[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 stuck at boost and temps at 80c

emberrr_

Commendable
Oct 8, 2018
Hello, i built my PC today and i have a ryzen 5 3600. My temps have been between 70-80c because the clock speed it stuck at 4.1GHz. I've tried changing the minimum power state to 5% and enabling/disabling PBO in the bios yet nothing changes. Anybody know a fix to this?

Colif

Win 11 Master
what motherboard do you have?

if it only changes when you boot into windows it might be a program that comes with motherboard that is changing the speed.
So did you install anything like that?

does it happen in safe mode?
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode
Did you install Ryzen master??

emberrr_

Commendable
Oct 8, 2018
what motherboard do you have?

if it only changes when you boot into windows it might be a program that comes with motherboard that is changing the speed.
So did you install anything like that?

does it happen in safe mode?
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode
Did you install Ryzen master??
i am currently in safe mode and no it does not happen in safe mode, I had ryzen master installed but i deleted it before upgrading my cpu. my motherboard is MSI tomahawk max 2

Colif

Win 11 Master
drivers are still there. that is likely reason. If it was set before, its likely it left enough behind to do it still. Not all uninstallers are perfect

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

can you take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

I see what it might be, there are only so many choices.
Do you run MSI Afterburner as some of its drivers are the same. Not saying it is cause but it help to know when i look at driver listing.

emberrr_

Commendable
Oct 8, 2018
drivers are still there. that is likely reason. If it was set before, its likely it left enough behind to do it still. Not all uninstallers are perfect

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

can you take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

I see what it might be, there are only so many choices.
Do you run MSI Afterburner as some of its drivers are the same. Not saying it is cause but it help to know when i look at driver listing.

I don't see any MSI drivers here

Colif

Win 11 Master
it doesn't happen in safe mode
it has to be a driver of some sort,
I thought MSio64.sys was a MSI driver but it appears to be rgb for ram.
Ndivert.sys is part of Nordvpn
Windows doesn't just run drivers if the programs are gone. Normally.

I had AI Suite set up to auto overclock on my last PC but to stop it, I reset BIOS and deleted the program. That was all it took.

It has to be one of the AMD drivers but its unusual. You can't change CPU values without drivers but we can check startup programs, just in case.

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

that just a way to test its not a driver to blame, but i doubt it.
Samsung Magician used to be able to run its own power schemes which did run CPU at max speed all the time. But I don't think it does that anymore.

emberrr_

Commendable
Oct 8, 2018
it doesn't happen in safe mode
it has to be a driver of some sort,
I thought MSio64.sys was a MSI driver but it appears to be rgb for ram.
Ndivert.sys is part of Nordvpn
Windows doesn't just run drivers if the programs are gone. Normally.

I had AI Suite set up to auto overclock on my last PC but to stop it, I reset BIOS and deleted the program. That was all it took.

It has to be one of the AMD drivers but its unusual. You can't change CPU values without drivers but we can check startup programs, just in case.

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

that just a way to test its not a driver to blame, but i doubt it.
Samsung Magician used to be able to run its own power schemes which did run CPU at max speed all the time. But I don't think it does that anymore.
weird I don't have rgb ram. and even with a clean boot its stuck at boost. should I transfer my games and reinstall windows or something?

Colif

Win 11 Master
try a reset before you reinstall everything , it forces windows to get all new drivers. removes all your programs but it only touches C drive so if you have multiple drives, it ignores everything else.
go to settings/update & security/recovery
reset this pc
choose keep files/settings (Files = library folders. Library folders = Documents, pictures, movies, music (the default folders that come with windows). Settings = logins and desktop)

Are games steam? if currently on another drive you can re use them again without reinstalling. you just point the steam client at location of games and it reuses them.
might be able to do similar with other launchers

emberrr_

Commendable
Oct 8, 2018
try a reset before you reinstall everything , it forces windows to get all new drivers. removes all your programs but it only touches C drive so if you have multiple drives, it ignores everything else.
go to settings/update & security/recovery
reset this pc
choose keep files/settings (Files = library folders. Library folders = Documents, pictures, movies, music (the default folders that come with windows). Settings = logins and desktop)

Are games steam? if currently on another drive you can re use them again without reinstalling. you just point the steam client at location of games and it reuses them.
might be able to do similar with other launchers
i do have games installed on my C drive because its an ssd. i will move the client and try that. its quite late in my timezone so I will try it tomorrow. i really hope it works.

P3C

Aug 23, 2021
Try backing up all your programs, and important files from your "User" folder (if you want to keep most of your program data, make sure to back up %appdata% folder). Then try reinstalling windows using windows setup using Media Creation Tool if you have a spare usb drive.

