Question Ryzen 7 2700 and ryzen 5 3600x won't boot

Sep 27, 2023
I was trying to swap my ryzen 7 for the 5 and now I am unable to get to boot into even bois.. when I press the power button it will spin up and shut down, and after a second it will spin back to life like it's going to give me hdmi. I have tried resetting cmos. Unplugging all the cables and just plugging in monitors one by one. I have also taken all of my ram out.. I do understand now that I will probably need to update the bois when I can load into it but I have been unable to since I have started this project..

Motherboard is a Asus x470
Graphics card is EVGA 2060- I have noticed that the fans will stop spinning at times, but I don't think this has to do with the boot issue

Sep 27, 2023
It was the ryzen 7, and I figured that would be the fix as well. No luck. It just will not output anything but all the lights and fans would indicate nothing is wrong.

Hotrod2go

Prominent
Jun 12, 2023
It was the ryzen 7, and I figured that would be the fix as well. No luck. It just will not output anything but all the lights and fans would indicate nothing is wrong.
Double check the connections on the board, reseat the gpu & the ram, swap display connectors with known working ones... etc.. leave no stone unturned. Does the board have boot up leds?

Sep 27, 2023
I have looked in the manual to the board and have tried looking it up and I have seen nothing.. I tried reseating the ram and GPU but I'm going to end up doing a full teardown after work to see if I can get any life I got the ryzen 5 to boot in another motherboard so I believe that might be the problem.

Reactions: Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go

Prominent
Jun 12, 2023
I have looked in the manual to the board and have tried looking it up and I have seen nothing.. I tried reseating the ram and GPU but I'm going to end up doing a full teardown after work to see if I can get any life I got the ryzen 5 to boot in another motherboard so I believe that might be the problem.
You should check the compatibility list for your motherboard just to be sure both the Ryzen 5 & 7 you have are ok with the bios version for that board.

Sep 27, 2023
Well I know that the bois version is not compatible but I didn't know that until I had done the swap, and with either CPU at this point it will not post or anything. The fans will spin and rgb will work but it just doesn't boot. I have the original ryzen 7 in it right now which is the 2700 but the ryzen 5 is a 3600x

Hotrod2go

Prominent
Jun 12, 2023
Ok, based on that information, I'm leaning towards a board failure. It is very rare for a cpu to fail, however I would not rule out anything yet. You said earlier the Ryzen 5 booted in another board, does the Ryzen 7 also boot in that board?

sonofjesse

Distinguished
I'm thinking you bent the MB socket? If it was working with the old CPU, and you put that CPU back in it should work 100% no issues. Not much of a chance of the MB just failing randmoly, it seems to only occur after you was working on it. I suspect you damanged it in some manner.

If you have friend who can come and help I highly recommend it.

Reactions: Hotrod2go