Question Ryzen 7 1700X Crashing - Event ID 35 "Performance power management...firmware problem"

May 11, 2021
During a recent gaming session my pc hard crashed to a black screen, and after checking event logs I noticed the following errors:
Event 35 Kernel-Processor-Power (Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power)
"Performance power management features on processor 0 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware."
This error is duplicated for each of the 16 processor threads. My system has had the same stable OC for the last 4 years without any issues, and I've never seen these errors before.
I updated my BIOS to 5.50, and removed all my OC settings and set everything back to standard default settings (including lowering voltage), did a clean install of windows 10, and cleared out old error logs, but the same errors popped back up after reboot.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System:

CPU: R7 1800X @ 3.9 GHz

MB: ASRock AB350M Pro4 Socket (BIOS v. 5.50)

RAM: 32 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Dual Channel Memory Kit 1.35V (F4-3200C16D-32GVK)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (GP104) @ 139 MHz

PSU: EVGA Super NOVA 650 G3 80 Plus Gold 650W

AMD AGESA: 1.0.0.6

Info:
Windows Power Management setting set to 'Ultimate Performance' Ryzen Balanced
Latest Chipset drivers installed from AMD website

Voltages:
CPU: 1.28125V

RAM: 1.350v

CPU-Z Validation Link (2021): https://valid.x86.fr/k6z85v
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've read in other threads a possible fix was to Disable Quiet and cool in the BIOS, but that feature option was removed in the current version of the BIOS I have. I also saw this may be related to a PSU issue. My temps running Prime95 small FFT for a few hours are in the mid to high 60 degree range, and usually in the mid 30 to mid 40 degree range when gaming.

Any advice is welcome, thanks!

Last edited:
It might be time for a new CPU since you have run an OC for four years on a relatively new CPU architecture in which nobody really knows how they will hold up under such long term stress...it might be that you're finding out that four years is about it.

The fact that the error continues after re-installing Windows and a BIOS update points to the CPU.

I did extensive testing when I chose my OC settings, and I've had it running on those settings for 4 years. All my temps are within normal range as well, so it's puzzling.
1.28V for a first gen is pretty low voltage even for only 3.9G, you might try raising to 1.35V or so just to see if this problem goes away. If it does then lower it until you find it's new stable point. IIRC first gen is considered safe for up to 1.425V with temp under 70C, around 1.38 with temps in the upper 80's.

I can understand it's desireable to keep a low-leakage 1700X or 1800X as un-degraded as possible with low volts but you also have to realize that degradation due to electromigration is unavoidable any time it's powered on and it only accelerates with higher core current and temperatures. So even if it was once stable at such low volts it's inevitable it will degrade and need greater voltage to hold a fixed OC.

I've been running a 1700 at 3.9G for a few years too, but it needs quite a bit higher voltage to do it. Even if your you CPU ends up being a bit degraded and need higher voltage it's hardly 'dead'. Just give it the volts it needs to be stable and truck on. You've got a lot of margin before it starts turning into a 1700 LOL

Last edited:

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
Same here with a new build Ryzen 5 3600 Asus b450-F-II MOBO all 12 cores report Event Error 35 (2) power management firmware problem and my temps never go above 45 C I have the latest BIOS update 6/2021 so it is NOT a BIOS deal and there is no 'cool-n-quiet' setting in BIOS like the old M5A99FX had.

Same here with a new build Ryzen 5 3600 Asus b450-F-II MOBO all 12 cores report Event Error 35 (2) power management firmware problem and my temps never go above 45 C I have the latest BIOS update 6/2021 so it is NOT a BIOS deal and there is no 'cool-n-quiet' setting in BIOS like the old M5A99FX had.
Zen 2 (3600) on B450 is a completely different scenario from Zen 1 (1800X) on B350. You should open a new thread with your problem.

But....being on 'latest BIOS' may not be best since the latest B450 BIOS is probably intended for a Zen 3 (5000 series) CPU. Short of reverting BIOS to the last Zen 2 BIOS, make sure chipset drivers are up to date and reset CMOS to see if problems persist.

Cool-n-Quiet is a deprecated feature, it's common to find it removed in most Zen 3 BIOS' as a setting as it's unnecessary.

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
The 'latest BIOS' was recommended by Asus no matter the series as it encompasses all for that board. It is not a chipset issue either amigo. All those were updated on the initial setup.