Discussion Ryzen 5 VS Intel I5 - Surprising performance differences.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Ryzen 5 1600 vs. Core i5-7600K, How Times Have Changed!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97sDKvMHd8c

Recently, Hardware Unboxed uploaded a video titled "Ryzen 5 1600 vs. Core i5-7600K, How Times Have Changed!" detailing in-depth benchmarks between the Core I5 7600k and the AMD Ryzen 5 1600.
Both processors were tested both at stock and at mildly overclocked frequencies. Both CPUs were tested with an RTX 2080ti and an identical kit of 3200mhz Gskill ram with XMP on. The Ryzen 5 1600 was tested on the MSI B450 tomahawk motherboard, while the 7600k was tested with MCE off on the ASRock Z270 Taichi motherboard. Both CPUs were cooled by the Corsair H100i Pro RGB AIO.

This video was a follow up to their original comparison around the launch of 1st generation Ryzen, roughly 2 years ago.
In 2017, if you wanted an overclockable mid range cpu, 2 popular choices were the 6 core, 12 thread, AMD Ryzen 5 1600 and the 4 core 4 thread Intel Core i5 7600k.

Hardware Unboxed's launch benchmarks showed the Intel Core I5 7600k had a higher overall framerate in the majority of games when compared to the AMD Ryzen 5 1600. However, the benchmarks also showed the AMD Ryzen 5 1600 surpassed the Intel Core i5 7600k in framerate stability at times and surpassed the I5 in multithreaded applications. It was also noted that the AMD Ryzen 5 1600 included a Wraith Spire cooler and the Intel Core I5 7600k came with no included cooler.

Now, Hardware Unboxed released updated benchmarks testing newer games. These benchmarks showed the I5 7600k only has a significant lead in 1 title, Far Cry New Dawn. There were a few titles where the I5 slightly won and there were somewhere the Ryzen 5 slightly won, basically a draw. In modern CPU demanding games such as AC Odyssey, Battlefield 5, SOTR, and The Division 2, the AMD Ryzen 5 1600 had a significant lead over the Intel Core I5 7600.
Steve did mention that programs getting optimized for ryzen and intels hits from patches may have contributed to ryzens increased performance, as well as games using more threads.

This leaves me with a few questions for yall.
  1. Do you think that AMD Ryzen optimizations have helped the Ryzen 5 1600 to surpass the Intel Core I5 in modern titles, or do you think the extra cores and threads are the main reason for the better performance?
  2. Do you think that in the future we will see similar results when comparing the Ryzen 5 2600 to the Core I5 8600k or 9400f?
I am surprised how well the I5 performed for only 4 threads, however, the Ryzen 5 1600 can be bought online for like $100, making it an incredible value.

Last edited: