[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 5600x rx 460 2gb vs Ryzen 5 5600g

Jan 6, 2022
Would it be better if i got a ryzen 5 5600x and use it with my rx 460 2gb but ik it will probably bottleneck which will cause stutters or is it better to go with a ryzen 5 5600g without a gpu and use intergrated gpu so it doesn't stutter, and can anyone tell me what the fps difference would be? and which is a better choice? (cant buy a new gpu now because of prices)

Reactions: John Chesterfield
Jan 6, 2022
The 5600X + RX 460 is a better combination. If you're concerned about having a smoother experience, the CPU is primarily responsible for doing this. Also APUs only have 8 lanes for a video card. While this isn't problematic per se, given the choice of having 8 or 16, I'd rather take 16.

Also the RX 460 has better performance anyway: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-Vega-11-Ryzen-iGPU-vs-AMD-RX-460/m401440vs3641
https://ie.pcpartpicker.com/list/yTTJz7
this is the build
budget is 1k for the whole pc without a gpu, but gpu used will be rx 460 2gb, until i can get a higher tier rtx 30series gpu for a fair price.

Jan 6, 2022
Would it be better if i got a ryzen 5 5600x and use it with my rx 460 2gb but ik it will probably bottleneck which will cause stutters or is it better to go with a ryzen 5 5600g without a gpu and use intergrated gpu so it doesn't stutter, and can anyone tell me what the fps difference would be? and which is a better choice? (cant buy a new gpu now because of prices)
some stuff on pcpartpicker are overpriced like the case , psu , storage, and ram all of it was exactly 1030euros = 1166$

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
the 5600x is only about 200mhz faster that the 5600g,. and the "vega rx7" graphics (which is equivelent to the "vega 8 5000 series cpus), is only about 9% slower graphics that the rx460 2g, but if you have 16gb+ memory, you can increase the onboard graphics to 4gb,8gb,16gb(if you have 32gb ram), and you could over clock the onboard gpu by 50-100mhz and have faster graphics (but it will be only 8 lanes(8x, not 16x pcie). but you could also use your rx 460 with the 5600g, and then have a back up. so if your rx 460 fails or you need to sell it to get the extra cash when the card you want is available. you can always use the onboard graphics for a few days. until new one arrives. , either way you will get a good CPU..

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
if you have 16gb+ memory, you can increase the onboard graphics to 4gb,8gb,16gb(if you have 32gb ram)

Do you mind linking some information about this aspect?

I have not owned a Ryzen iGPU. The last one I owned was an A series. With it and Intel flavors I am not aware of a way to increase the reserved amount of available RAM. Please expound and teach me something?

I'm also not inclined to believe that adding 50-100MHz to a 1900MHz clocked GPU will make up the deficit between it and the RX 460. That speed bump is at best 5%, but that doesn't actually mean 5% better performance.

Also 3DMark seems to paint an even bleaker picture for the Vega 7:
Yes the Vega 7 summary is not from the 5600G, but the summary uses the graphics score, which relatively CPU independent.

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
Do you mind linking some information about this aspect?

I have not owned a Ryzen iGPU. The last one I owned was an A series. With it and Intel flavors I am not aware of a way to increase the reserved amount of available RAM. Please expound and teach me something?

each motherboards bios is different, but if you go into the motherboards bios and look in advance. you would normally find an "IGPU"(or onboard graphics) setting. it might say "auto" you would need to click it to manual, and more options will appear underneath . and it will give you option to increase the onboard graphics size from 64mb all the way upto 32gb.. but the rule of thumb is " half and half max". so if you have 8gb ddr ram(you can only have upto 4gb onboard graphics, 16gb ddr(8gb onboard),32gb ddr4(16gb onboard graphics),,etc.. as for ocer clocking , again you would have to search for it.(it might be in the same place as where you up the onboard graphics).. you can increase its speed from +50-200 mhz.. but make sure you have good cooling. on CPU. so you dont overheat. im currently running my ryzen 3 3200g (im using a nvidia 1050ti now, but for 3 weeks i was on my onboard IGPU, using 4gb ram(i could have upped it to 8gb) and over clocked it by 150mhz. and it was fine. played the games no issues.

my ryzen 5 5600g arrives in a few days. for some readon amd chose to lower the onboard IGPU to vega 8, when other older cpu's had vega 11 , but the core speed for the IGPU will be 2000mhz,(or 1900mhz).

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
each motherboards bios is different, but if you go into the motherboards bios and look in advance. you would normally find an "IGPU"(or onboard graphics) setting. it might say "auto" you would need to click it to manual, and more options will appear underneath . and it will give you option to increase the onboard graphics size from 64mb all the way upto 32gb.. but the rule of thumb is " half and half max". so if you have 8gb ddr ram(you can only have upto 4gb onboard graphics, 16gb ddr(8gb onboard),32gb ddr4(16gb onboard graphics),,etc.. as for ocer clocking , again you would have to search for it.(it might be in the same place as where you up the onboard graphics).. you can increase its speed from +50-200 mhz.. but make sure you have good cooling. on CPU. so you dont overheat. im currently running my ryzen 3 3200g (im using a nvidia 1050ti now, but for 3 weeks i was on my onboard IGPU, using 4gb ram(i could have upped it to 8gb) and over clocked it by 150mhz. and it was fine. played the games no issues.

my ryzen 5 5600g arrives in a few days. for some readon amd chose to lower the onboard IGPU to vega 8, when other older cpu's had vega 11 , but the core speed for the IGPU will be 2000mhz,(or 1900mhz).

Thanks for that. I haven't used one, so wasn't aware this was a thing.

I do wonder, given the throughput on such a device, wouldn't increasing the memory buffer beyond a certain amount be more of a warm and fuzzy rather than actually doing anything?
Think back to the discussion regarding the GTX 960 variant with the 2 or 4GB of RAM. It was commonly "said" that the GPU couldn't really utilize the 4GB. Was this your experience with the 3200G?

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
I'm also not inclined to believe that adding 50-100MHz to a 1900MHz clocked GPU will make up the deficit between it and the RX 460. That speed bump is at best 5%, but that doesn't actually mean 5% better performance.

Also 3DMark seems to paint an even bleaker picture for the Vega 7:
Yes the Vega 7 summary is not from the 5600G, but the summary uses the graphics score, which relatively CPU independent.

i was fold it was closer to the vega 7 (ryzen 5000 series). i was going on what ive see on other sites and graphics comparisons.. i get my r5 5600g in a few days , i will run some tests and hope it will help here. i only have my nvidia 1050ti to compare against, but it will shed some light.

TRENDING THREADS