Question Ryzen 5600x crashes after PBO with WHEA-Logger Event ID 46,Memory tested with memtest and passed ,kinda confused but please have a look

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
Hi, The specs are

Ryzen 5 5600x
ASROCK B450M STEEL LEGEND PINK EDITION
RTX 3060 Ti
TEAMGROUP T-FORCE DELTA RGB 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4 3200MHz RAM
Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 Full Modular Power Supply

I'm quite boggled ,so when i turn on PBO Advance and leave eveything to Auto except Max Clock Boost Override to +200Mhz ,pc boots well and after a while crashes and games boot too and crash but even if i lower the clock override on PBO to just +75 mhz ,the same thing happens
Even changing PBO Limits from auto to Motherboard does not help
Even Ryzen Master Auto OC returns with same behavior

And going to windows Event Viewer the error is WHEA-Logger, Event ID 46 -
"A fatal hardware error has occurred.
Component: Memory
Error Source: Machine Check Exception"

So i presumed its the RAM and i turned XMP/DOCP off and still crashes ,even going further ran Memtest86 with 4pass and no errors came back with a clean pass with XMP/DOCP Profile

So i'm just really confused ,is it a bad cpu or a defected motherboard causing such PBO issues or do i need to revert to a older bios or just something else as i cant figure out and every thing was bought a week ago ,so there is possibility of RMA if i'm out of luck but i want that as the last resort and to know what i need to RMA if RMA is needed ,cant just RMA every component xD

I would truly love to hear back any and all advise and troubleshooting guidence

EDIT - also noticed a WHEA-Logger EVENT ID 18
"A fatal hardware error has occurred.
Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 8"

Last edited:
Reactions: levilindsey
pbo disables/changes cpu limits, so you may want to change your voltages
to tell that in simple way, when cpu boosts more, it does ninja energy from other cpu parts, like memory controller

well start with soc voltage at 1.2, see if that helps, if it helps, you can reduce it until unstable

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
pbo disables/changes cpu limits, so you may want to change your voltages
to tell that in simple way, when cpu boosts more, it does ninja energy from other cpu parts, like memory controller

well start with soc voltage at 1.2, see if that helps, if it helps, you can reduce it until unstable
Hey ,thank you but i did that and still same thing happened and even went up a bit and still the same
I even tried a manual overclock of 4650mhz at 1.4v just for stability hoping that might procure some stable results but as before a game runs for some time and crashes with aforementioed errors or casually windows crashes where im assuming when it comes under load
Cant a man simply enjoy PBO AMD uggh
any ideas ?

Feb 23, 2022
Unfortunately, I've had the same problem after installing a brand new 5900x and continue to get crashes day to day no matter what settings I have. If I want to turn PBO on I have to sacrifice half my performance just for my PC to run.. I'm out of ideas as well so I will be rmaing my cpu.

One thing that helped for a was changing the windows power to balanced but that lasts just for a few hours.

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
Just to update: installed new 5900x and the pc is working fine, eliminated my crashes so far.
Thanks for the update ,this confirms its the cpu issue and not just some settings mismatch ,i searched far and wide and many people have RMA'd their processors mostly zen 3 ones with similar issues

Thanks once again for updating and i'll get to the RMA process and btw how long did it take for you to get a new one or did you try someone elses ?

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022
Thanks for the update ,this confirms its the cpu issue and just some settings mismatch ,i searched far and wide and many people have RMA'd their processors mostly zen 3 ones

Thanks once again for updating and i'll get to the RMA process and btw how long did it take for you to get a new one or did you try someone elses ?

I also tried everything in the book, that forum with 95 pages about WHEA crashes and none of them worked so you are in the same boat I was and it is so damn frustrating trying everything for it to work.

They accepted my RMA request and for now because I don't have time to wait for the new CPU to come back, I have purchased a new 5900x from Amazon instead of Newegg where I previously bought it. Going to sell my replacement 5900x to a friend when it arrives, not sure how long the process is but I will update you.
It is definitely a CPU issue, replaced my PSU, RAM, GPU and the crashes were still constant and that doesn't even include the amount of changes I made to my RAM settings and CPU settings in the bios, it's hell.

