Hey guys

I just recently built a new computer with the specs of

Ryzen 5 3600x
Cooler Master ML240L V2
Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200mhz
Gigabyte 1060 6gb
Corsair Tx 650 Watt PSU

The advertised speed of my cpu says that it boosts up to 4.4 ghz on all cores, however my cpu sits at a speed of 3.96 ghz under load. I did multiple tests (with PBO on) on cinebench r20 and got an average score of 3283 with its max temp at 63 degrees. I am running the lastest bios on my motherboard (version 4007) and windows version 20H2. Everything is run stock except for D.O.C.P enabled.
I am unaware what to do within the bios to as this is my first build with an overclockable chip.
Thanks

Solution
You run Cinebench's single thread test to see the advertised single core boost.
i just did and got 4.3 on one core. so it should work. I am on a 3600XT, I should get 4.6 but it depends on temps, and I hadn't thought to swap my aio fan plan before running it. I was just curious. Single core doesn't create that much heat, Multi is another story though.

yes, I know 3600XT max only meant to be 4.5 but my CPU tells me its max is 4.6 in ryzen master, so who am I to argue.

N1nja2k

Commendable
May 4, 2020
what did you use to track speeds?
Only so many applications get the speeds right
HWINFO and Ryzen Master are about only 2 I know of. Apart from bios anyway.
I used HWMonitor to track speeds. I also forgot to mention i have the lastest amd chipset drivers installed and i am running Amd High Performance for the power plan.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The advertised speed of my cpu says that it boosts up to 4.4 ghz on all cores
No it doesn't: https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-3600x
"Max boost for AMD processors is the maximum frequency achievable by a single core on the processor running a bursty single-threaded workload."

There is no advertised multi-thread boost - that one will depend on your cooling and other things.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i just did and got 4.3 on one core. so it should work. I am on a 3600XT, I should get 4.6 but it depends on temps, and I hadn't thought to swap my aio fan plan before running it. I was just curious. Single core doesn't create that much heat, Multi is another story though.

yes, I know 3600XT max only meant to be 4.5 but my CPU tells me its max is 4.6 in ryzen master, so who am I to argue.

Solution

N1nja2k

Commendable
May 4, 2020
No it doesn't: https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-3600x
"Max boost for AMD processors is the maximum frequency achievable by a single core on the processor running a bursty single-threaded workload."

There is no advertised multi-thread boost - that one will depend on your cooling and other things.
So my 3600x running on 3.96 on all cores is a regular speed for most users?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

The work of your bios version, perhaps? ¯\(ツ)

So my 3600x running on 3.96 on all cores is a regular speed for most users?
Yep.
Intel chips do something similar.

Hi Guy's
From the Op
"I am unaware what to do within the bios to as this is my first build with an overclockable chip"

When I got my 3600x I tried Pbo, the different level of scalers, raising the Ppt, Tdc, And Edc levels with LLC on level 3 in different combinations,
And could only get 2 cores to boost real briefly starting a cinnabench r20 run to 4.392 per hwinfo64.
Cbr20 runs in the 3700's m/c range.
Stock or base runs was less, so there was performance gain in doing it that way and is probably the safest way for gaining some extra performance without a true hardcore Oc.

I do have it Oc'd to 4.325ghz @1.29875v currently and have tried getting it past 4.375ghz but the voltage needed to sustain a stable Oc is way more then I want to run and is considered over the safe max limit for the longevity of the processor.
Cbr20 scores range
m/c 3915-3924
S/c 500
So as to it being a overclockable processor temper your expectations or expect the processor to have a shortened life expectancy.
With these new processors Old School Oc Day's Are Long Gone.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Status
Not open for further replies.