News Ryzen 5000 Support Comes Early to Biostar, AsRock, and Asus B450 Motherboards

mikie tim t

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
There is an F60c BIOS for Gigabyte B450M DS3H motherboards that's been on the BIOS downloads for a couple of weeks now, so Gigabyte is putting the beta BIOS downloads out for B450 boards now too even if they don't have anything "official" announced. "Enhanced processor compatibility" is what all of the F60c BIOS download descriptions state, and there are reports already of some running Ryzen 5000 CPUs on them.

Reactions: DMAN999

Teeroy32

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Now all I need to know is when MSI is going to release theirs so I can upgrade the R5-2600 in my B450 Gaming plus AC Mitx board. Considering they were one of the most bullish about backwards compatibility, I'd expect it soon. Well I will when 5600x's are actually in stock.

Reactions: Wolfshadw

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Asus just added this newer Beta BIOS to their support page:
Version 4001 Beta Version
2020/11/24 10.68 MBytes
ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING BIOS 4001
  1. Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.1.8.0 for new CPU support
  2. It’s highly recommended not to update this beta BIOS when using AMD AM4 Socket for AMD Ryzen™ 3000 Series/ 2000 Series/ 1000 Series/ A-Series Desktop Processors.
  3. This beta BIOS can’t be reversed.
ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING | ROG - Republic Of Gamers | ASUS USA

Teeroy32

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
In the same boat as @Teeroy32, but I'm looking to update to a Ryzen 7 early next year.

-Wolf sends
I'd love an 8 core, but between the exchange rate and the "Australia" tax that retailers apply to stuff here and the 5600x is $469, the 5800x is $699. I was only going to get a 3700x or a 3800x till I saw how well the 5600x performs in gaming which is all I do.

mikie tim t

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
There is an F60c BIOS for Gigabyte B450M DS3H motherboards that's been on the BIOS downloads for a couple of weeks now, so Gigabyte is putting the beta BIOS downloads out for B450 boards now too even if they don't have anything "official" announced. "Enhanced processor compatibility" is what all of the F60c BIOS download descriptions state, and there are reports already of some running Ryzen 5000 CPUs on them.

The CPU support page for my Gigabyte MB listed above now has officially put the Vermeer processors in the CPU table with the F60c BIOS. CPU Support

Last edited:
Reactions: DMAN999

lukemancuso

Honorable
Jan 12, 2015
yep can confirm, running a 5800x on my ds3h right now after installing f60c. been running with no issues so far

mikie tim t

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
yep can confirm, running a 5800x on my ds3h right now after installing f60c. been running with no issues so far
Same here. Just got mine in from MicroCenter after a fiasco of a store visit Saturday. Just got lucky that the only 2 MicroCenters in the country that had any in stock of only 5800X's (and none of anything else Vermeer) were within 6 hours. Picked the closer one within 4 hours after their website stated that they were in-stock with 1 5800X, but was readying myself to redirect to Brentwood part way for a couple hours longer drive each way if it dropped to 0 midtrip. Got past the logical turnoff to Brentwood and was checking the stock level at Overland Park. Stayed steady at 1 remaining, so rolled the dice and continued north since it was only 2.5 hours away at that point. Pulled into the lot after refreshing the page on my phone every stoplight and was elated to see there was still 1 available. Masked and sanitized up and headed in to find out that the 1 they had was "quarantined". Asked how they could show an unavailable processor to be in stock, however the sales guy stated they wouldn't sell me the processor due to "policy". Asked to speak with the store manager, who said it would only be available at end of day, which was 10PM. Not a reasonable request to make of me due to drive time that would put me home well into the twilight morning hours, so I proposed just buying the processor from them and just have them ship it home to me so I wouldn't have to touch it until it arrived and any potential covids died off. Wouldn't do it. Policy. Told him how far I drove to get there based on the information both they and the public had, but then he had the gall to tell me someone else had driven 6 hours, like that was something for him to be proud of or something that would shame me into just going away. Asked to speak with his supervisor to attempt to work out an exception to the policy in this case due to their mistake, and he wouldn't assist me getting in touch with him, so I proceeded to let him know if things ended this way, it was a lousy way to run a business and I'd have no choice but to use every avenue available to crucify the store online. He did the typical "handling" thing and just grumbled that he was "sorry you feel that way" before just walking away. Frustrated, got into my car and attempted to reach a human at corporate by phone, but no answer, no IVR, and no voicemail, so the 4 hour trip home emptyhanded was much less hopeful than the trip up had been. Prayed for something positive to come out of the crummy experience and prayed over the store manager, and when I got home, went onto MicroCenter's website and found a Chat option. Described my ordeal of the day and the experience with the store manager who was clearly having a bad day in that madhouse of a store. Included a screenshot of the inventory level on the website which STILL showed the 1 on-hand processor. They stated that quarantined processors should not be showing up as available, they needed to escalate this to their web department, and that I had not been dealt with appropriately by the on-duty manager, who clearly must have been having a bad day the way he handled my issue. They created a ticket for me and I pressed them on how long would be an appropriate grace period to give them a chance to work out a resolution of some kind. Made the same offer that I was trying to make in the store just to ship the 5800X processor to me after handling payment details, but they talked to their leads and politely requested that I give them a little time to work out something equitable. Thought that was it and was going to pray over it at church the next day, so tucked the kids in and went to bed and got everyone ready to head to church the next morning when I got a call from MicroCenter. It was the opening store manager at Overland Park who apologized for the way things were handled the day before by the other manager, and they offered to overnight ship the processor to me after taking payment info over the phone, so both MicroCenter and the Lord did indeed make for a positive end to the story. And, for the record, they made it very clear that they don't ship processors, so this was an extremely rare incident. Just got the Noctua heat sink and the illusive processor in today, and typing this post up using it after updating the BIOS and installing the beast. A 3600X wasn't particularly sluggish, but it was immediately noticeable how snappy this one is with PBO and XMP re-enabled after the swap. Just waiting on some faster memory and fixing to see how Microsoft Flight Simulator handles now that there's more grunt. Just wish there was more availability of these glorious beasts. AMD could be mopping up right now.

