Question Ryzen 5800X3D bottleneck under CPU-intensive tasks ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcsverige

Reputable
Mar 15, 2021
I used bottleneck calculator today and I have a 0.4% bottleneck in GPU-intensive tasks at 2560x1440. But under CPU-intensive tasks I have a 21% bottleneck... It says my CPU isn't fast enough and that I should upgrade it despite it being the last of the line on the am4 platform. Can anyone help me to understand why it says this? I have noticed a significant improvement both in gaming, multi tasking, and so on, since upgrading from a 3600 to a 5800x3D so I don't understand how there would be a bottleneck let alone a noticeable one ?

Bottleneck calculation

kanewolf

Titan
I used bottleneck calculator today and I have a 0.4% bottleneck in GPU intensive tasks at 2560x1440. But under CPU intensive tasks, I have a 21% bottleneck... It says my CPU isnt fast enough and that I should upgrade it despite it being the last of the line on the am4 platform. Can anyone help me to understand why it says this? I have noticed a significant improvement both in gaming, multi tasking, and so on, since upgrading from a 3600 to a 5800x3D so I dont understand how there would be a bottleneck let alone a noticeable bottleneck.

Bottleneck calculation
By definition, IMO, "processor intensive tasks" are EXPECTED to be CPU limited. But what this calculator compares your "bottleneck" against is the question.

As above, bottleneck calculators aren't worth a look. Dreadull comparisons.

Your chip happens to be one of the best gamer chips out there. And that's even with 7xxx series out.

In some CPU centric situations, could you get faster results with a newer CPU, yes, that's true. But for you its different. In gaming, the 5800x3d reigns well. That includes max FPSD/average FPS and 1% lows (which are an indication of how smooth your game is running.

I'd toss the BN calc in the bin, and just enjoy your gaming. You CPU will be relevant in gaming for quite a while.

Reactions: rcsverige
As above, "bottleneck calculators" are junk science and marketing gimmicks.
There is ALWAYS some sort of a limiting factor.
Usually cpu or gpu.
You did well by upgrading a 3600 to a 5800 class processor.
But the X3d version is good for only one thing... playing a game.
If you have other tasks to run, the base 5800 processor would be better.
Pick your poison.

Do you have a performance problem that needs to be addressed?

I used bottleneck calculator today and I have a 0.4% bottleneck in GPU intensive tasks at 2560x1440. But under CPU intensive tasks, I have a 21% bottleneck... It says my CPU isnt fast enough and that I should upgrade it despite it being the last of the line on the am4 platform. Can anyone help me to understand why it says this? I have noticed a significant improvement both in gaming, multi tasking, and so on, since upgrading from a 3600 to a 5800x3D so I dont understand how there would be a bottleneck let alone a noticeable bottleneck.

Bottleneck calculation
its talking bs if anything's the bottleneck it be the card lol

rcsverige

Reputable
Mar 15, 2021
As above, "bottleneck calculators" are junk science and marketing gimmicks.
There is ALWAYS some sort of a limiting factor.
Usually cpu or gpu.
You did well by upgrading a 3600 to a 5800 class processor.
But the X3d version is good for only one thing... playing a game.
If you have other tasks to run, the base 5800 processor would be better.
Pick your poison.

Do you have a performance problem that needs to be addressed?
No, no issues at all. Other than it being a hot cpu, which is the reason I did an undervolt with PBO2, everything works entirely fine. The main reason I got the CPU was for gaming. I use my PC for gaming and other stuff but nothing like rendering, video editing, and so on.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
The biggest problem with bottleneck calculators is they don't provide any real context as to what that number means.

You're 21% bottlenecked. Okay, compared to what? Some guy who managed to submit a bogomark score that's 21% better than yours but had to do LN2 cooling to get there? That's not a practical assessment.

In addition, bottlenecks cannot be part of the equation until you've done one thing: set performance requirements. If you don't have a baseline that says your computer needs to perform at some minimum value with some settings, then it's impossible to figure out what's the bottleneck in the system (because there's always a bottleneck in the system)

Status
Not open for further replies.