You can also reinstall windows without having to format the C: drive, so that you dont have to back up anything, and you just can copy your programs and games to its respective folders. (note that if u install windows without formatting, all files on ur c: drive will be stored on a folder called "windows.old") Just make sure that u have atleast 32 gb free to even install windows, otherwise you should be fine.

i am currently in safe mode and no it does not happen in safe mode, I had ryzen master installed but i deleted it before upgrading my cpu. my motherboard is MSI tomahawk max 2

So, basically, a program or driver is causing this problem. Did this happen when u bought the pc, or did it happen like a couple days or weeks later?

emberrr_

Commendable
Oct 8, 2018
Try backing up all your programs, and important files from your "User" folder (if you want to keep most of your program data, make sure to back up %appdata% folder). Then try reinstalling windows using windows setup using Media Creation Tool if you have a spare usb drive.

You can also reinstall windows without having to format the C: drive, so that you dont have to back up anything, and you just can copy your programs and games to its respective folders. (note that if u install windows without formatting, all files on ur c: drive will be stored on a folder called "windows.old") Just make sure that u have atleast 32 gb free to even install windows, otherwise you should be fine.

So, basically, a program or driver is causing this problem. Did this happen when u bought the pc, or did it happen like a couple days or weeks later?
i had my pc for 5 years and i decided to upgrade everything last week. i had the same issue with my old cpu but because it only boosted to 3.4GHz i didnt have temp problems. maybe its a random driver that was left from back then.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it takes me longer than 1 week to decide to upgrade and actually do it, but mostly as I spend about a month finding a case I like. The CPU and PSU were 1st two things on my list last year, case took longer.

Sounds like it was maybe one of the AMD drivers then.

emberrr_

Commendable
Oct 8, 2018
it takes me longer than 1 week to decide to upgrade and actually do it, but mostly as I spend about a month finding a case I like. The CPU and PSU were 1st two things on my list last year, case took longer.

Hopefully, i backed my important stuff up and currently reinstalling windows

emberrr_

Commendable
Oct 8, 2018

i reinstalled windows and nothing changed, i cleared cmos and nothing changed. my current ambient temp is 18c so my idle temps dropped a bit. i checked HWiNFO but idk what any of these mean other than temp.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Something odd going on here, so its cool in bios and probably in safe mode, but not in normal... even after a reset. I wonder if a clean would be any different.

what CPU fan/heatsink are you using?

CPU CCD1 = lowest temp on sensors on the core cluster. it ignores the constantly rising and falling temps you would see on the CPU package sensor on the motherboard tab.
Temp difference between CPU ccd1 and CPU score under motherboard header is normally about 8c, the motherboard being higher. Highest I see at idle is 50 on the package

note: it is winter here and from looking at Jan posts, my average temps rise about 5 or so c in summer
47 to 54 all day unless its a cooler day, then minimum drops to 44... it really depends on how loud I want fans to be as to how low I go, but below 35 is unlikely. And that is just minimum of the range.
it also possible that in Jan I was still using the package temp but I soon got sick of watching it going up and down, and it just shows max temp, not temp of all cores. CPU ccd1 is more representative of how entire CPU is

lowest I see CPU was 24c but it was early morning start up and freezing outside.

Power reporting deviation - ignore this and all the red letters. The value is meaningless unless PC is under 100% load.

not sure what ambient is here, should be about 21c

WagzgNF.jpg

emberrr_

Commendable
Oct 8, 2018
Something odd going on here, so its cool in bios and probably in safe mode, but not in normal... even after a reset. I wonder if a clean would be any different.

what CPU fan/heatsink are you using?

CPU CCD1 = lowest temp on sensors on the core cluster. it ignores the constantly rising and falling temps you would see on the CPU package sensor on the motherboard tab.
Temp difference between CPU ccd1 and CPU score under motherboard header is normally about 8c, the motherboard being higher. Highest I see at idle is 50 on the package

note: it is winter here and from looking at Jan posts, my average temps rise about 5 or so c in summer

it also possible that in Jan I was still using the package temp but I soon got sick of watching it going up and down, and it just shows max temp, not temp of all cores. CPU ccd1 is more representative of how entire CPU is

lowest I see CPU was 24c but it was early morning start up and freezing outside.

Power reporting deviation - ignore this and all the red letters. The value is meaningless unless PC is under 100% load.

not sure what ambient is here, should be about 21c

WagzgNF.jpg
I'm using the stock cooler. by a clean do you mean a complete reset? i can unplug my other hard drives and completely reset the pc if that's what you mean. i did realize after the reset i made i kept my graphics and chipset drivers.