Question Ryzen 5 5500 and PBO

Nov 10, 2022
hi guys recently i build this pc with a ryzen 5 5500 in it and have been doing some gaming.

i enjoy playing high fps low gpu hungry titles such as csgo and valorant and everyone knows you need a nice cpu for that.
unhappy (for no reason) with my 200+ fps average i ran into a few tutorials on how to get bonus performance out of my build and ran into this program called ryzen master and this 'PBO' function.
upon Applying and testing the pre-made profile i found there called "Gaming mode" which enables PBO by default i found my processor hitting 78°C for the first time ever (it usually sits at 67°C - 69°C max on intense gaming) and its 30~ to 45~ power consumption going all the way to 105W.

i was really scared when i saw those numbers mainly the power consumption one because this processors tdp is 65W i think.

can this damage the processor?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
hi guys recently i build this pc with a ryzen 5 5500 in it and have been doing some gaming.

i enjoy playing high fps low gpu hungry titles such as csgo and valorant and everyone knows you need a nice cpu for that.
unhappy (for no reason) with my 200+ fps average i ran into a few tutorials on how to get bonus performance out of my build and ran into this program called ryzen master and this 'PBO' function.
upon Applying and testing the pre-made profile i found there called "Gaming mode" which enables PBO by default i found my processor hitting 78°C for the first time ever (it usually sits at 67°C - 69°C max on intense gaming) and its 30~ to 45~ power consumption going all the way to 105W.

i was really scared when i saw those numbers mainly the power consumption one because this processors tdp is 65W i think.

can this damage the processor?
More performance, higher voltage = more heat.
79C is not bad, you can buy a decent aftermarket cooler to lower it.

Tjmax for the processor is 90C and it's not uncommon to see one hitting it when working really hard, so it won't do any harm if only hitting 78C.

The 65W is it's TDP and not it's electrical power consumption. That's just a suggestion for selecting a heatsink and is only valid when running in full-stock mode -- which running PBO definitely is not.

PBO will make the processor work harder and run hotter, it's a good idea to use upgraded cooling when running PBO so it stays as cool as it can. A cooler running processor will keep boosting higher as it works hard. The stock cooler (Wraith Stealth) in particular is barely adequate when running full stock and not recommended for running in PBO modes.

Last edited: