[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 5600g overclocking issue. (Omen 30l)

May 21, 2022
Hey I'm totally new to this community! I'm having some problems with my cpu. When idle it will run at around 4.1GHz(45-50c) which is lower than the advertised boost clock, and when I run a stress test with prime 95 my cpu will immediately drop down to 3.6GHz and stay there. After I turn off the stress test cpu is around 80-85c and the cpu immediately goes back up to 4.1GHz. I'm just wondering what might be causing this frequency drop. And I am on an omen system so I have just about no control over cpu voltage in BIOS or anything like that. Oh and I did just install the noctua fan controller so that my fans actually spin above their lowest rpm but I don't think this would haver anything to do with it.
Edit: I have at nvidia rtx 3060, and my main question would be is betting cooling would maybe fix this issue because I have a nocua air cpu cooler on my list of things to get but this also doesn't seem to correlate 100% with the cpu temp.

Last edited:
Solution
The advertised boost clock only applies to a single core, and since the OS and other 3rd party apps you have installed run in the background, one hardly ever sees it.
Same thing happens on the Intel chips; the more cores/threads are active at a time, the lower the boost clock.

If a single active core does up to 4.4ghz...
Then 2 active is up to 4.3ghz...
3 active is up to 4.2ghz...
4 active is up to 4.1ghz... may not be exactly like that, but you should get the idea.

EDIT: You're not only activating all cores/threads with Prime 95, but likely power throttling the cpu too.
The app is a power virus; cpu most likely sat on it's 65w power limit - assuming HP didn't turn it down, as specs show that it's adjustable - thus causing it...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The advertised boost clock only applies to a single core, and since the OS and other 3rd party apps you have installed run in the background, one hardly ever sees it.
Same thing happens on the Intel chips; the more cores/threads are active at a time, the lower the boost clock.

If a single active core does up to 4.4ghz...
Then 2 active is up to 4.3ghz...
3 active is up to 4.2ghz...
4 active is up to 4.1ghz... may not be exactly like that, but you should get the idea.

EDIT: You're not only activating all cores/threads with Prime 95, but likely power throttling the cpu too.
The app is a power virus; cpu most likely sat on it's 65w power limit - assuming HP didn't turn it down, as specs show that it's adjustable - thus causing it to have no room to boost and staying at 3.6ghz.

So having a few cores active at a time due to the OS, your chosen 3rd party apps, and whatever junkware HP installed beforehand, isn't the same as activating all the cores + power throttling them.

Last edited:
Solution
Hey I'm totally new to this community! I'm having some problems with my cpu. When idle it will run at around 4.1GHz(45-50c) which is lower than the advertised boost clock, and when I run a stress test with prime 95 my cpu will immediately drop down to 3.6GHz and stay there. After I turn off the stress test cpu is around 80-85c and the cpu immediately goes back up to 4.1GHz. I'm just wondering what might be causing this frequency drop. And I am on an omen system so I have just about no control over cpu voltage in BIOS or anything like that. Oh and I did just install the noctua fan controller so that my fans actually spin above their lowest rpm but I don't think this would haver anything to do with it.
Edit: I have at nvidia rtx 3060, and my main question would be is betting cooling would maybe fix this issue because I have a nocua air cpu cooler on my list of things to get but this also doesn't seem to correlate 100% with the cpu temp.
Looks like typical heat/temperature throttling, if your temps are 80-85c after torture test, they are most probably over throttle limit during the test. Don't forget that "G" models also have IGPU in same package and that's added heat.
Is CPU fan also connected to that Noctua controller ? It should be connected to CPU_FAN header so they react to CPU temps.

Reactions: KyaraM
May 21, 2022
Looks like typical heat/temperature throttling, if your temps are 80-85c after torture test, they are most probably over throttle limit during the test. Don't forget that "G" models also have IGPU in same package and that's added heat.
Is CPU fan also connected to that Noctua controller ? It should be connected to CPU_FAN header so they react to CPU temps.
thanks for the replies, that does make sense about the multi core usage causing lower speeds. And no I had to plug the cpu fan into the controller because no matter how hot the cpu got the fans would be so quiet I almost couldn't hear them and the gpu fan was the only one I had control of because of the omen motherboard. With that setup other than when I was doing the torture test on the cpu I haven't seen it above 70c.

thanks for the replies, that does make sense about the multi core usage causing lower speeds. And no I had to plug the cpu fan into the controller because no matter how hot the cpu got the fans would be so quiet I almost couldn't hear them and the gpu fan was the only one I had control of because of the omen motherboard. With that setup other than when I was doing the torture test on the cpu I haven't seen it above 70c.
Also if you get a better cooling, you should try to use PBO and try to use the negative offset on curve optimizer if there is such an option, i did mine on 5600G + B550M Pro4, +200mhz max boost pbo while -16 on curve optimizer, wont go above 1.4v on all core boost and its stable, you should find your own value if you're about to do curve optimizer.