Question Ryzen 5 3600 high idle temps and gaming temps

Freeze Aim

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
Hello all!

So for some reason my ryzen CPU temps are spiking constantly, and not only that but the temps are a bit too high. While surfing the web and such I can get spikes from i.e 45c to 65c in a second. Can someone tell me if this is normal?

Specs:
MB: MSI b450 AC pro carbon
RAM: 2x8GB @3200mhz corsair vengeance
GPU: asus dual fan rx 480 4GB
CPU cooler: Corsair h100i pro RGB (240mm)

jakedude182

Commendable
Jan 9, 2020
Hi I recently upgraded from intel to amd and bought the same motherboard cpu and ram as you. I noticed with CPUID and coretemp the temperature spikes the same for me. The first thing I did was reseat the cpu with different thermal paste application which made about 1 or 2 degrees lower cpu temps. A negligible amount considering the spikes up in coretemp often.

My average temperature Tctl/Tdie in Hwinfo is 45-50 degrees but can spike up to 65 easily when changing a table in chrome or something simple which concerned me a lot. All default bios settings.

After a lot of looking through forums and reddit i've found that these spikes up of ~20 degrees are normal ryzen behaviour now. And that compared to the nice gentle movement of the intel cpu idle temperatures of the past these new 7nm hot chips are very reactive.

'' who know how a Ryzen 3000 works regarding boost behavior, but you should also understand that for the first time in history AMD has shown the hot spot of the entire CPU die/ccx/ccd.
Ryzen CPUs have more than 60 temp sensors per CCD (on 8cores that is or 2xCCXs). All other CPUs (Intel) including the Ryzen 1000/2000 series report the CCD edge temp located to 1 edge of the die/CCD. They do have multiple sensors but using them only internally for frequency/voltage regulation, and don’t report them.

The reported temp of Ryzen 3000 is the hot spot as I said and the internal monitoring of the CPU instantly switching to report the hottest sensor. It doesn’t mean that all other CPUs run cooler. You just don’t see it as those CPUs constantly report only 1 sensor at one edge of the die.''

In HWinfo the CPU Die (average) temperature setting now is the closest calculated to the ryzen master reading. Its not exactly the same but it is close enough.

You will notice these temperatures are lower than the CPU Tctl hotspot temperature. Coretemp reads the hotspot temperature and i think the bios does also.
This isn't good for fans ramping up to cool the cpu and then the temperature spike has dropped say 20 degrees again in a few seconds and the fans are all over the place. So setting up an even fan curve in the bios is what many have done.
Some people have disabled PBO at the cost of reducing all cores to 3.6Mhz speed I think so that the overall voltage isn't spiking up and boosting the cpu and then the idle temperatures can stay cooler. This isn't great in my opinion as its decreasing performance.

Ryzen master software has their own unique calculation for their temperature which is lower than other software. So i'm accepting now that my idle temperature average is more true to read and is about 8 degrees or so lower all the time than the peak hotspot temperature..

Hope this helps, some good further reading links:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ckm75y/new_ryzen_master_temperature_lower_than_other/

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/ryzen-3600-idle-temperature-fluctuation.260615/

Last edited:

Freeze Aim

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
Hi I recently upgraded from intel to amd and bought the same motherboard cpu and ram as you. I noticed with CPUID and coretemp the temperature spikes the same for me. The first thing I did was reseat the cpu with different thermal paste application which made about 1 or 2 degrees lower cpu temps. A negligible amount considering the spikes up in coretemp often.

My average temperature Tctl/Tdie in Hwinfo is 45-50 degrees but can spike up to 65 easily when changing a table in chrome or something simple which concerned me a lot. All default bios settings.

After a lot of looking through forums and reddit i've found that these spikes up of ~20 degrees are normal ryzen behaviour now. And that compared to the nice gentle movement of the intel cpu idle temperatures of the past these new 7nm hot chips are very reactive.

In HWinfo the CPU Die (average) temperature setting now is the closest calculated to the ryzen master reading. Its not exactly the same but it is close enough.

