[SOLVED] Ryzen 5600x Running at 60 degrees idle.

soak

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
Hey,

Recently upgraded to a b550 motherboard and ryzen 5600x, have a gtx 1660 16 gb 3000 mhz rams, all that good stuff. Was wondering if stock temps are normal at 60 degrees idle, and gaming close to 80 degrees, my old 2600 did not go close to these temps, I have stock wraith cooler, and I don't know what could go wrong in seating the cooler on the cpu because it fit in perfectly. I'm running on completely stock settings, the voltage was set to 1.39 vcore voltage when I checked. Do I need to reapply change the thermal paste on the stock cooler, or get a new cooler or is it normal. Will my chip fry at 80 degrees?

Thanks!

Solution
Hey,

Recently upgraded to a b550 motherboard and ryzen 5600x, have a gtx 1660 16 gb 3000 mhz rams, all that good stuff. Was wondering if stock temps are normal at 60 degrees idle, and gaming close to 80 degrees, my old 2600 did not go close to these temps, I have stock wraith cooler, and I don't know what could go wrong in seating the cooler on the cpu because it fit in perfectly. I'm running on completely stock settings, the voltage was set to 1.39 vcore voltage when I checked. Do I need to reapply change the thermal paste on the stock cooler, or get a new cooler or is it normal. Will my chip fry at 80 degrees?

Thanks!
If that's a fixed 1.39V it would definitely lead to CPU heating problems even in at idle. More importantly...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

1.39v for the core seems to corroborate why you're getting 60 Deg C on idle. That's too high. Settings in BIOS? PBO enabled? What BIOS version are you currently on? Did you reinstall your OS after the platform migration?

It won't exactly fry at 80 Deg C, the question is how long can the processor keep up with that voltage, since heat isn't the only thing robbing the platform of performance, it's pushing too much power through them to degrade them(the silicon) over time.

Mind stating your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

for us? Did you recycle the PSU from your older build? Ambient room air temps? Case airflow?

Reactions: kurdtnz
Hey,

Thanks!
If that's a fixed 1.39V it would definitely lead to CPU heating problems even in at idle. More importantly, you should not ever run fixed voltages on a Ryzen CPU; run it either on AUTO or with an offset. Frequently a slight negative offset returns improved performance on 5000 series CPU's while also controlling temperature, similar to how you can tweak performance of modern GPU's.

But even if not fixed don't confuse temp spikes when it boosts with steady 60C. Ryzen boosts frequently and it can spike temp when it does so you have to use a monitor program with an averaging readout, like HWInfo64.

In short: Ryzen (especially 3rd and 4th gen) works vastly different from any Intel processor. But it's also true that newer Intel processors are vastly different temp-wise from old ones like that 2600 you're remembering. So you have to relearn what 'normal' is!

Last edited:
Solution

soak

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
If that's a fixed 1.39V it would definitely lead to CPU heating problems even in at idle. More importantly, you should not ever run fixed voltages on a Ryzen CPU; run it either on AUTO or with an offset. Frequently a slight negative offset returns improved performance on 5000 series CPU's while also controlling temperature, similar to how you can tweak performance of modern GPU's.

But even if not fixed don't confuse temp spikes when it boosts with steady 60C. Ryzen boosts frequently and it can spike temp when it does so you have to use a monitor program with an averaging readout, like HWInfo64.

In short: Ryzen (especially 3rd and 4th gen) works vastly different from any Intel processor. But it's also true that newer Intel processors are vastly different temp-wise from old ones like that 2600 you're remembering. So you have to relearn what 'normal' is!
I put the processor on manual mode, 1.3025 volts around there, and I think I am running a fixed voltage since it is always at 1.3 volts. At the moment it's at 57 degrees when I'm not really doing much. I've heard of an adaptive mode, I'm using the B550m ASUS ROG STRIX. Any clue on how to not max it run on 1.3 volts constant?

