Question Ryzen 5 3600 idle temp, should I reapply thermal paste?

mattcitko1999

Honorable
Jul 20, 2018
So my build is about 5 years old and I'm starting to get back into checking what possible upgrades might be, but for right now I'm just getting 32gb of ram to keep up since dual monitors and mw3 uses about 13gb. But it also got me thinking to check whether the current setup is running as it should. When checking ryzen master idle temp with about 5% usage is 36° C with the ambient temp being about 21°C. While playing MW3 on med/high settings when it was 90% usage it was just under 60° then it dropped to 45% usage and was about 52°. Its running on a corsair 360mm aio and on thermal grizzly kryonaut paste, the paste is abouy 4 years old right now, are there temps within norm to leave things as is, should I reapply the paste or would it not be worth the hasstle? Seems like they are still close to when new. Also its not over clocked running on stock settings.

Lutfij

Titan
the paste is abouy 4 years old right now
A repaste shouldn't be much of a hassle though yes, it's possible that the paste is now crusty. Would also be a good opportunity to inspect the CPU and cooling plate's contact/thermal paste spread.

corsair 360mm aio
Corsair have a number of 360mm AIO's in their portfolio, past and present, which one do you have? How is it mounted in your case?

So my build is about 5 years old
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: CountMike
So my build is about 5 years old and I'm starting to get back into checking what possible upgrades might be, but for right now I'm just getting 32gb of ram to keep up since dual monitors and mw3 uses about 13gb. But it also got me thinking to check whether the current setup is running as it should. When checking ryzen master idle temp with about 5% usage is 36° C with the ambient temp being about 21°C. While playing MW3 on med/high settings when it was 90% usage it was just under 60° then it dropped to 45% usage and was about 52°. Its running on a corsair 360mm aio and on thermal grizzly kryonaut paste, the paste is abouy 4 years old right now, are there temps within norm to leave things as is, should I reapply the paste or would it not be worth the hasstle? Seems like they are still close to when new. Also its not over clocked running on stock settings.
Although temps with that combo should be somewhat lower they are still within reason. Don't know what exact AIO you have but make sure the pump runs at full speed, specially at full load.