Question Ryzen 7 3700x is underperforming giving me lower fps in MW2 and Battlefield 2042

Nov 4, 2022
I bought a prebuild Lenovo Legion T5 with a RTX 3060ti, Ryzen 7 3700x, 16 gb 3200 mhz ram and 1 tb ssd. I play 1440p.
I bought it prebuild two years ago since GPU prices were too expensive.

When I play MW2 my fps goes between 90-125, but the average fps is about 100-105. When I play ground war I achieve approx. 90 fps in average.
I've seen people with worse setup than mine achieving the same fps as I do.

I see on Youtube videos that people with the same setup as me are getting about 120-125 fps in average, when playing 1440p and an average of 160 fps when playing 1080p.
When I play 1440p or 1080p my fps stays exactly the same. I even tried to put the resolution at about 480p and I was still getting the same FPS as I did when playing 1440p. Hence, the problem is my CPU.
On Battlefield 2042 I also struggle hitting higher fps. In Battlefield 2042 I average ONLY 55 fps when playing 128p conquest.
I know that my 8-core 3700x isnt new anymore but it should be more than enough to get higher frames in MW2 and Battlefield.

I did a 3DMARK test and got a Time Spy Score of 10626. Graphics score was 11293 and CPU score was only 7963. I've seen that people with the same CPU as me are getting about 9500-11000 CPU score. So again something is wrong with my 3700x.
I've tried a lot of things but nothing is increasing the fps. My GPU usage is around 70-80% and the CPU is always about 45-50%. When I look

Some things I've tried:
  • Lowering/increasing graphics
  • Using dlss
  • Updated BIOS
  • Updated chipset
  • Put MW2 as high priority.
  • Tried OC
  • Changed to 8 cores in MW Config file
  • Changed powerplan to high performance (didnt change anything compared to balanced?)
I've also tried some other things which I cant remember.
My ram doesnt have XMP option but it is running 3200mhz, which I saw in CPU-Z.
In Task Manager I see my CPU boosting to 4,1 Ghz.

I dont expect my setup to give me +150 fps but a 3060Ti and R7 3700x should be more than enough to achieve 1440p 120 fps.
I feel like I have tried everything I see on YouTube and general when searching in Google. However, I havent come with anyt fix to my problem.

I really hope someone can help me out since I've been trying several days now without any improvement.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome tot he forums, newcomer!

Can you include your source to where you've seen people with worse setups achieve more?

Was the OS the same as it was out of the box, meaning did you ever have to reinstall the OS after your purchase? Have you tried using DDU to remove all remnants of GPU drivers, then manually reinstalling the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Nov 4, 2022
Welcome tot he forums, newcomer!

Can you include your source to where you've seen people with worse setups achieve more?

Was the OS the same as it was out of the box, meaning did you ever have to reinstall the OS after your purchase? Have you tried using DDU to remove all remnants of GPU drivers, then manually reinstalling the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Thank you very much for the welcome.

Here are some videos where they play with Ryzen 5 3600x and 2070 super and they get the same fps as I do:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuYqNSJgF-I&ab_channel=donali

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2JAZkbso2U&ab_channel=donali

This guy is playing with a 1660S and Ryzen 5 3600x getting over 100 fps (I know he is using upscaling method - But so do I when I play (DLSS):
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0QXsYNwQSM&ab_channel=sylux

I also have a friend that has a 2060 and Ryzen 7 2700x (mine is 3700x) and he is getting about 110 fps average.

However, I don't have any problems with the GPU. As I said it never goes over 75% usage. I get great fps in single player games, where the CPU isnt much in play.
In Battlefield 2042, there is a comment called perfoverlay. This command gives you information of how many fps your GPU and your CPU generates. My GPU generates about 120 fps, while the CPU generates about 50 fps.
So that gives me about 55 fps in BF2042, since the CPU cant keep up with the GPU.

But as said, 3DMARK is giving my 3700x a pretty low score (7800) compared to other 3700x (9500-11000).

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You are fighting an uphill battle, in the dark and expecting to get the same results as daylight battles downhill. It's not going to work that way. Comparisons are useless as Gospel, they only show what is 'possible' not what is 'probable'.

The only comparison that would make any sort of sense would be against other Lenovo Legion T5 owners with the same setup.

Other ppl are using different ISP, different ram, tweaked ram timings, pbo, different in-game settings, different temps, different cases, different voltages, Ryzen Master settings, Dram Calculator etc. All those extra variables mean that even with the same cpu/gpu, you'll stand just as much chance of getting better or same or worse performance.

Ppl are Averaging those scores. Average by its very definition means some ppl will get better scores, some will get worse scores.