[SOLVED] Ryzen 53600 or i5-10600(non k)?

Jun 6, 2020
I was waiting for the new 5000 series up until now but since they a re bit overpriced I have decided to just go for a 3600 or 10600( non k version).
Can anyone suggest me which one should I choose to pair with my 1660ti ? I couldn't find much on 10600, I still feel it's better than 3600.i don't plan on overclocking. Any other cpu suggestions will be helpful.

Solution
Well any upgrade from a 4th Gen i5 will be a massive upgrade
A Ryzen 3100-3300X or i3-10xxx wouldn't be that much of an upgrade - at least nothing I would consider worth the trouble.

After all, once you have installed a graphics card, how many more expansion slots would you ever use?
Likely none.
If you are going to keep a system for 5+ years (I'm still using an i5-3470 on an Asus h77m motherboard), chances are you may be wishing for a USB4 port or two. The M.2 form factor may get replaced by something else and you may want to have the ability to use one of those next-gen form factor drives in your system, which would also require a PCIe slot. One of my friends wanted to give me an NVMe SSD last year but I turned it down...
If gaming is your priority, then 10600 is maybe a better choice. I say that only because it has much higher single core boost frequency. But reality is, most games prefer 4-6 cores, so I don't think you'd notice a difference in gaming.
As for the rest I would choose 3600 anytime:
-about the same overall PC performance,
-included cooler is much better than Intel's
-motherboard cheaper than for Intel
-better upgrade options in future

Jun 6, 2020
If gaming is your priority, then 10600 is maybe a better choice. I say that only because it has much higher single core boost frequency. But reality is, most games prefer 4-6 cores, so I don't think you'd notice a difference in gaming.
As for the rest I would choose 3600 anytime:
-about the same overall PC performance,
-included cooler is much better than Intel's
-motherboard cheaper than for Intel
-better upgrade options in future
I don't think there will be any upgrade on this motherboard in the future. Since most likely they are finally going to abandon am4 for ddr5.so it really doesn't matter.

What is your budget?
With your $280 GTX1660ti, you gaming performance is mostly decided.
One rule of thumb is to budget about 2x the cost of the processor for the graphics card.
By that metric, $140 would be appropriate for the processor.
I might suggest looking at a simple i3-10100 processor.
I used one in my son's build, and I found it to be very quick.
Here is a gaming review :
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/15.html
You will find it quite comparable to a 3600.

You can use most any lga1200 motherboard and 2666 speed ram.
A B460 based motherboard will be about $75.
If you have definite plans for a future cpu upgrade or overclocking within a year, a Z490 based motherboard will be more like $150.

However, I find that most who buy expensive motherboards up front do not follow through with a processor upgrade several years later. The reason is that better price/performance chipsets and processors are constantly launched.

Do not overspend on a processor if you are on a budget.
Use extra budget on a stronger graphics card, a better monitor, a ssd or such.

Jun 6, 2020
What is your budget?
With your $280 GTX1660ti, you gaming performance is mostly decided.
One rule of thumb is to budget about 2x the cost of the processor for the graphics card.
By that metric, $140 would be appropriate for the processor.
I might suggest looking at a simple i3-10100 processor.
I used one in my son's build, and I found it to be very quick.
Here is a gaming review :
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/15.html
You will find it quite comparable to a 3600.

You can use most any lga1200 motherboard and 2666 speed ram.
A B460 based motherboard will be about $75.
If you have definite plans for a future cpu upgrade or overclocking within a year, a Z490 based motherboard will be more like $150.

However, I find that most who buy expensive motherboards up front do not follow through with a processor upgrade several years later. The reason is that better price/performance chipsets and processors are constantly launched.

Do not overspend on a processor if you are on a budget.
Use extra budget on a stronger graphics card, a better monitor, a ssd or such.

I was thinking on going for something cheap but since I am not going to upgrade after this anytime soon(for atleast 5 years). I though it's best to get cpu that won't bottleneck in future. I am also thinking of doing some game development (just a beginner though) so I feel having atleast 6 core is a must.

InvalidError

Titan
If you want something cheap primarily for gaming and mostly lightly threaded stuff and need to build immediately, I'd go with the i5-10400. If you are willing to wait some more, want something new-gen and are annoyed with Zen 3's price hikes, you could try waiting for Intel's Rocket Lake. With some luck, Intel will maintain its existing price points to ward off further market share erosion and Zen 3 may also see price drops along the way.

Reactions: RodroX
FWIW. I3 no longer means what it used to.
The i3-10100 had 4 cores but 8 threads.

In 5 years, anything you can buy today will be outdated.
You have no idea what games you will want to play then.
You may want a monitor upgrade.
Your most likely future upgrade will be a graphics card.

What is the make/model of your psu?
Looking 5 years out, it should be a quality 650w unit.

"future proofing" is a chimera.
In computing, buy what you need now and for perhaps a year or two.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020
The i3-10100 had 6 cores but 12 threads.

Damn I actually didn't know i3 had 6 cores
I come from an i5-4440 so I thought i3 would kind of give similar performance.

logainofhades

Titan
The i3 10100 is a 4c/8t cpu.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-10100-processor-6m-cache-up-to-4-30-ghz.html

The 10th gen i5 are 6c/12t.

I would choose the 3600, as it can run with faster ram, than a locked i5, on a B or H series chipset board that they should be paired with. That faster ram does make a difference, in modern titles. GN's 10400 review had it losing to an R3 3300x, paired with 3200mhz ram, when it was forced to use 2666, as it would in a B or H series chipset board.

Jun 6, 2020
The i3-10100 had 6 cores but 12 threads.

I looked up on Intel's site and it says it has 4 cores though -.-

Jun 6, 2020
The i3 10100 is a 4c/8t cpu.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-10100-processor-6m-cache-up-to-4-30-ghz.html

The 10th gen i5 are 6c/12t.

I would choose the 3600, as it can run with faster ram, than a locked i5, on a B or H series chipset board that they should be paired with. That faster ram does make a difference, in modern titles. GN's 10400 review had it losing to an R3 3300x, paired with 3200mhz ram, when it was forced to use 2666, as it would in a B or H series chipset board.
And how's the 3500x ?

Jun 6, 2020
You should.
The i3-10100 on a B460 motherboard can only use 2666 ram.
Fast ram on intel makes little difference in performance.

Ryzen is tightly connected to ram and needs fast ram for best performance.
How fast will be determined by the motherboard and processor combo.
Btw does motherboard make a difference? Should I buy a cheap motherboard like asus prime b450m-k or asrock steel legend ( aside from RGB since I don't have a see-through cabinet)

InvalidError

Titan

Unless AMD and Intel dramatically pick up the pace, it does not take much up-front extra investment to put something together that will be good enough for normal people for 5+ years. Game developers have to design their games to accommodate 3-4 years old mid-range hardware because that's what the bulk of their target audience has, so anything "ahead of the curve" bought today will be fine for the foreseeable future. The only people who upgrade every 1-2 years are those who want to be on the cutting edge all of the time and people whose income is directly proportional to how fast they can get things done.

Btw does motherboard make a difference? Should I buy a cheap motherboard like asus prime b450m-k or asrock steel legend ( aside from RGB since I don't have a see-through cabinet)
Unless you plan to overclock, which you cannot with locked chips and non-Z motherboards, almost any motherboard is fine so you should prioritize finding a motherboard that has all of the IO you want, especially on a mATX or smaller boards where you won't have the benefit of spare PCIe slots to supplement any IO needs you may have overlooked.

Whoops, just noticed you wrote b450. Well, most of the same applies: almost any board is still fine if you aren't overclocking.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS