[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600x Idle Temps - Too High?

Nov 11, 2020
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a Ryzen 5 3600x & built my first PC. Using Ryzen Master alone I see my temp fluctuates between 42°C-60°C degrees idle. It seems to rest at 45ish and then spike to 55 within a second, and then dip again, quite regularly. I've adjusted the fan curves to stop them revving like crazy as it was driving me mad. I've put the power plan on Ryzen Balanced. It peaks around 75°C using Cinebench. Do these temps & sudden increases sound normal? Ambient temps around me are 22°C roughly

My build:
Aerocool Cylon Mini Case
Ryzen 5 3600x w/ Cryorig H7 Cooler
MSI Ventus 2060RTX 6GB
EVGA 700B PSU
Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB)
ASRock B450M PRO4
2x Front Fans 120mm
1x Rear 80mm

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Indeed, ryzen 3xxx cpu have this behavior. In idle the temperatures rise suddenly with just moving the mouse, but then in heavy load they do not rise excessively. This is because AMD, light processes, tends to use the preferred core to the maximum, which locally raises the temperature.
What you have done is correct.
Some user has created an energy plan that consumes less. You can take a look at it, if it helps.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/gijvck/new_ryzen_3000_powerplan_perfomance_like_1usmus/

Cheers
Indeed, ryzen 3xxx cpu have this behavior. In idle the temperatures rise suddenly with just moving the mouse, but then in heavy load they do not rise excessively. This is because AMD, light processes, tends to use the preferred core to the maximum, which locally raises the temperature.
What you have done is correct.
Some user has created an energy plan that consumes less. You can take a look at it, if it helps.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/gijvck/new_ryzen_3000_powerplan_perfomance_like_1usmus/

Cheers

Reactions: FioGermi
Solution
As Windows kicks off several tasks/app updates/storage syncs/AV scans in the background whenever it so sees fit, your definition of 'idle' might not actually fit reality.

It's quite possible any one of the above could kick in, cause a ramp up in core voltage and clock speed to 3.9 GHz or so, instantly elevating temps, which would just as quickly fall when clock speeds and core voltage are reduced 1/4 second or 5,10 seconds later...

All normal.

Reactions: RodroX
Considering the small 80mm fan at the back of the case, and the lack of another fan at the top (Im not even sure you can mount one), I would said your temps looks pretty good to me.

From what the pictures show in the official website you may be able to add another fan at the top (or at least try if its posible if you have extra one), and you could improve the back fan by using a good 90mm one.

Then again nothing to worry about those temps you wrote about it.

Reactions: kurdtnz