Dec 14, 2020
Same here. Just got mine in from MicroCenter after a fiasco of a store visit Saturday. Just got lucky that the only 2 MicroCenters in the country that had any in stock of only 5800X's (and none of anything else Vermeer) were within 6 hours. Picked the closer one within 4 hours after their website stated that they were in-stock with 1 5800X, but was readying myself to redirect to Brentwood part way for a couple hours longer drive each way if it dropped to 0 midtrip. Got past the logical turnoff to Brentwood and was checking the stock level at Overland Park. Stayed steady at 1 remaining, so rolled the dice and continued north since it was only 2.5 hours away at that point. Pulled into the lot after refreshing the page on my phone every stoplight and was elated to see there was still 1 available. Masked and sanitized up and headed in to find out that the 1 they had was "quarantined". Asked how they could show an unavailable processor to be in stock, however the sales guy stated they wouldn't sell me the processor due to "policy". Asked to speak with the store manager, who said it would only be available at end of day, which was 10PM. Not a reasonable request to make of me due to drive time that would put me home well into the twilight morning hours, so I proposed just buying the processor from them and just have them ship it home to me so I wouldn't have to touch it until it arrived and any potential covids died off. Wouldn't do it. Policy. Told him how far I drove to get there based on the information both they and the public had, but then he had the gall to tell me someone else had driven 6 hours, like that was something for him to be proud of or something that would shame me into just going away. Asked to speak with his supervisor to attempt to work out an exception to the policy in this case due to their mistake, and he wouldn't assist me getting in touch with him, so I proceeded to let him know if things ended this way, it was a lousy way to run a business and I'd have no choice but to use every avenue available to crucify the store online. He did the typical "handling" thing and just grumbled that he was "sorry you feel that way" before just walking away. Frustrated, got into my car and attempted to reach a human at corporate by phone, but no answer, no IVR, and no voicemail, so the 4 hour trip home emptyhanded was much less hopeful than the trip up had been. Prayed for something positive to come out of the crummy experience and prayed over the store manager, and when I got home, went onto MicroCenter's website and found a Chat option. Described my ordeal of the day and the experience with the store manager who was clearly having a bad day in that madhouse of a store. Included a screenshot of the inventory level on the website which STILL showed the 1 on-hand processor. They stated that quarantined processors should not be showing up as available, they needed to escalate this to their web department, and that I had not been dealt with appropriately by the on-duty manager, who clearly must have been having a bad day the way he handled my issue. They created a ticket for me and I pressed them on how long would be an appropriate grace period to give them a chance to work out a resolution of some kind. Made the same offer that I was trying to make in the store just to ship the 5800X processor to me after handling payment details, but they talked to their leads and politely requested that I give them a little time to work out something equitable. Thought that was it and was going to pray over it at church the next day, so tucked the kids in and went to bed and got everyone ready to head to church the next morning when I got a call from MicroCenter. It was the opening store manager at Overland Park who apologized for the way things were handled the day before by the other manager, and they offered to overnight ship the processor to me after taking payment info over the phone, so both MicroCenter and the Lord did indeed make for a positive end to the story. And, for the record, they made it very clear that they don't ship processors, so this was an extremely rare incident. Just got the Noctua heat sink and the illusive processor in today, and typing this post up using it after updating the BIOS and installing the beast. A 3600X wasn't particularly sluggish, but it was immediately noticeable how snappy this one is with PBO and XMP re-enabled after the swap. Just waiting on some faster memory and fixing to see how Microsoft Flight Simulator handles now that there's more grunt. Just wish there was more availability of these glorious beasts. AMD could be mopping up right now.

Gigabyte has now released version F60e. Can you confirm the BIOS version F60c (or e) is backwards compatible with the 3600x that you had before that? Were you running it with the 3600x and version F60 before replacing the CPU?

mikie tim t

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Gigabyte has now released version F60e. Can you confirm the BIOS version F60c (or e) is backwards compatible with the 3600x that you had before that? Were you running it with the 3600x and version F60 before replacing the CPU?
I did run it for a little bit on F60C before shutting down and swapping the processors. I confess that I didn't run it very long, or with a stress test of any kind, however. It does boot and run Windows, though, on a 3600X. I'm now up to F60E as well on the 5800X.

Dec 14, 2020
I did run it for a little bit on F60C before shutting down and swapping the processors. I confess that I didn't run it very long, or with a stress test of any kind, however. It does boot and run Windows, though, on a 3600X. I'm now up to F60E as well on the 5800X.

thanks because of the bios update I hope to run it on windows also with my 2700x and f60e bios version (so I can heat up the paste with a stress test before removing the 2700x). Otherwise I heat up before the bios update but it will have cooled down until the update is done