[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600x can't run stock settings?

saitamas

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2015
I recently upgraded my PC and started to experience BSOD's after upgrading. I found out that I needed to lower the CPU ratio and VCORE by a little bit in the bios to prevent crashes. Does anyone know why I cannot run it at its stock speed? My idle CPU temps are ~33 C and in games it is ~75 C. I have updated all my drivers/bios. My PC specs are:
CPU: R5 3600x
GPU: rx 5700 xt
Mobo: b450 tomahawk max
RAM: g.skill ripjaws (2x8) 3600

Solution
Sorry idk if you saw the last thing but I’m running a 3600x and not a 3600. My PC is still crashing just trying to install windows fresh. Is it possible it’s a PSU problem? I have an Xfx ts 550w bronze. It worked perfectly on my old pc. It is a little on the lower end of the wattage scale but I researched and found it is sufficient for a computer with my specs.
Are the CPU temperatures unchanged? I'd be concerned the cooler isn't seated properly and letting it overheat.

I'd have to think 550W would be enough too even with a 5700XT since it's not in a high-useage game. But if it's old, weak or failing then it could easily the cause especially during games. Also double-check memory DIMM's to make sure they're solidly inserted...
I recently upgraded my PC and started to experience BSOD's after upgrading. I found out that I needed to lower the CPU ratio and VCORE by a little bit in the bios to prevent crashes. Does anyone know why I cannot run it at its stock speed? My idle CPU temps are ~33 C and in games it is ~75 C. I have updated all my drivers/bios. My PC specs are:
CPU: R5 3600x
GPU: rx 5700 xt
Mobo: b450 tomahawk max
RAM: g.skill ripjaws (2x8) 3600

What settings are you using when it crashes? Both CPU frequency and VCore on Auto are correct 'stock settings'.

Temps are typical of a 3600 on stock cooler. If the fans pulse at idle you can set custom fan curve to fix it.

saitamas

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2015
What settings are you using when it crashes? Both CPU frequency and VCore on Auto are correct 'stock settings'.

Temps are typical of a 3600 on stock cooler. If the fans pulse at idle you can set custom fan curve to fix it.
Yea, they are on auto when it crashes. I lower the ratio to 36 and vcore to 1.35 V which seems to prevent it from crashing.

Yea, they are on auto when it crashes. I lower the ratio to 36 and vcore to 1.35 V which seems to prevent it from crashing.

It should not crash when running stock. Running with 1.35V fixed is likely to degrade your processor. The CPU needs to be able to lower it to 1.28 V, even as low as 1.2, when operating at heavy loads for 3.6Ghz.

I see your memory is '3600'...what clock speed is it operating at? If 3600 it might be too high and unstable. It may be rated for 3600 but that's overclocking the processor's memory controller so if not done carefully is the more likely source of instability.

Do a CMOS reset and see if it's stable with everything at default settings.

Last edited:

saitamas

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2015
It should not crash when running stock. Running with 1.35V fixed is likely to degrade your processor. The CPU needs to be able to lower it to 1.28 V, even as low as 1.2, when operating at heavy loads for 3.6Ghz.

I see your memory is '3600'...what clock speed is it operating at? If 3600 it might be too high and unstable. It may be rated for 3600 but that's overclocking the processor's memory controller so if not done carefully is the more likely source of instability.

Do a CMOS reset and see if it's stable with everything at default settings.
I enabled XMP and set it to 3600 Mhz. Should I just set it to auto? Or should i just disable XMP entirely?

I enabled XMP and set it to 3600 Mhz. Should I just set it to auto? Or should i just disable XMP entirely?
For now, yes. Just disable XMP, leave CPU voltage and frequency in AUTO and see how it behaves.

You may be able to get your memory stable 3600 but it will require some tweaking. If it's stable with memory at default settings, enable XMP but manually set the frequency multiplier to 3200 and try again. 3200 is the rated memory speed for the CPU. 3200 may be easier to get that way and really offers most of the benefit of 3600.

saitamas

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2015
For now, yes. Just disable XMP, leave CPU voltage and frequency in AUTO and see how it behaves.