Aug 15, 2022
levi.dev
Hey Led zeppelin blues, I'm curious if replacing the CPU was what fixed it for you in the end!

I suspect my Ryzen 5900x has the same problem.

I am running into crashes with the same two different system errors in Event Viewer that you mentioned:

WHEA-Logger; Event ID: 46: "
A fatal hardware error has occurred.

The details view of this entry contains further information.
"

WHEA-Logger; Event ID: 18: "

Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC ID: 0
"

Here's what I'm running:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • RAM: TEAMGROUP T-Force Xtreem ARGB 3600MHz CL14 32GB (2x16GB)
  • GPU: PowerColor Red Devil AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX

I keep hitting this about an hour into playing Destiny 2, usually just when I finish a quest and it starts saving/loading a bunch of new state.

I also ran a bunch of Memtest86 runs, and they all passed, so my memory doesn't seem to be the issue.

Hey Led zeppelin blues, I'm curious if replacing the CPU was what fixed it for you in the end!

I am running into crashes with the same two different system errors in Event Viewer that you mentioned:

"

"

Here's what I'm running:
I keep hitting this about an hour into playing Destiny 2, usually just when I finish a quest and it starts saving/loading a bunch of new state.

I also ran a bunch of Memtest86 runs, and they all passed, so my memory doesn't seem to be the issue.

thats infinity fabric
reduce ram clock, start with 3200MHz, then go up until unstable, from that point add voltage to VDDG IOD, amd recommends max 1.1v unless LN2 cooled, default is 0.95v
1800 mhz on fabric shouldnt need 1.1v

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015

"

"

Here's what I'm running:

Ah ,i should i have updated the post and what actually turned out the problem for the crashes was VRMs overheating
Since my pc was in a cabinet to keep it safe from the dogs accidently or purposely chewing on it ,The vrm's were heating up even though the CPU & GPU temps were perfectly decent

After placing a 90mm fan over the VRM heatsink ,never had a crash after that
Now ive just drilled holes and added fans on the cabinet itself and it cools the inside well enough that never had a crash even after removing the 90mm fan

You could try this as well as what the other person mentions about the infinity fabric and hopefully your problem gets solved and if anything else ,dont hesitate to ask

Aug 15, 2022
levi.dev

thats infinity fabric
reduce ram clock, start with 3200MHz, then go up until unstable, from that point add voltage to VDDG IOD, amd recommends max 1.1v unless LN2 cooled, default is 0.95v
1800 mhz on fabric shouldnt need 1.1v

Hey kerberos_20, thanks!! I have a couple questions:

• Would this mean that the problem is with the CPU or the motherboard?
  • How should I be changing these settings? In BIOS, or with some other software?
  • Unfortunately, this crash is very non-deterministic, and usually takes at least an hour to repro. So "go up until unstable" sounds like it'll be hard for me to do accurately. I suspect replacing parts will be the easiest way for me to isolate the fault. But also, replacing either the motherboard or CPU is such a pain...

Would this mean that the problem is with the CPU or the motherboard?
no clue

How should I be changing these settings? In BIOS, or with some other software?
you can change it in bios settings, or if you prefer some software, there is ryzen master
in there just open advanced view, under memory control, set coupled mode = on, memory clock = 1600, fabric clock = 1600
fabric voltage is there called CLD0 VDDG

Unfortunately, this crash is very non-deterministic, and usually takes at least an hour to repro. So "go up until unstable" sounds like it'll be hard for me to do accurately. I suspect replacing parts will be the easiest way for me to isolate the fault. But also, replacing either the motherboard or CPU is such a pain...
take your time, no rush

I suspect replacing parts will be the easiest way for me to isolate the fault. But also, replacing either the motherboard or CPU is such a pain...
as your CPU is rated for 3200MHz ram, you could replace your 3600MHz ram with 3200MHz ram, thats also an option right? :)