You will notice these temperatures are lower than the CPU Tctl hotspot temperature. Coretemp reads the hotspot temperature and i think the bios does also.
This isn't good for fans ramping up to cool the cpu and then the temperature spike has dropped say 20 degrees again in a few seconds and the fans are all over the place. So setting up an even fan curve in the bios is what many have done.
Some people have disabled PBO at the cost of reducing all cores to 3.6Mhz speed I think so that the overall voltage isn't spiking up and boosting the cpu and then the idle temperatures can stay cooler. This isn't great in my opinion as its decreasing performance.

Ryzen master software has their own unique calculation for their temperature which is lower than other software. So i'm accepting now that my idle temperature average is more true to read and is about 8 degrees or so lower all the time than the peak hotspot temperature..

Hope this helps, some good further reading links:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ckm75y/new_ryzen_master_temperature_lower_than_other/

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/ryzen-3600-idle-temperature-fluctuation.260615/
Yeah, I’ve read that. Unfortunately, I’ve learned that the ryzen processors seems to be this way. But during gaming load, it is actually not that bad. It spikes up to 74C according to afterburner, but usually stays at 65-69C. This is good considering I put my AIO fans on silent mode. But thanks for the insight, though!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What many don't get is that they own a Ryzen, not an intel. And they are stuck thinking that it's a cpu, therefore should work like an intel. It doesn't. It's not an intel cpu it's a Ryzen.

At idle, an intel cpu will downclock all cores and undervolt all cores accordingly. But all cores remain active even if in a minimal state. Windows will assign background tasks during idle, and the tasks will get split up amongst the cores, so no 1 core sees high usage. This keeps all the cores in a low use state, which translates as a low temp state. Most monitoring software will read the highest core temp, and output that temp as a single number. With Intels, that's every 256ms.

Ryzen are different. At idle, all the cores except 1 get parked. Asleep. Not active. That leaves a single core to take the entire workload of the background tasks. Higher concentrated load equals higher usage equals higher idle temp. On One core. So you get idle temps of 40-50ish °C normally. Ryzens don't output temp readings every 256ms, it's an average temp every 3 or so seconds, not an actual temp.

Because of fluctuations in load, in those 3 seconds, temps might bounce like a sinewave. Depending on the exact time of reading, the reported temp can be different to the cores actual temp. So if it was 30-30-70-30-50-40, and temp was read at the first 30, it get read 3 seconds later on the third 30. If the temp gets read on the second 30, three seconds later it hits on the 50, and you assume a 20°C spike. It didn't, it actually had a core spike of 40°C, but that spike wasn't registered. Ryzen Master would have averaged that out to closer to 45°C for the core.

It's not so much as 'normal behavior' for a Ryzen, it's also in how Ryzens work and the how the reporting software works and the reporting times vrs actual core temps.

Last edited:

Freeze Aim

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
What many don't get is that they own a Ryzen, not an intel. And they are stuck thinking that it's a cpu, therefore should work like an intel. It doesn't. It's not an intel cpu it's a Ryzen.

At idle, an intel cpu will downclock all cores and undervolt all cores accordingly. But all cores remain active even if in a minimal state. Windows will assign background tasks during idle, and the tasks will get split up amongst the cores, so no 1 core sees high usage. This keeps all the cores in a low use state, which translates as a low temp state. Most monitoring software will read the highest core temp, and output that temp as a single number. With Intels, that's every 256ms.

Ryzen are different. At idle, all the cores except 1 get parked. Asleep. Not active. That leaves a single core to take the entire workload of the background tasks. Higher concentrated load equals higher usage equals higher idle temp. On One core. So you get idle temps of 40-50ish °C normally. Ryzens don't output temp readings every 256ms, it's an average temp every 3 or so seconds, not an actual temp.

Because of fluctuations in load, in those 3 seconds, temps might bounce like a sinewave. Depending on the exact time of reading, the reported temp can be different to the cores actual temp. So if it was 30-30-70-30-50-40, and temp was read at the first 30, it get read 3 seconds later on the third 30. If the temp gets read on the second 30, three seconds later it hits on the 50, and you assume a 20°C spike. It didn't, it actually had a core spike of 40°C, but that spike wasn't registered. Ryzen Master would have averaged that out to closer to 45°C for the core.

