[SOLVED] Ryzen 5800x idle temp eventually becomes hot, until restarting

Nov 15, 2021
Hello everyone! I noticed something recently on my system that's got me scratching my head. Here are my specs:
Ryzen 5800x, Corsair H150i Elite Capellix AIO (360mm, exhaust), BeQuiet! Dark Base 700 case.

My system usually idles at 46c with occasional spikes to 56c - 58c (which I've read is common and normal for 5000 series, and it's also the same for my 3950x system).
However, sometimes, after my PC has been on for a couple hours, or maybe half a day, I noticed my PC idles at 69 to 71c - noticeably warmer.
But once I restart, it idles back to mid 50s. I checked both Ryzen Master and Corsair's iCue and both readings are about the same (+/- a few degrees).

I'm not sure if this is normal, or if this is anything to be concerned about, or how to fix this. Usually my 3950x build hits 70 - 73 if I'm running full load.
But I'm not quite sure why my 5800x would do that with not a whole lot running. But repeatedly, once I restart, everything is back to normal.

I look forward to hearing your feedback!

Thank you!

Last edited:
Solution
UPDATE: NEW FINDINGS!

I checked task manager and noticed Windows Media Player was high power usage. I closed it, and my temperature readings IMMEDIATELY dropped from 74c allllll the way back down to 47c - 50c! (my regular idle temps)

I suspect WMP might be the culprit.

Hmm, let me share my specs:
WMP Version: 12.0.19041.1320
Windows 10 Version: 21H1
OS Build: 19043.1348

hmmm!

Colif

Win 11 Master
that seems too warm for a 360mm AIO. what fan plan are you running in Icue?

My H100i defaults to quiet plan but you might want to use balanced or set up a custom one. Quiet runs fans slower but lets CPU get hotter in process.
I only have a 3600XT but your idle temps at start are similar to mine (occasional? its all the time) but I never get anywhere near 70 at idle. thats only under load.

what GPU are you running? With aio as exhaust its sucking in all the exhausted air from the GPU as well, so there is that aspect. If you play games all day, the heat has to go somewhere. My AIO is intake on front of case.

Nov 15, 2021
that seems too warm for a 360mm AIO. what fan plan are you running in Icue?

My H100i defaults to quiet plan but you might want to use balanced or set up a custom one. Quiet runs fans slower but lets CPU get hotter in process.
I only have a 3600XT but your idle temps at start are similar to mine (occasional? its all the time) but I never get anywhere near 70 at idle. thats only under load.

what GPU are you running? With aio as exhaust its sucking in all the exhausted air from the GPU as well, so there is that aspect. If you play games all day, the heat has to go somewhere. My AIO is intake on front of case.

Thanks for the confirmation on the temps, Colif!! Glad my idles are about right.

I tried Balanced but now I'm using a custom fan curve, so it spins up a little sooner (noise has been acceptable).

I'm actually running a Quadro P4000; and the reading off of that is about ~50 idle to 60c under load. (the fan is puny)
You're right, it is sucking all the warm GPU air as well. I don't play games on this machine.

Earlier today I tested something else - even just by logging off (Win10's "Sign Out") and signing in again, that also fixes it and I go back to regular idle temps again. So it doesn't necessarily have to be a full computer restart.

Colif

Win 11 Master
that doesn't sound right, logging out of windows without turning PC off shouldn't change temps that dramatically. It shouldn't make any difference. Icue doesn't run when PC logged out. So I don't know how windows controls pump or fans before you logon, its likely bios controlled.

You might want to look at the curve as I would expect 3 x 120mm to keep it cooler. Fans should rev up to keep cpu at a reasonable level.

What sensor is it tied to? in custom you can choose what you make it adjust temps based on. I think its default is the unit itself, meaning liquid temps. But i have other choices like the other sensors on mb or Package temp or even my ram (since its corsair). Liquid makes most sense.

I rarely hear my fans, I set them to zero rpm once to see if I can hear any difference and I couldn't So they aren't very loud unless I swap to balanced and they suddenly want CPU to be below 30c or something. Extreme would be even sillier.

Could be a need quieter exhaust fans if anything.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021
Exactly - hence why I've been scratching my head. If I'm just logging off, or even a quick restart, it shouldn't be that different.

Right now I have a custom curve that should make the fans spin up to 50% when the coolant temp hits 40c. As of typing this message, my coolant temp is sitting at 39c.

My 70c reading is package temp - if I open up Armoury Crate, it shows my Core Temp at 60c.

I just did another quick test (since the reading was at 70c again), I put all my fans to Extreme, pump to Extreme, and I left it running for 10 minutes and it made no difference to the temperatures.

Question: the two cables on the AIO (in and out, cold + warm?) are pretty close together, in some areas, touching each other. Would this have an affect or impact?

What else should I try?

Nov 15, 2021
UPDATE: NEW FINDINGS!

I checked task manager and noticed Windows Media Player was high power usage. I closed it, and my temperature readings IMMEDIATELY dropped from 74c allllll the way back down to 47c - 50c! (my regular idle temps)

I suspect WMP might be the culprit.

Hmm, let me share my specs:
WMP Version: 12.0.19041.1320
Windows 10 Version: 21H1
OS Build: 19043.1348

hmmm!

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
why are you running windows media player?

I hadn't thought of applications, I thought it was a setting in icue

guess I don't need this screenshot now
FugihDt.jpg

I thought it might be sensor it tracks but then extreme doesn't let you change that.

media player shouldn't run on its own.

Nov 15, 2021
I use WMP to play musics - I usually leave it running. I'm suspecting that might be the reason whenever I log off or restart, the temps are back to normal because WMP closes at that time.

If WMP is that horrible, then I definitely should use an alternative software for music. Never would've expected WMP to cause CPU temps to go nuts.

Thanks for the screenshot anyways :)

I'm going to stop using WMP in the meantime and continue monitoring the temps. (so far so good)

While I'm at it, what media player do people recommend? One that doesn't kill CPU temps.... :LOL:

Nov 15, 2021
Thank you, Colif!! I'll try out Foobar2000. Excellent!

I'm leaning towards closing this issue - if I run into further issues I'll report back. But this is tremendous. Never would've guessed WMP.

Thank you so much for your time and help! Greatly appreciated! 🙌🙌