You may be able to get your memory stable 3600 but it will require some tweaking. If it's stable with memory at default settings, enable XMP but manually set the frequency multiplier to 3200 and try again. 3200 is the rated memory speed for the CPU. 3200 may be easier to get that way and really offers most of the benefit of 3600.
Something weird is going on. I put everything back to auto and disabled xmp, but it won’t even let me into windows now. It just says “your PC needs to be repaired”. The only way I can get in is by undervolting it. I’ll reset the CMOS like you said and try again.

.... The only way I can get in is by undervolting it. Should I just reset the CMOS lkke you said and try it alll again
YES but....I fear the overclocking of your memory was indeed unstable and left Windows corrupted. That's a common outcome. You can try restarting again, but you may need to do a Windows repair. If you DO get back into windows open a Command prompt with admin rights and type the command 'SFC /scannow' (no quotes). That will do a System File Check scan and fix corrupt system files if it can.

EDIT: I JUST noticed you did an upgrade! what did you upgrade from? did you re-install Windows after? I also want to reiterate: for operating a 3600 processor at 3.6Ghz 1.35V is NOT undervolting! It is in fact over-volting as it would operate as low as 1.2V under heavy loads at that clock speed!

Last edited:
Something weird is going on. I put everything back to auto and disabled xmp, but it won’t even let me into windows now. It just says “your PC needs to be repaired”. The only way I can get in is by undervolting it. I’ll reset the CMOS like you said and try again.
I JUST noticed you did an upgrade! what did you upgrade from? did you re-install Windows after?

I also want to reiterate: for operating a 3600 processor at 3.6Ghz 1.35V is NOT undervolting! It is in fact over-volting as it would operate as low as 1.2V under heavy loads at that clock speed!

saitamas

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2015
Something weird is going on. I put everything back to auto and disabled xmp, but it won’t even let me into windows now. It just says “your PC needs to be repaired”. The only way I can get in is by undervolting it. Should I just reset the CMOS lkke you said and try it alll again
YES but....I fear the overclocking of your memory was indeed unstable and left Windows corrupted. That's a common outcome. You can try restarting again, but you may need to do a Windows repair. If you DO get back into windows open a Command prompt with admin rights and type the command 'SFC /scannow' (no quotes). That will do a System File Check scan and fix corrupt system files if it can.

EDIT: I JUST noticed you did an upgrade! what did you upgrade from? did you re-install Windows after? I also want to reiterate: for operating a 3600 processor at 3.6Ghz 1.35V is NOT undervolting! It is in fact over-volting as it would operate as low as 1.2V under heavy loads at that clock speed!
if windows is messed up, would I just needa reinstall windows from a usb?

saitamas

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2015
I JUST noticed you did an upgrade! what did you upgrade from? did you re-install Windows after?

I also want to reiterate: for operating a 3600 processor at 3.6Ghz 1.35V is NOT undervolting! It is in fact over-volting as it would operate as low as 1.2V under heavy loads at that clock speed!
I upgraded the cpu/mobo/ram/gpu. I switched from intel to amd and I did do a fresh install of windows. I’m also running a 3600X not 3600.

saitamas

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2015
Especially if it's an easy option for you, yes. Try to back up any files you can and do it.

Reset CMOS first, of course.
Sorry idk if you saw the last thing but I’m running a 3600x and not a 3600. My PC is still crashing just trying to install windows fresh. Is it possible it’s a PSU problem? I have an Xfx ts 550w bronze. It worked perfectly on my old pc. It is a little on the lower end of the wattage scale but I researched and found it is sufficient for a computer with my specs.

Are the CPU temperatures unchanged? I'd be concerned the cooler isn't seated properly and letting it overheat.

I'd have to think 550W would be enough too even with a 5700XT since it's not in a high-useage game. But if it's old, weak or failing then it could easily the cause especially during games. Also double-check memory DIMM's to make sure they're solidly inserted and in the correct DIMM slots (if it's a 4 slot board).

Solution

saitamas

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2015

I'd have to think 550W would be enough too even with a 5700XT since it's not in a high-useage game. But if it's old, weak or failing then it could easily the cause especially during games. Also double-check memory DIMM's to make sure they're solidly inserted and in the correct DIMM slots (if it's a 4 slot board).
Hmmm okay I’m gonna try to pickup some thermal paste and redo it on my cpu/cooler as the cheaper option. If that doesn’t work, I guess I have to get a new PSU.

I’ve also ran memorytest86 and didn’t have an error so it’s probably something wrong with the CPU or PSU