is bad and that's why I bought the modem so that my wife could use the net also... It's a TP Link one ,

Now that you say it, it gets hot from time to time... So, tha's another angle I have to look into. Thanks!

Well I have problems with my modem on summer too, it gets too hot and I start to loose conection and/or packages. The only solution I found, since is not mine and from the provider is to unplugged it and let it rest for a while (10 mins), then it will work falwlessly again. If it was my modem I would have probably opened and started to glue heat sinks (with thermal pads) all over it :)

Im not saying this is the issue for sure, but it could be very much related too, I found no other explanation (for now) with the info I have, considering Hitman 2 and RDR2 works fine.

JitD

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
Well I have problems with my modem on summer too, it gets too hot and I start to loose conection and/or packages. The only solution I found, since is not mine and from the provider is to unplugged it and let it rest for a while (10 mins), then it will work falwlessly again. If it was my modem I would have probably opened and started to glue heat sinks (with thermal pads) all over it :)

Im not saying this is the issue for sure, but it could be very much related too, I found no other explanation (for now) with the info I have, considering Hitman 2 and RDR2 works fine.
Actually, it is tough for me now to unplug the modem and go back to the wired system. I have no problem, but now that my wife has been introduced to the world of Youtube and Facebook and so many online movie apps, she won't let me unplug the modem! The cell reception is pretty <Mod Edit> in our room, I can't even run a low res Youtube video without buffering with mt cellphone signal. I have read about it in WoT forum also that it's better to run a wired net than the modem.
Well, it's already nighttime here, so I'm going out for today. I will post the reply I get from Wargaming tomorrow (hopefully). Good night!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck, and you don't really need to unplug the modem yet, just try to feel with your hand how warm or cold does it feels when doing youtube, facebook and/or working, and then check out how hot it feels after 1 hour of WoT.
Also I should not get into this but oh well, could it be that perhaps your wife was watching youtube at FHD or higher in the cell phone while you were trying to play WoT?, and thus the problems with the game conection?

JitD

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
Good luck, and you don't really need to unplug the modem yet, just try to feel with your hand how warm or cold does it feels when doing youtube, facebook and/or working, and then check out how hot it feels after 1 hour of WoT.
Also I should not get into this but oh well, could it be that perhaps your wife was watching youtube at FHD or higher in the cell phone while you were trying to play WoT?, and thus the problems with the game conection?

Actually, today from the morning I am watching Youtube constantly, it has been almost 4 hours now and the modem is still cool. So, it is either WoT that's making the modem hot or the position where I have kept it. By the way, I got a reply from the Wargaming Support guys and they think it is the CPU overheating, here is what they think it is :

"Thank you for the report you have sent.
I am afraid that your CPU overheats and doesn't handle the load: the highest temperature is 87 C° with under than 50% load.

We kindly ask you to take care of the "health" of the processor cooling system: to clean the heatsink and fan from dust. Update the heat-conducting thermal interface ("thermal grease") if you have the skills since under such conditions normal functioning is impossible and is fraught with thermal damage to both the processor and the system board and other components.

If you have any other questions, feel free to come back to us."

As a precaution, I think I will refrain from any WoT for now. I am trying to contact someone who can come and check the PC inside. If it fails, due to the present lockdown situation, I will myself try to clean up the Heatsink and the dust inside. I will keep updating the thread....... I am also thinking about changing the old Rams and the best I can get now are these :
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07B4FRMGV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Please do let me know if you have any idea on this model. Thanks, and I will keep updating the thread.

Actually, today from the morning I am watching Youtube constantly, it has been almost 4 hours now and the modem is still cool. So, it is either WoT that's making the modem hot or the position where I have kept it. By the way, I got a reply from the Wargaming Support guys and they think it is the CPU overheating, here is what they think it is :

"Thank you for the report you have sent.
I am afraid that your CPU overheats and doesn't handle the load: the highest temperature is 87 C° with under than 50% load.

We kindly ask you to take care of the "health" of the processor cooling system: to clean the heatsink and fan from dust. Update the heat-conducting thermal interface ("thermal grease") if you have the skills since under such conditions normal functioning is impossible and is fraught with thermal damage to both the processor and the system board and other components.

If you have any other questions, feel free to come back to us."

As a precaution, I think I will refrain from any WoT for now. I am trying to contact someone who can come and check the PC inside. If it fails, due to the present lockdown situation, I will myself try to clean up the Heatsink and the dust inside. I will keep updating the thread....... I am also thinking about changing the old Rams and the best I can get now are these :
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07B4FRMGV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Please do let me know if you have any idea on this model. Thanks, and I will keep updating the thread.

I don't know what else to said, in fact I would keep saying the same thing if I was in your place, I would turn off/disable every monitoring tool you been using (all of them), download hwinfo64 portable (https://www.hwinfo.com/download/), Run the program using the "Sensors Only" option, and take a good look at the user interface to undersatand what is showing.

Basically since the issue could be the temperature you should look at the CPU(Tctl/Tdie) option under the "CPU [#0]: AMD Ryzen 5 3600: Enhanced" (or similar) title.

You will notice the interface have 5 rows: Sensor, Current, Minimum, Maximum and Average. The Maximum column will keep the track of the Max value every sensor read while you doing stuff with the PC.

Now the only thing left is to use the PC and keep an eye on the MAX column for the sensor "CPU(Tctl/Tdie)", when you feel like it you can turn on WoT and play, while playing Im pretty sure you should be able to change tabs and check the windows desktop, find hwinfo (which should be runing) and see the MAX column, if the value said 80°C or less the CPU would not be the issue, heck I'll dare to said anything below 83°C should be fine.

Thats what I would do to know whats going on while I use my computer for work and light load stuff and what happends when I use it for playing.

In fact you can repeat the same process with all 3 games, Hitman 2, RDR2 and WoT and see which one makes the CPU run hotter.

I repeat again, make sure to disable/turn OFF any other monitoring tool/software that may be installed on your system. Having two monitoring software runing at the same time can mess up the readings of the sensors.