[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 5600x temperature

ruikarikun

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021
Hey I have Ryzen 5 5600x with ID-Cooling 224 xt + Asus tuf B550m plus with last bios, auto boost.
This is during idle/game downloading

https://ibb.co/BtjQMDM
Do I need to worry about voltage 1.4-1.46 in "max" column and about temperature? I am not sure which temperature is correct cpu temp? Cpu CCD1 = 37.3 C or package = 47 C?
As I understand cooler work on standard plan, maybe I should increase it to full?
Thanks.

Solution
This cooler ID-Cooling 224 xt can handle 180w is it not enough? Not familiar with curve optimizer.

Looking at your cooler it's basically a Hyper 212 knock off...that's a solid middle of the road cooler that will work fine if you're not chasing peak performance. With Ryzen cpus if you want to squeeze every bit of performance from the core you need a high-end cooler because heat, along with voltage and clock speed, make up the three pillars of the internal Ryzen algorithm. The more mass a heatsink has the larger the thermal capacity and its ability to absorb heat before reaching saturation. This is why large AIOs work so well...all of that water adds a tremendous amount of thermal mass to the total cooling system. A typical...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hey I have Ryzen 5 5600x with ID-Cooling 224 xt + Asus tuf B550m plus with last bios, auto boost.
This is during idle/game downloading

https://ibb.co/BtjQMDM
Do I need to worry about voltage 1.4-1.46 in "max" column and about temperature? I am not sure which temperature is correct cpu temp? Cpu CCD1 = 37.3 C or package = 47 C?
As I understand cooler work on standard plan, maybe I should increase it to full?
Thanks.
No answer to that you check your temps by stress testing the processor not at idle.

https://ibb.co/m0KKJnd
It looks like it not using full clock speed? I saw 3.9-4.3 during test, most of the time it's near 4.1.
Do I need to change something in bios? Or it is normal behaviour.

It looks completely normal. You don't get max clock speeds under full load...that only happens in lighter workloads when using 1 or 2 cores. With a better cooler you will hit slightly higher clock speeds for both light and heavy workloads.

If your motherboard allows it you can use the curve optimizer with a negative offset to also tweak clock speeds somewhat. If you're not familiar with using the curve optimizer I'd recommend you do some reading and watch a few videos on it before messing with it.

ruikarikun

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021
It looks completely normal. You don't get max clock speeds under full load...that only happens in lighter workloads when using 1 or 2 cores. With a better cooler you will hit slightly higher clock speeds for both light and heavy workloads.

If your motherboard allows it you can use the curve optimizer with a negative offset to also tweak clock speeds somewhat. If you're not familiar with using the curve optimizer I'd recommend you do some reading and watch a few videos on it before messing with it.
This cooler ID-Cooling 224 xt can handle 180w is it not enough? Not familiar with curve optimizer.

ruikarikun

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021
Sorry for disturb again, I tried one game with heavy main thread. So MSI afterburner shows 4650Mhz then if a few seconds it back to 3600-4000Mhz then again boost to 4650 Mhz, like not stable. Is this normal behavior, sorry I am new to this.

Looking at your cooler it's basically a Hyper 212 knock off...that's a solid middle of the road cooler that will work fine if you're not chasing peak performance. With Ryzen cpus if you want to squeeze every bit of performance from the core you need a high-end cooler because heat, along with voltage and clock speed, make up the three pillars of the internal Ryzen algorithm. The more mass a heatsink has the larger the thermal capacity and its ability to absorb heat before reaching saturation. This is why large AIOs work so well...all of that water adds a tremendous amount of thermal mass to the total cooling system. A typical high-end air cooler would be Noctua NH D15. I have one, and it's every bit as good as a 280mm AIO but it is, in a word, "huge". It's a big honking air cooler that requires a lot of space in a pc but the reward is very good temp control...I typically see sub 65c gaming temps and idle around 30c. I also have a BeQuiet Pure Rock 2, which is similar to your cooler, and it idles on average about 5c hotter than the NH D-15 while hitting mid 70s under load.

"Sorry for disturb again, I tried one game with heavy main thread. So MSI afterburner shows 4650Mhz then if a few seconds it back to 3600-4000Mhz then again boost to 4650 Mhz, like not stable. Is this normal behavior, sorry I am new to this."

Yes it's normal for the cpu speed to vary with load. A larger heatsink will help lessen the amount of swing but it will never just sit at one speed.

Also running the "balanced" power plan in Windows may help smooth things out for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: ruikarikun
Solution

ruikarikun

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021
Yes it's normal for the cpu speed to vary with load. A larger heatsink will help lessen the amount of swing but it will never just sit at one speed.

Also running the "balanced" power plan in Windows may help smooth things out for you.
Hey again. I did some test during game with unlocked fps.
It looks like https://ibb.co/vQrrVMV
I am worry about voltages it changes between 1.35 - 1.45V. Is it normal or not?

I am worry about voltages it changes between 1.35 - 1.45V. Is it normal or not?
That's perfectly normal or maybe even a little bit low. When set up right it's not uncommon to see voltage peaks up to 1.5V in light bursty processing loads when the CPU boosts to maximum clocks. But that may just be how you've set up HWInfo. Ryzen CPU's are highly dynamic so those peaks might pass to fast to be caught in default settings.

Use the following guide to set up HWInfo to be able to follow it well. Be sure to set up graphs on the desktop to be able to see how voltages and core clocks vary across time.

Last edited:
Reactions: dorsai