I put the processor on manual mode, 1.3025 volts around there, and I think I am running a fixed voltage since it is always at 1.3 volts. At the moment it's at 57 degrees when I'm not really doing much. I've heard of an adaptive mode, I'm using the B550m ASUS ROG STRIX. Any clue on how to not max it run on 1.3 volts constant?
I've no idea what's meant by 'adaptive mode'.

I've no idea how to let voltage fluctuate but to a max of 1.3V. The best thing is to run it in AUTO, as it's designed to do. In auto it actually spends most of it's idle time in a C6 'halt' sleep state, with .60V or less. You just can't tell since cores can't report when it's in C6 since it would come out of it to do the reporting. It's the way it's designed to work.

soak

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
I've no idea what's meant by 'adaptive mode'.

I've no idea how to let voltage fluctuate but to a max of 1.3V. The best thing is to run it in AUTO, as it's designed to do. In auto it actually spends most of it's idle time in a C6 'halt' sleep state, with .60V or less. You just can't tell since cores can't report when it's in C6 since it would come out of it to do the reporting. It's the way it's designed to work.
Alright. Set it to auto, idle is high on this beast. 50-60. Bothers me using default cooler, the one that came with the cpu. Should I just let it ride, the stuff I do max will probably be in low 80's. Was playing Valorant using 30% of CPU hit around 79-80 temp, worth investing in a cooler for more head room?

soak

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

1.39v for the core seems to corroborate why you're getting 60 Deg C on idle. That's too high. Settings in BIOS? PBO enabled? What BIOS version are you currently on? Did you reinstall your OS after the platform migration?

It won't exactly fry at 80 Deg C, the question is how long can the processor keep up with that voltage, since heat isn't the only thing robbing the platform of performance, it's pushing too much power through them to degrade them(the silicon) over time.

Mind stating your specs like so:
CPU: Ryzen 5600x
Motherboard: ASUS b550-f
Ram: 3000 mhz crucical 16 gb
SSD/HDD: 500 gb m2 and 1tb ssd internal
GPU: gtx 1660 super
PSU: seasonic 550 gold
Chassis: nzxt h510 ( don't have the extra two fans installed, just the two that came with it.

for us? Did you recycle the PSU from your older build? Ambient room air temps? Case airflow?

Alright. Set it to auto, idle is high on this beast. 50-60. Bothers me using default cooler, the one that came with the cpu. Should I just let it ride, the stuff I do max will probably be in low 80's. Was playing Valorant using 30% of CPU hit around 79-80 temp, worth investing in a cooler for more head room?
70's-80's average die temp isn't going to be harmful since, like most modern CPU's, TJmax is 95C or so. But even so I'd definitely go for a better cooler...the CPU loves it and responds with better performance. It will also be a lot quieter if you choose well. As temperature increases the algorithm pulls voltage back as well as the maximum boost frequency. It may pull voltage back well under 1.3V, but ONLY if you leave the voltage settings in AUTO. Better cooling delays how soon it has to start pulling back on boost frequency because temperature is better controlled.

Also use a monitoring utility that reports average die temperatures...the most reliable one for Ryzen is HWInfo64. Avoid looking at the peak temps since that's not as relevant. Peak temps during a boost can easily be 60C or so even though average die temperature is still in 30's or 40's.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021
Asus motherboard might do some OC with default settings too, make sure precision boost overdrive is set to disable and also Asus Performance Enhancer to default.
You might also use VCore offset of -0,05 to -0,1v.
Being that said I have similar concerns, and while the above will improve, it still gets hot :)

DSzymborski

Titan
I'd definitely go with Auto and a better cooler as well. Don't compare the idle temperatures to an old i7. The CPUs simply aren't designed to behave in the same manner. It takes some getting used to; I had to get over my initial annoyance that I didn't have 25 degree idles like my old 8700K. These chips want to eke out more performance where they have thermal headroom available.