Question Ryzen 7 3700x high temp with Noctua NH D15s

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
Hello. I have a temp issue with my R7 3700x high temp underload and idle with Noctua NH D15s. idle is above 45C, and underload like running Aida64 default selected option stress test cause the temp is go above 85C on HWinfo64. Even playing PlanetSide 2 cause the CPU temp to 77C and slowly reaching to 80C. I did reapply thermal paste with 3 dots and check the mounting, and it seems fine to me. Ryzen Balance Power Plan selected.

ROG Strix X470F
R7 3700x
2x16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz RGB
Corsair 750D with 2x 140mm fans intake front and 1x 140mm exhaust back
Ambient is 30C

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
What are you using to measure VCore? get HWInfo 64, latest, and look at SVI2 TFN voltage after adjust the sample frequency to 500mS. Is that voltage steady 1.5 V under load? if it is you've mal-adjusted something along the way: it should only boost to upwards of 1.5 V in light bursty load situations, dropping back down to 1.2 or less when no bursting load requires it. Under sustained heavy loads voltage should be much lower...dropping below 1.4V to the low 1.3 Volt range.

HWInfo64 v6.12-3930
Latest Aida64
During Aida64 test with default, temp will shoot up 88C - 90C in less than 10 minutes then back down to 70C - 80C. Voltage is 1.4V to 1.5V, and sometimes go down 1.2V for few seconds then go back 1.3V to 1.4V. to 1.5V . This is only when all cores are 100% usage

None 100% usage will be 1.4V to 1.5V and sometimes go down 1.35V and below for few seconds then go back to 1.4V to 1.5V but the temp is not normal like 70C max while surfing then go back down to 45C - 55C and some occasionally 60C.

Gaming temp is 70C - 80C with 1.4V to 1.5V more than 1.3V and below since none of my games and apps are pushing 3700x cores to 100%

After offset voltage negative .75, temp seems to be normal and reasonable for air cooling. I don't see multi core performance loss in Cinebench R20. No more 70C max while surfing, and no more 75C while running Cinebench R20, and no more 70C to 80C while gaming. I will continue and observe these temps with more games testing. So far I only test 2 games and not seeing temp go above 75C while gaming. I will continue observe this.

Right now I can say either my board is over-volt the CPU or this is what Ryzen CPU " normal" voltage suppose to be, but 1.4V to 1.5V is absurd for 4.4Ghz boosting like Jesus Christ.

In short: if as you say "Heavy load, underload, and full load are the same." then you've set it up wrong. In which case it would not be the processor's fault, but yours.

Please tell me what I did wrong?

Last edited:
Please tell me what I did wrong?
Temps running upwards of 90C in AIDA64 is not impossible since it uses AVX instructions. In general, high temps in power virus stress applications (prime95, Aida) is PERFECTLY normal since they all use AVX instructions. Even Cinebench20 and Handbrake encoding since they also use AVX.

Hard to say why idling temps are going up to 70C for you... possibly heatsink unevenly installed/clamping on CPU or fans obstructed. And also a big air cooler really needs a case with good airflow and that means good intake/exhaust fans. Probably the best thing about liquid cooling is it's often very forgiving of poor case airflow. At least in regards to CPU temperatures... GPU temps are another matter!

Lowering voltage like that might lower temperatures but it also severely gimps the processor's boost clocks and therefore performance. You need to find what's wrong with heatsink install, IMO. But since all that's been covered a lot here, it might might be you simply need to take it to a pro and let him look at it. You seem confident 'everythings great' but yet it still getting hot at idle, times like this frequently need another set of eyes and hands-on to find what you're missing.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
Temps running upwards of 90C in AIDA64 is not impossible since it uses AVX instructions. In general, high temps in power virus stress applications (prime95, Aida) is PERFECTLY normal since they all use AVX instructions. Even Cinebench20 and Handbrake encoding since they also use AVX.

Cinebench and Handbrake are not stress testing software. Cinebench is a benchmark software hence the name. Handbrake is just a regular encoding app. If my temp are no good in these two apps than there is something wrong.

Hard to say why idling temps are going up to 70C for you... possibly heatsink unevenly installed/clamping on CPU or fans obstructed. And also a big air cooler really needs a case with good airflow and that means good intake/exhaust fans. Probably the best thing about liquid cooling is it's often very forgiving of poor case airflow. At least in regards to CPU temperatures... GPU temps are another matter!

I already reseat the cooler multiple times, and I cannot find what the hell is wrong? I check the mounting kit, and no wobble or wiggle at all. All screws are 100% lock in tight. Cooler heatsink no wobble or wiggle at all.

Idle temp is not up to 70C. I say web surfing temp is going up to 70C. Gaming temp max is creeping close to 80C. I have issue with load temp where the temp is no good for my air cooler. I don't know what to do now beside gambling on Corsair H115 280mm AIO from Amazon to bring the heat down, I hope. Ambient is 25C - 26C. FL is hot as heck over here in the summer.

I don't know what to do, and I don't know anymore. My PC crash in Aida64 when I try offset voltage negative like .7 to .8

Last edited:

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
I hope that actually means only a .07V - .08V.... :)

Yes. Negative offset don't work on my 3700x. I tried -.04 and it still crash on Aida64.

In addition, my system crash on 3700x stock on Aida64. Is this CPU defective? Only RAM xmp enable.

Regarding to the ram, I have 4x8GB DDR4 3200MHz RGB, and the ram is this one below. I bought two kits which total 4 sticks.
https://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Viper-Gaming-DDR4-3200MHz/dp/B07CX2X83Y/ref=sr_1_8?crid=18Z90MJYJC2O7&keywords=patriot+16gb+ddr4+3200mhz&qid=1570801106&sprefix=patriot+16gb,aps,100&sr=8-8

phamine

Prominent
Mar 11, 2019
Did you ever solve your issue?
RMA the chip possibly?

Noctua NH-D15s
R7 3700x
Asus ROG Strix Gaming X470
BIOS 5406

Idles 35c @ 22c ambient

Load:
Running Cinebench 20
CPU - 65c
Single Core - 60c

Playing Dead By Daylight
50c

Looks like these chips run hotter than Gen2 at idle.
I had a 2700x that idled 28c @ 22c ambient.

Reactions: DMAN999