Question Ryzen 5 3600 high idle temps.

Nov 13, 2019
So I just recently upgraded my cpu and mobo to the ryzen 5 3600 and the MSI b450 tomahawk max.

I'm using the stock cooler that came with the cpu. I've noticed that my idle temps range from 50°C to 70°c. Under load it reach around 88°C. I can hear the fan ramping up every few seconds.

I'm quite concerned as these temps seem quite high.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nope. Perfectly normal. You have AMD not Intel.

Intel works by lowering voltages and lowering clock speeds significantly across all cores, but keeps all the cores active. AMD is different. It shuts down parts of, or entire cores until only one remains, and that single core is doing all the work, windows and background tasks etc. So that single core is under a slight load. The cpu is in idle state, 1 core is still very active. You are seeing the temp of that core at work. You won't see the standard Intel 32°C numbers until you enter really deep sleep modes, like C4 or higher, when everything is shutting down, including all the background tasks.

When the pc leaves idle state, it'll be bacause there's user input, a load, and it'll be all/most/some cores back active again, and you'll get normal load temps.

Check your motherboard's bios' fan profile, it may be on silent so there's less cooling at lower CPU load.

If you're not overclocking then idle temps shouldn't exceed 50'-60' even with stock. make sure the cooler is properly seated and reapply thermal paste if needed.

The CPU can handle 95'C steady so it's still within normal operating temps.

A utility like Coretemp can monitor your PC and determine if it's really idle.

So I just recently upgraded my cpu and mobo to the ryzen 5 3600 and the MSI b450 tomahawk max.

I'm using the stock cooler that came with the cpu. I've noticed that my idle temps range from 50°C to 70°c. Under load it reach around 88°C. I can hear the fan ramping up every few seconds.

I'm quite concerned as these temps seem quite high.