Question Ryzen 5600x - won't boot if RAM speed is set above 3000 Mhz

brian.rude

Reputable
Sep 22, 2018
I recently learned that Ryzen builds will sometimes (always?) set RAM down to a lower default speed, so I went into BIOS and checked: sure enough, it was not even close to my RAM's 3200 MHz. (I forget the exact numbers, but it was in the lower-to-mid 2000s.)

I adjusted it up to 3200 MHz and my PC wouldn't boot into Windows and just kept resetting. After trying out different settings, I finally found that I could run it at 3000 MHz maximum. It's been running without issues for a few weeks now, and the performance is definitely improved from the default settings, but I'd ideally like to have my RAM at 3200 MHz.

My build can be found here

cpu-z-01.png

brian.rude

Reputable
Sep 22, 2018
That looks correct. I couldn’t see, is the RAM installed in slots A2 & B2?

That's right, the second and fourth slots. I actually double-checked before making my original post, because I didn't want it to turn out to be something as simple as that, haha.

If everything else looks correct as well, do you think it could be a bad piece of hardware (MB, RAM, etc.) or something else?

brian.rude

Reputable
Sep 22, 2018
Update: Wondering if it was the RAM's fault, I just bought some new RAM. Still 2x16 DDR4, but they're 3600mhz instead of 3200mhz (both are CL16).

The results are strange. Before, the PC would not boot if I tried to have the 3200mhz run faster than 3000mhz. Now, the PC won't boot if I have the 3600mhz run faster than 3200mhz.

So whatever is causing the issue - MB, CPU, I don't know - CAN run at 3200mhz, it just won't let any RAM run at full speed.

Does this help anyone narrow down the cause? Do I need a new MB? This is baffling.