[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 Undervolt and OC?

Bored_Gamer

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2013
So, I found some video online that teaches how to lower cpu temps by undervolting. I got lower temps and then I tried to put an all core oc of 4.1ghz with 0.0500v undervolt. Is this a good idea in the long run or should I just revert back to default settings? Don't really feel any difference gaming wise but my temps did get lower by about 10C+

Solution
no. if you have a decent cooler, the 3600 (non X) can run on auto boost all cores at 4.2GHz all day long. you are currently gimping it
i have a 3600 with a hyper 212 X. it runs cinerbench 20 holding 4.2GHz all core boost and peaks at 72C which can be seen as low for a CPU under stress test. in regular use in games it runs at 57-61C with a spike to 65C every once in a while.

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
no. if you have a decent cooler, the 3600 (non X) can run on auto boost all cores at 4.2GHz all day long. you are currently gimping it
i have a 3600 with a hyper 212 X. it runs cinerbench 20 holding 4.2GHz all core boost and peaks at 72C which can be seen as low for a CPU under stress test. in regular use in games it runs at 57-61C with a spike to 65C every once in a while.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution

Bored_Gamer

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2013
Thanks for the input, I have a bad case so temps would probably be higher than 72C. using a Deepcool Gammaxx 400 with a replacement fan at the moment. I'll try to set everything to default. Are you using PBO or does the 3600 automatically boost to 4.2 without messing with ryzen master?

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
Thanks for the input, I have a bad case so temps would probably be higher than 72C. using a Deepcool Gammaxx 400 with a replacement fan at the moment. I'll try to set everything to default. Are you using PBO or does the 3600 automatically boost to 4.2 without messing with ryzen master?
it does it by default. from what i've read in reviews getting it anywhere above 4.2 is nearly impossible, so since it hits that all core boost on its own i didn't bother trying to get it any higher. if the mobo can provide the power and the cooler can keep it under 80C it will boost to its max limit automatically when needed. ryzen master and other oc tools are for those who want to push the CPU as far as they possibly can beyond the boost limit. personally, i'd rather have my warranty intact than tinker with it to get 2-3 more fps in games or shave off 3-4 seconds in my work.
one solution to your case having bad airflow, is to just remove the side panel. my case is an ancient no name from 2006 that is not big enough to fit the hyper 212 in it, so i have the side open and that makes everything run cooler

Aug 19, 2020
So, I found some video online that teaches how to lower cpu temps by undervolting. I got lower temps and then I tried to put an all core oc of 4.1ghz with 0.0500v undervolt. Is this a good idea in the long run or should I just revert back to default settings? Don't really feel any difference gaming wise but my temps did get lower by about 10C+
Hi, I recently tried to undervolting my Ryzen 5 3600, but seems like it didn't lower the temp that much, and also I got lower performance when I test it with Cinebench. I've tried to undervolt it by -0.0500v, -0.0700v, even I tried -0.1000v, yes those voltage made my CPU cooler, but in the same time, it made my performance even lower than before. Do you have any suggestions?

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
What is the max temperature it reaches in Cinebench at default settings and what is it with the undervolt?
As i said above, if the CPU does not reach 80C there is no problem and it will work fine. For safety reasons, most CPUs automatically lower their speed when they reach that temperature but for them to actually take damage from the heat it needs to go well above 100C.