[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600x high temps in new build

ithilien22

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2013
I just built my first computer today and I checked the cpu temp to find that the ryzen 5 3600x is showing temps over 70c. I've had it on all day trying to install stuff and get it working but wasn't playing games or anything. I know one thing to try would be to reinstall the cooler with new thermal paste but a friend also suggested I try changing some bios settings - how would I do that/what settings would impact temps the most? My motherboard is an asus b550m-a.

Solution
I just built my first computer today and I checked the cpu temp to find that the ryzen 5 3600x is showing temps over 70c. I've had it on all day trying to install stuff and get it working but wasn't playing games or anything. I know one thing to try would be to reinstall the cooler with new thermal paste but a friend also suggested I try changing some bios settings - how would I do that/what settings would impact temps the most? My motherboard is an asus b550m-a.
you can downclock a bit

But if you want better temp, better reinstall cooler and replace thermal paste with better one
If you wanna spend for cooling better buy air cooling like Hyper 212 or even water cooling like corsair

Zoel.fahmi

Upstanding
Dec 27, 2019
you can downclock a bit

But if you want better temp, better reinstall cooler and replace thermal paste with better one
If you wanna spend for cooling better buy air cooling like Hyper 212 or even water cooling like corsair

Solution
3600X is a midrange, very power efficient CPU: no need to "downclock", no need for watercooling (would be silly for 65W TDP CPU).
Just for reference: Your CPU should have about 10-12°C above room temperature when idling (only Windows running). That is, about 35°C at 24°C room temperature and about 65-70°C at full load. If your temperatures are much above that, then you should reinstall CPU cooler properly and make sure you have decent PC case airflow.
If you have build new PC, then your motherboard had "default" BIOS settings out of the box -no need to "optimize" anything there (solve high temperature issue first).

dimtodim

Reputable
try first replace stock cooler with some better and find some good case with good airflow

Knadim

Commendable
Oct 10, 2020
Most probably is case air flow. I had the same issue with NZXT H510 and it resolved by adding extra and powerfull fans like NZXT fans and keep it positive to balance pressure as possible as you can.
The fans setup are one 140 mm and one 120 mm for intake in front panel and one
140 mm and one 120 mm inches in top and rear for exhaust. And I add one on the bottom above the pcu shroud for intake.
Always check the fans CFM calculations to achieve the required air pressure. As I had before other case fans which have very low CFM and gave me very bad airflow.
You can know the problem if you open the case panel and check the temperature.
Also the location of the case is also affecting the temperature as if it is under the desk the intake air is not cold enough as it is affected by the exhaust air.
This is just thoughts of your problem try some of these and see how it will work.

I have the same CPU. Ryzen's temps do jump all over the place but there is article after article explaining that this is totally normal. When you say 70 degrees, what do you mean? 70 at idle? 70 under load/playing games? Have you downloaded the latest chipset drivers? Does your motherboard have the latest BIOS? The stock coolers these cpu's come with are 'ok,' but definitely not optimal, as others have suggested,(and what i did too,) was swap it out for an after market cooler. @BogdanH , isnt the 3600x a 95w cpu?

ithilien22

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2013
Temps are at 45c just on booting up this morning after being powered down over night. I don't think it's general case airflow because I've had the panels off for the most part while I continue to tweak things (and they're off currently). Room temps are between 22-24c.

The 70c was not on idle exactly but also not what I would have thought of as heavy load - just on basic internet browsing + downloading/installing programs/games. I haven't tested it on a game yet because I got nervous it was already too high.

I'll get some thermal paste from micro center when it opens in a few hours and see if reinstalling the wraith spire cooler helps. If not then maybe I'll try an after market cooler, but it sounds like I shouldn't be as worried about the temps if the 3600x generally runs hot?

What are your actual load temps ? Run Cinebench R20 for 1 pass and see what the temps go to.

Are you using Ryzen Master to check temps ? if not you should.

Ryzen will push clock speeds, voltage, and temps up until the internal algorithm tells it to back off to maintain stability...this includes light load situations...it's what "core performance boost" is all about.

Changes in the BIOS besides enabling XMP, optioning boot drives, and turning off PBO (if ON by default) should be avoided when first setting up a system. Making a bunch of changes to a new system can mask hardware issues and software install issues.

Down clocking should never be used in place of fixing actual cooling issues on a system...especially since just buying a slower cooler running processor in the 1st place would have made more sense.

As others have said it's likely you have an air flow issue...you said you have the side panels off but do you have a room fan pushing air into the case ? If not give that a try...if cooling improves dramatically then you have a case airflow issue...it nothing changes or it changes very little then it's likely the cpu heatsink is not attached correctly.

ithilien22

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2013
Okay, looks like it was definitely the thermal paste in my case because buying new and removing/reapplying has lowered the temps considerably. It took me a lot of messing around to get the cpu cooler seated initially so I think it might have been down to that. At least I'm learning from all my newbie mistakes!

Lots of great advice in this thread that I'll use as well moving forward, thank you all for responding!