It's not so much as 'normal behavior' for a Ryzen, it's also in how Ryzens work and the how the reporting software works and the reporting times vrs actual core temps.
But the problem is that because of such temperatures; my AIO fans are spinning at crazy rates. Even when idle, They are going @~1630RPM. During load, up to 2500 RPM. Is there a solution to this?

Freeze Aim

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
Update: Still the same problem. During cinebench tests, my temps reach up to 82 c which is not acceptable as I have an aio cooler. During gaming, it is between 65-80c. Sometimes it jumps to 80c and quickly goes down to about 70c. I have also compared my temps with others with a worse cooler (cm 120mm aio); in cinebench, they reach a max of 74c whilst mine reaches up to 82c.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You have 3 pin fans on that h100i pro? Max speed is @ 2500rpm. With voltage regulation, expect nothing below @ 40%, although more normally @ 60% (that's 7v). So the lowest rpm you'd be looking at would be closer to 1500rpm at <5% loads.

Check your settings, fan curve limits in software, bios efc.

And just because you have an AIO does not guarantee automatically that you'll have magic temps on cpu. That AIO is really pretty equivalent to a Noctua NH-D15S, only louder.

But if you have pbo enabled, some sort of stupid software OC like MSI Dragon Center settings etc, then expect temps to not be where you feel they should be. Assuming the pump is actually mounted correctly, the paste was applied correctly, and there's sufficient airflow capacity, you are left with hardware settings either in other software or bios.

Last edited:
Update: Still the same problem. During cinebench tests, my temps reach up to 82 c which is not acceptable as I have an aio cooler. During gaming, it is between 65-80c. Sometimes it jumps to 80c and quickly goes down to about 70c. I have also compared my temps with others with a worse cooler (cm 120mm aio); in cinebench, they reach a max of 74c whilst mine reaches up to 82c.

The 3600, etc. do run a tad warm....; but if yours is ~8C warmer than most, perhaps your core voltage is a tad higher than needed... But, even so, 80-82C, although warm, is not really 'must fix now problematic'.

Using hwinfo, while runing CR 20 for at least 30 mins, my Ryzen 5 3600 gets to a MAX of 73°C with my current aftermarket cooler (which is a really budget one).
This is with PB ON (PBO is Disable in BIOS) and a room temp of about 20°C no AA.
Im just gessing here, but with an 240mm AIO Im guessing theres another issue going on (bad mounted heatsink, pump not working, etc.), or you are using the wrong program or reading the wrong value, or you have a really bad case ventilation, or the radiator fans are blocked, or something else, or a combination of all of those.

Freeze Aim

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
Using hwinfo, while runing CR 20 for at least 30 mins, my Ryzen 5 3600 gets to a MAX of 73°C with my current aftermarket cooler (which is a really budget one).
This is with PB ON (PBO is Disable in BIOS) and a room temp of about 20°C no AA.
Im just gessing here, but with an 240mm AIO Im guessing theres another issue going on (bad mounted heatsink, pump not working, etc.), or you are using the wrong program or reading the wrong value, or you have a really bad case ventilation, or the radiator fans are blocked, or something else, or a combination of all of those.

I don't believe my pump is faulty. I've used it before on a another processor (a I5 3570k), and whatever stress test I put on it, it did not go over 70C if I remember correctly.

It cannot be bad mounted either. I've reseated it 3 times now and still the same. My thermal pase isn't bad either as it is from kryonaut, and I have not put an excessive amount (or so I believe, just put like a pea sized paste on it).

Lastly, there is not possibility that I am using the wrong program. I did use a wrong one before, but I changed to AMD's Ryzen Master. The case I am using though is a Phanteks p400, so I'm not sure if it is really that bad.

The 3600, etc. do run a tad warm....; but if yours is ~8C warmer than most, perhaps your core voltage is a tad higher than needed... But, even so, 80-82C, although warm, is not really 'must fix now problematic'.

Possible, but I think not. I also read my core voltages using Ryzen Master, and the highest voltages that I saw during testing was approx 1.413V or so. Is that higher than the majority, however?

You have 3 pin fans on that h100i pro? Max speed is @ 2500rpm. With voltage regulation, expect nothing below @ 40%, although more normally @ 60% (that's 7v). So the lowest rpm you'd be looking at would be closer to 1500rpm at <5% loads.

