Question Ryzen 5 5600x is not working with MSI b550 Mag Tomahawk

May 25, 2022
I bought brand new Ryzen 5 5600x, msi b550 mag tomahawk and asus tuf gaming 650w psu. When tried to power up pc is not reacting like there is no power, but I checked everything many times, tried BIOS update many times... Converted usb to FAT32, and renamed file to MSI.ROM, while nothing is connected to the motherboard besides psu, and still nothing. So i send cpu to service, and they said it's working fine. Also checked psu on my old motherboard it boots up everything fine. I read on other forums people have same issue with this particular board and cpu, there were no answers.

Your motherboard BIOS may not be up to a version that recognizes Ryzen 5000 CPU's...not common now but a possibility. You can update it using the Flashback button but probably aren't having success. There are several youtube how-to's but I like this one because it shows you a number of common problems to avoid.

Otherwise, double check and triple check that all connections are correct and tight.

Last edited:
Reactions: kurdtnz
May 25, 2022
Your motherboard BIOS may not be up to a version that recognizes Ryzen 5000 CPU's...not common now but a possibility. You can update it using the Flashback button but probably aren't having success. There are several youtube how-to's but I like this one because it shows you a number of common problems to avoid.

Otherwise, double check and triple check that all connections are correct and tight.

I did try to update bios with Flashback button with the latest bios version 7C91vA9, I followed this youtube tutorial also, and nothing. I did forgot to mention that when i take off cpu from motherboard and leave everything else connected, it does power up, board lights up, coolers are spinning, graphic card lights up too. So thats why I thought maybe it's cpu, but as i said it's tested and working properly (in service).

I did try to update bios with Flashback button with the latest bios version 7C91vA9, I followed this youtube tutorial also, and nothing. I did forgot to mention that when i take off cpu from motherboard and leave everything else connected, it does power up, board lights up, coolers are spinning, graphic card lights up too. So thats why I thought maybe it's cpu, but as i said it's tested and working properly (in service).
You might try disconnecting everything except CPU and one stick of memory...oh and GPU to connect to the monitor. The CPU should have the cooler, of course, and it's fan connected but all other fans disconnected for now.

You want to get into BIOS, that's all that's necessary right now.

If all else fails, take it to a shop and let them update BIOS for you.

oh yes, forgot this: try several different USB sticks. it can be picky about the particular one: I have an old 512MB USB 1.5 stick I use for that. And BE PATIENT; there should be an LED flashing while updating, wait it out.

Last edited:
May 25, 2022
You might try disconnecting everything except CPU and one stick of memory...oh and GPU to connect to the monitor. The CPU should have the cooler, of course, and it's fan connected but all other fans disconnected for now.

You want to get into BIOS, that's all that's necessary right now.

If all else fails, take it to a shop and let them update BIOS for you.

oh yes, forgot this: try several different USB sticks. it can be picky about the particular one: I have an old 512MB USB 1.5 stick I use for that. And BE PATIENT; there should be an LED flashing while updating, wait it out.
Okay thanks, will do.

May 25, 2022
So the problem was in the motherboard... I send it to the shop and after two weeks maybe they send me back a new one. They tested the board in service and said that it's faulty. And now everything works fine.

Reactions: Why_Me

TRENDING THREADS