Question Ryzen 5000 series won't boot with video drivers

Aug 15, 2022
Hi everyone !

I recently bought the AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d but I'm having major problems with it: My PC won't boot to Windows if the video drivers are installed.
I updated my motherboards BIOS for it to be compatible with the new CPU and it worked fine, for the first 10 seconds. When Windows tried to load the video drivers, my PC just crashed.
I know it's an issue with the 5000 series because I have the same problem with a 5700x but not with a 3600x or a 4650G.
This issue only happens when the video card is in the top PCIe slot but running the card without drivers or on the bottom slot are not viable options.

What I tried as of now: updating my BIOS to the beta version (advised by MSI), reinstalling the chipset drivers and video drivers, reset BIOS by clearing CMOS, updating the GPU firmware, installing an older video driver.

My specs:
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d
  • Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070
  • Seasonic Focus GX-850
  • MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus (BIOS version: 7C56v1B2)
  • 2x16GB of DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX at 3200MHz
  • Arctic Liquid Freezer II (240mm)
  • Samsung 870 EVO (1TB), another M.2 drive and 2 SATA ssd
  • Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Any idea of what to do ?

Last edited:
Reset the bios by jumper jbat1 (shorten the pins for about 5 seconds) or remove the cmos battery for about 5 minutes and place it back

Install windows freshly with the new cpu

Run a minimum setup, only cpu, vga, psu, motherboard, one ram

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022
You installed a beta bios. Probably should have installed the one prior to that. I do agree that a CMOS reset is a good thing to try first though. Shouldn't need to reinstall windows, for a new CPU.
I already did install the one before that and it was the same so I messaged MSI and they told me to try with the one in beta. I already did a CMOS reset.

Aug 15, 2022
Check your temps, in bios, to make sure you aren't overheating somehow. Also be sure not to overtighten the screws, on you AIO. I made that mistake on my first Ryzen build, with a Cryorig A40, which caused my board to bend and made the CPU overheat.
Temps are normal (between 38°C and 44°C idle), I normally screw the AIO until I can't anymore by hand and only use a screwdriver to remove the screws so. Temps are not the problem but thanks, I didn't think of mentionning temps.
I'm starting to wonder if my MB is the problem, every componant works great on their own but somehow the GPU, with drivers, in the top PCIe slot, while a 5000 series CPU is installed is a no go.

Last edited:

logainofhades

Titan
As any 5000 series chip is giving you this problem, I would probably say it is the board as well. I had to return one of those boards, when I picked it up for a friend's build. The top M.2 slot was dead. I chalked it up to being an early release, and bad luck.

Aug 15, 2022
As any 5000 series chip is giving you this problem, I would probably say it is the board as well. I had to return one of those boards, when I picked it up for a friend's build. The top M.2 slot was dead. I chalked it up to being an early release, and bad luck.
Yeah, I guess got unlucky on that one. I'll get a new one at the end of the month and I'll be sure to post something here to say wether it was indeed the problem. Is there an AM4 board you'd recommend, preferably below 250$ ? And thanks again for your input.

Aug 15, 2022
The MSI B550 Tomahawk is supposedly a good board. My second rig currently is using a Gigabyte B550 elite v2. No issues with it so far, but I don't use it much, and it has my old 3700x in it.
Nice thank you ! I was thinking about the NZXT N7 B550 as it is compatible with the 5000 series out of the box (well, if I order from them at least) and it would look really good in my system but I'm not sure what it's worth. I'll keep your recommendation in mind and do my research until I buy one, thanks :)

Aug 15, 2022
I am not sure how good, or bad, those NZXT boards are. My main rig is an ITX build, currently, and it is using an X570 I Aorus pro wifi. I tend to prefer gigabyte, for AM4 boards, having used two myself, and a couple others for other people's builds.
Hi ! I "fixed" the issue ! I forced the PCIe slot to Gen 3.0 and it now works like a charm. Since the performance in games is mostly insignificant I'm happy like that. Thanks again for your help along the way :)