Check your settings, fan curve limits in software, bios efc.

And just because you have an AIO does not guarantee automatically that you'll have magic temps on cpu. That AIO is really pretty equivalent to a Noctua NH-D15S, only louder.

But if you have pbo enabled, some sort of stupid software OC like MSI Dragon Center settings etc, then expect temps to not be where you feel they should be. Assuming the pump is actually mounted correctly, the paste was applied correctly, and there's sufficient airflow capacity, you are left with hardware settings either in other software or bios.

Well, of course I have set some limits as I do not want my computer to run like a jet (only the rad fans though). I have not checked BIOS settings, so will do that.

Of course not magical temps like under 60c during full stress test. But in no way will I accept nearly 90c from an AIO.

It could be PBO, I'm not sure though. An interesting thing though: I watched a gamers nexus video and flipped my radiator so the pumps are on the bottom. What happened was that my temps were surprisingly good! This was only after start up. I ran prime95 and did not go above approx. 78c. I also tested in Cinebench r20 and the results were okay-ish (about 3350 points with a temperature of 75c max). Only after hours of usage did the temps rise significantly. After hours of usage, my temps in prime95 could reach 92c and in cinebench about 84c. Now, do you think this is normal for an AIO that's supposed to be rather good?

So the radiator was monuted in the wrong way, that could also explain the bad temps.

Also about the Phantek P400, thats the one with the solid front panel right?, that one does not have a great airflow, which could also explain the high temps.

Those new temps you got now are not bad, and seems to be much better than before. Too bad you never said how much longer did you run prime95 when you got those 78°C reading.

Freeze Aim

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
So the radiator was monuted in the wrong way, that could also explain the bad temps.

Also about the Phantek P400, thats the one with the solid front panel right?, that one does not have a great airflow, which could also explain the high temps.

Those new temps you got now are not bad, and seems to be much better than before. Too bad you never said how much longer did you run prime95 when you got those 78°C reading.

I did run prime95 for maybe 5-10 minutes both of the times. They would still jump instantly to their respective temperatures.

I did run prime95 for maybe 5-10 minutes both of the times. They would still jump instantly to their respective temperatures.

AIO need more time to stabilize temps, even 10 mins seems a bit low for me to be abel to draw any conclusion.

I would rather test for at least 20 mins. If temps reach ~78°C and then stays there for another extra 10 or more mins, then you made a big improvement, but if the temps keep going higher, and higher and higher without any celling then theres something else fishy somewhere.

Well thats my point of view, maybe someone else want to add something later.

Freeze Aim

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
AIO need more time to stabilize temps, even 10 mins seems a bit low for me to be abel to draw any conclusion.

I would rather test for at least 20 mins. If temps reach ~78°C and then stays there for another extra 10 or more mins, then you made a big improvement, but if the temps keep going higher, and higher and higher without any celling then theres something else fishy somewhere.

Well thats my point of view, maybe someone else want to add something later.

So, I tested again with Prime95 and it reached 95c inbefore i stopped it. I tested after using my pc all day, so that could have some effect, however not sure. In cinebench r20 it reaches 85c which is also abit much, but when I tested GTA 5 benchmarking the temps were 62-65c with slight jumps up to 71c, and then quickly going down to 62-65c.

So, I tested again with Prime95 and it reached 95c inbefore i stopped it. I tested after using my pc all day, so that could have some effect, however not sure. In cinebench r20 it reaches 85c which is also abit much, but when I tested GTA 5 benchmarking the temps were 62-65c with slight jumps up to 71c, and then quickly going down to 62-65c.

Perhaps pump and/or radiator fans are set to low, limited by software/BIOS and not able to go faster when need it?

Freeze Aim

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
Perhaps pump and/or radiator fans are set to low, limited by software/BIOS and not able to go faster when need it?

Yes, that is true. I've set my fans to be quiet (but can go up when needed I believe), and pump set at balanced with constant running of 2070-2100RPM.

Edit: Set it to balanced at 2500RPM and temps went down to 93.8-94c in prime95. It seems to stabilize there.

Last edited: