[SOLVED] Ryzen 5800x won’t stay at over clocked frequency when gaming !help!

evan333

Reputable
Dec 4, 2018
With Ryzen master and by bios overclock I am trying to set my overclock to 4.7 GHz LOCKED but the clock speed will not stay locked. I’m trying to lock up the clock speed for gaming. Does anyone know how to lock the frequency?

Solution
Mean machine here are my systems specs.
GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS Pro Wi-Fi
Patriot Viper 4 Blackout Series DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 4400MHz Kit
ID-COOLING ZOOMFLOW 240X Snow CPU Water Coole

It's a huge ask of the CPUs IMC to run at 4400Mhz when official support is up to 3200MHz. Better performance gains would be had with a lower frequency say at 3200MHz CL14 than 4400Mhz and no guarantee you will get the rated frequency even with very loose timings say at CL18-26-26-46
Your RAM kit are not listed on the MB QVL so they are not tested. You will have issues.

OC RAM are not simple Plug and Play and I doubt there would be an XMP or D.O.C.P profile for simple Overclocking at 4400MHz. The MB may be capable to support 4400Mhz...
With Ryzen master and by bios overclock I am trying to set my overclock to 4.7 GHz LOCKED but the clock speed will not stay locked. I’m trying to lock up the clock speed for gaming. Does anyone know how to lock the frequency?

Do not use Ryzen Master to Overclock and at the same time attempt to make changes in Bios. You may corrupt your Bios.
Only Overclock using your Bios.
Before you Overclock ensure your system is stable at stock using a stress tester that puts load on CPU,RAM, GPU and drives. For an all core Overclock to 4.7GHz you will need a decent AIO 120mm dual rad cooler( if it will fit your case).
To find your MAX target OC you should use the multiplier in 2-300MHz jumps and stress testing at each level of OC.

evan333

Reputable
Dec 4, 2018
Yes I have performed the overclock in bios as well with no success. Sure it works great on cinbench with no stability issues at all I can run 3 passes back to back and does time spy with no issues at all. Score of 2690s. Under full load it will pull 4.7ghz. I am try to lock 4.7ghz to get maximum performance while gaming. On my i7 10700k I had to issues at all. I am using a 240mm aio and max cinebench thermals are at 85 degrees. I am at 1.35v at 4.7ghz

Is there som kind of efficiency setting I am missing. I have PBO turned off and AMD cool and quite
I can't indicate better Bios settings without knowing the Motherboard.
Please list your full system specs including the MB for me to see what you can do with your Bios
Cinebench is more a test of the GPU and not a test for overall stability.
Achieve stability using AIDA64 stress tester at stock frequency.
Leave PBO and Cool and Quiet and any C-states off during Overclocking.
There are certain voltage efficiency settings via LLC that can help with an Overclock.

Unless you got a especially good chip asking the 5800x to run all cores at the boost frequency 24/7 is a bit much...something like 4.5 or 4.6 sounds more reasonable. Overclocking the 5800x and the 10700k have zero in common...there is no point in comparing how they overclock as the cpus and how they operate are as different as night and day.

evan333

Reputable
Dec 4, 2018
I never read it was a guarantee. My chip is stable at 4.7ghz from what I have Seen I will run AIDA to verify that. Mean machine here are my systems specs.

evan333

Reputable
Dec 4, 2018
The CPU down clocks with bios overclocking as well I have tried both as stated. It is very strange like the CPU is trying to be in cool and quite mode or like its just turbo clocking to 4.7ghz at times but while gaming it usually sits at 4ghz
I am starting to think there is a option in the bios or something in windows preventing the OC to stay locked

evan333

Reputable
Dec 4, 2018
I have it set to High performance. I noticed other overclockers with AMD specific power plans but for what ever reason I can not enable them even with the most up to date drivers. Is there a trick to that? I defiantly can get the OC you mentioned and have tried that as well my problem is when gaming the cpu sits at 3.8 and at times spikes to 4.7ghz . I want to get the OC ghz locked. Starting to think its not possible.

Mean machine here are my systems specs.

It's a huge ask of the CPUs IMC to run at 4400Mhz when official support is up to 3200MHz. Better performance gains would be had with a lower frequency say at 3200MHz CL14 than 4400Mhz and no guarantee you will get the rated frequency even with very loose timings say at CL18-26-26-46
Your RAM kit are not listed on the MB QVL so they are not tested. You will have issues.

OC RAM are not simple Plug and Play and I doubt there would be an XMP or D.O.C.P profile for simple Overclocking at 4400MHz. The MB may be capable to support 4400Mhz but it will be the IMC that will determine the highest frequency you will get.

I have reviewed your Bios manual and unfortunately cannot determine it's full capability without seeing the sub menu structurers. Maybe you could link some Bios pics that will help show what's available.

Reactions: evan333
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I am try to lock 4.7ghz to get maximum performance while gaming.

That's your problem, in a nutshell. Ryzen are Not Intel. They don't work the same way. Intel will OC and ignore the consequences. Ryzen cares about the consequences. It boosts according to temps and voltages. Set PBO 3 and let it do its thing. You'll get your 4.7GHz on the cores being used, without wasting voltage and heat on unused cores. Use Ryzen Master to add 200MHz to the boost.

Locking all the cores on a Ryzen isn't going to get you maximum performance, it'll get you an overheating cpu running VRM's at high amperages and a cpu at high voltages. Which forces the Ryzen to downclock. I'td rather save its skin than allow you to kill it or the motherboard in the process.

You can live without the few fps difference you can't see in the first place.

evan333

Reputable
Dec 4, 2018
Thank you everybody for your input!!!
I really do appreciate the community of us nerds 👍🤓💪

Problem is FIXED I was overclocking in BIOs and monitoring in Ryzen master somwhere along the line Ryzen master was overwriting the bios OC. Deleted Ryzen master and did all OCing in bios. Went with 3800mhz ram due to overall performance was better the. Xmp 4400. Lots of memory timing tuning definitely helped. See results in the images

evan333

Reputable
Dec 4, 2018

OC RAM are not simple Plug and Play and I doubt there would be an XMP or D.O.C.P profile for simple Overclocking at 4400MHz. The MB may be capable to support 4400Mhz but it will be the IMC that will determine the highest frequency you will get.

I have reviewed your Bios manual and unfortunately cannot determine it's full capability without seeing the sub menu structurers. Maybe you could link some Bios pics that will help show what's available.
Thanks mean machine your right. Loose timing are the only way to run 4400. I found it’s best to lower the ram speed and tighten the timing up.

Feb 9, 2021
Thank you everybody for your input!!!
I really do appreciate the community of us nerds 👍🤓💪

Problem is FIXED I was overclocking in BIOs and monitoring in Ryzen master somwhere along the line Ryzen master was overwriting the bios OC. Deleted Ryzen master and did all OCing in bios. Went with 3800mhz ram due to overall performance was better the. Xmp 4400. Lots of memory timing tuning definitely helped. See results in the images

HI , I have exactly the same issue , and already removed RYZEN MASTER but that didn't solve it
My system has a 3600XT on a B450 MSI mobo with latest Agesa 1.2.0.0 Bios
and the sysytem is 100% Stable via a BIOS OC at 4450Mhz all core on 1.25V CPU fixed (override mode)
BUT when I start any 3D game (like fortnite or COD) it's like the pc goes back to stock settings 3.6-4.35 Mhz very strange
I alredy turned off Game mode and Windows is set to High Performance powerplan.....

evan333

Reputable
Dec 4, 2018
HI , I have exactly the same issue , and already removed RYZEN MASTER but that didn't solve it
My system has a 3600XT on a B450 MSI mobo with latest Agesa 1.2.0.0 Bios
and the sysytem is 100% Stable via a BIOS OC at 4450Mhz all core on 1.25V CPU fixed (override mode)
BUT when I start any 3D game (like fortnite or COD) it's like the pc goes back to stock settings 3.6-4.35 Mhz very strange
I alredy turned off Game mode and Windows is set to High Performance powerplan.....

Hey fellow over clocker. I had the same issue you are describing as well on one of my older builds. What I found is when you use a MSI Mobo and have there software installed it causes the games to lower the CPU frequency. I believe in the MSI dragon software it’s also called game mode. TURN THAT MODE OFF OR UNINSTALL MSI DRAGON SOFTWARE. Hope this helps you. Best of luck.

Feb 9, 2021
Hey fellow over clocker. I had the same issue you are describing as well on one of my older builds. What I found is when you use a MSI Mobo and have there software installed it causes the games to lower the CPU frequency. I believe in the MSI dragon software it’s also called game mode. TURN THAT MODE OFF OR UNINSTALL MSI DRAGON SOFTWARE. Hope this helps you. Best of luck.
Thanks mate !!!
Disabling the game mode in Dragon Center did it :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzens boost according to temps. Are you adjusting the cores to a permanent 4.45GHz, or are you adjusting the max boost to 4.45GHz. Ryzens will boost as many cores as it can to max boost, If temps allow, but if they do not, the Ryzen will downclock itself to keep the lower temp. Intel OC is different, Intels will keep the boost as set, regardless of temp, until it hits throttle temps, and only then might downclock, or just shutoff. Ryzens will do everything they can to keep performance as high as it deems is safely possible, thermal shutdowns are very rare as a result.

Ryzens also protect the motherboard, if you try and over drive the VRM's on a cheap board, the cpu will back down to lower amperage draw through the VRM's. Meaning it's beneficial to boost limits to keep the VRM's cool as possible, not the easiest prospect with an AIO.