[SOLVED] Ryzen 5950 Clocks reaching 5.05Ghz in light workload..Edit Power plan?

Noobpunk

Prominent
Jan 11, 2022
Hey all

So I only have Steam open with 105 background processes running.

Utilisation 2-3%
Speed 4.5Ghz
Processes 220

Power mode: Best Performance
Preferred Plan: Balanced (Minimum Processor State 5%)

Why is it that I am reaching these high speeds for only having steam on? I noticed that If I changed my power plan to power saving then all the clocks would be in the 1700-1800 MHz during light loads.

EDIT: If I disable Core Performance Boost in the BIOS, would this help at all? Just to clarify I have done no overclocking whatsoever..

Can I get some advice here in regards to not having the speeds so high when my base speed is 3.40GHz

View: https://imgur.com/pNGLPVt

Last edited:
Solution
Hey all

Utilisation 2-3%
Speed 4.5Ghz
Processes 220

Why is it that I am reaching these high speeds for only having steam on? I noticed that If I changed my power plan to power saving then all the clocks would be in the 1700-1800 MHz during light loads.

EDIT: If I disable Core Performance Boost in the BIOS, would this help at all? Just to clarify I have done no overclocking whatsoever..

Can I get some advice here in regards to not having the speeds so high when my base speed is 3.40GHz

The...

Noobpunk

Prominent
Jan 11, 2022
test without steam on?
test in safe mode?
malware scan the system?
latest motherboard bios?

Without Steam it is also like this
Kaspersky has not detected malware too.
Checked for the latest bios through Armoury Crate and I am up to date!
In safe mode, the speed is at its base - 3.40 GHz

Hey all

Utilisation 2-3%
Speed 4.5Ghz
Processes 220

The boost algorithm controls boosting based on core temp and available power. It only boosts that high when it has sufficient margin for both which is really only available with light processing loads. In heavier processing, such as for rendering a videos, it will limit clocks considerably...probably to around the stock rated boost clock speed (4.9G).

Changing the Power Mode or Power Plan doesn't affect the base clock speed. It does change what seems to be the idle clock speed when the core isn't processing a load and before it drops into C6 sleep. When it drops into C6 it turns clocks completely off, but you can't see that since it would wake it up to ask which defeats the purpose of C6. So it just reports that last clock it was at before dropping into C6.

The power mode (or power plan) also doesn't change the boost clock but it does seem to change how aggressively it boosts: on Best Energy Savings it boosts a lot less frequently than when in Best Performance on my 5800X.

So, if running with stock settings it doesn't really need 'fixing' since it's running as it should...maybe a bit better probably because it has highly effective CPU and case cooling. But if you want to limit how often it boosts just put it in Best Energy Savings mode with the Balanced plan and it will 'idle' at the lowest clock before dropping into C6 and as well limit it's boosting.

Last edited:
Solution

Noobpunk

Prominent
Jan 11, 2022
The boost algorithm controls boosting based on core temp and available power. It only boosts that high when it has sufficient margin for both which is really only available with light processing loads. In heavier processing, such as for rendering a videos, it will limit clocks considerably...probably to around the stock rated boost clock speed (4.9G).

Changing the Power Mode or Power Plan doesn't affect the base clock speed. It does change what seems to be the idle clock speed when the core isn't processing a load and before it drops into C6 sleep. When it drops into C6 it turns clocks completely off, but you can't see that since it would wake it up to ask which defeats the purpose of C6. So it just reports that last clock it was at before dropping into C6.

The power mode (or power plan) also doesn't change the boost clock but it does seem to change how aggressively it boosts: on Best Energy Savings it boosts a lot less frequently than when in Best Performance on my 5800X.

So, if running with stock settings it doesn't really need 'fixing' since it's running as it should...maybe a bit better probably because it has highly effective CPU and case cooling. But if you want to limit how often it boosts just put it in Best Energy Savings mode with the Balanced plan and it will 'idle' at the lowest clock before dropping into C6 and as well limit it's boosting.

So all I have changed is the preferred plan to being power saving.

Now all of my clocks are 1,720 MHz in idle. However in Warzone playing 2K 60FPS High resolution I am getting 1,830MHz.

Again, Is this safe? I cant believe I am seeing this level of clocks for warzone.

So all I have changed is the preferred plan to being power saving.

Now all of my clocks are 1,720 MHz in idle. However in Warzone playing 2K 60FPS High resolution I am getting 1,830MHz.

Again, Is this safe? I cant believe I am seeing this level of clocks for warzone.
Perfectly safe.

But also a waste of a great processor. It's hard to fathom someone spending upwards of $800 US on a 5Ghz processor to run it at 1.8Ghz...but if that's what floats your boat then sail on.

Reactions: drivinfast247

Noobpunk

Prominent
Jan 11, 2022
Perfectly safe.

But also a waste of a great processor. It's hard to fathom someone spending upwards of $800 US on a 5Ghz processor to run it at 1.8Ghz...but if that's what floats your boat then sail on.

Ok thank you!

I understand but I am just learning everything as I go along..

One question if you dont mind,

I just checked HWInfo and it showed my virtual memory load maximum showing 97.8% in red. Is this a sign for something is wrong?

Noobpunk

Prominent
Jan 11, 2022
It's a sign something's using a lot of memory, not really something wrong unless you're not running anything at the time. How much physical memory does your system have?

Hmm ok thanks,

Do you think this could be high because of what we discussed? Changing the power plan to power saving and thus making the CPU clocks not so aggressive?

Hmm ok thanks,

Do you think this could be high because of what we discussed? Changing the power plan to power saving and thus making the CPU clocks not so aggressive?
Not likely.

But then it's not really easy to find out all the changes that happen to the OS operation when you change some of the bundled power plan changes. It's not something they spend much time documenting for us to know. We're most often left making changes and then deducing the full effect by watching system behaviors.

Last edited:

Noobpunk

Prominent
Jan 11, 2022
Not likely.

But then it's not really easy to find out all the changes that happen to the OS operation when you change some of the bundled power plan changes. It's not something they spend much time documenting for us to know. We're most often left making changes and then backing into knowledge of the full effect by watching system behaviors.

Hmmm ok, the next time it shows up that high...I will check through task manager what is using most of it.

I was only playing warzone at the time.

I was only playing warzone at the time.
That probably makes sense then. A game will make maximum use of resources, even memory. Playing at high resolutions (4K?) may make it worse. If it stays heavily used like that it may be desireable to add memory since you don't want it to resort to using the swapfile as that will slow it down considerably.

How much memory do you have? A modern gaming system should have 16GB but the gaming enthusiasts seem to think 32GB may be needed when running with multiple monitors or 4K.

Noobpunk

Prominent
Jan 11, 2022
That probably makes sense then. A game will make maximum use of resources, even memory. Playing at high resolutions (4K?) may make it worse. If it stays heavily used like that it may be desireable to add memory since you don't want it to resort to using the swapfile as that will slow it down considerably.

How much memory do you have? A modern gaming system should have 16GB but the gaming enthusiasts seem to think 32GB may be needed when running with multiple monitors or 4K.

I actually have 32gb memory!

View: https://imgur.com/rTq5LB2

32GB should be good enough...

The 97% virtual memory load is a 'maximum' value, which means at some point the system was in an extraordinary state and so not normal. Memory in particular makes frequent transitions as things are happening so it's not unlikely to see that. I'd only be watching current values for a dynamic view of what it's doing in real time. But even more important is the average value. Check the average across a period of use-age after resetting the clock so you know what's happening during that time.