Question Ryzen 5 3600 vs i5 9600kf

Status
Not open for further replies.

tibsy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2019
hi i was looking to upgrade my computer and was wondering which CPU i should buy. currently you can buy a ryzen 5 3600 non x for £170, the i5 9600kf for £175 and the 9600k for £195 in UK.
im not sure but i think the intel cpus dont come with the cooler included as well which needs to be taken into consideration.
any advice would be appreciated

thanks

While not a PERFECT comparison, an otherwise equal comparison anyhow. So you can decide for yourself. Personally, I believe the Ryzen 5 3600 to be the better purchase.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-9600KF-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600/3443vs3481

CPU cooler does NOT come with any of the Intel K or KF processors. So yes, that is an additional purchase and you don't want to purchase some sub-20 cooler either. They Deepcool Gammaxx 400 would be the MINIMUM recommendation on an aftermarket cooler.

Better to go with the AMD product this generation IMO, especially if you plan to do much or any heavy multitasking such as recording, streaming, browsing, while gaming.

99StefanRO

Honorable
Oct 25, 2016
While the i5 will give more FPS in gaming, the 3600 will give you more headroom as the CPU usage will be lower and you have more threads available.

This means that while the 3600 pushes you to 100 FPS, the i5 will be at 105-110, but it will rise and shine above the i5 in productivity tasks, streaming, etc. The fps difference is only up to 1080p, from 1440p it is equal in frames.

My opinion, as a former intel user, is that Ryzen 5s are the way to go, not the i5. (Switched from i5 7600 to Ryzen 2600 because the i5 was going up to 100% usage in many games and every background app had to suffer. It probably won't happem with newer gens, as they've got more cores, but the threads that Ryzen has make me feel safer.)

While the i5 will give more FPS in gaming

Where are you getting this blanket statement, generally wrong, information from?

It completely depends on WHAT you are playing. Yes, there are probably a FEW games that will perform better with the 9600k/kf but any game that is halfway decently optimized for multithreaded performance will not do better with those CPUs than it will with the 3600. And, if you are doing any moderately heavy multitasking like recording, streaming, encoding, browsing or running other demanding applications or processes while gaming, again, the additional multithreaded capability of the Ryzen 3600 is going to win out. You can't just say "Intel is better for gaming" anymore. It's not going to be an accurate assessment. Even core to core, in some cases, Intel loses. They do not have the single core and IPC advantage that they once held. Most higher clocked Ryzen CPUs either come very close to tieing Intel or beat them outright. The only real advantage Intel has now for gaming is that some games are better optimized for the strengths of the Intel CPU architecture, but not all or even most, are. Not anymore.

Besides which, with the performance overall, in general, being fairly close, having the advantage in multithreaded titles is a boon as is the fact that it is a less expensive platform purchse in general.

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
I always say if you want an all round cpu amd's the way to go.Gaming usually tend higher clocks cpu.I may be wrong but a I9 9900k are an example.When limited taken off and 5ghz-52ghz it's a baws in all rights.But the max lowest i would go are a 9700k and for a budget cpu i would go for a 9400f(i love this little cpu cause of the price)

Status
Not open for further replies.