[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 3700X Peak Speeds above 4100MHz

TheDurbinator

Honorable
Feb 16, 2015
I'm having trouble overclocking my 3700x past 4100MHz, even though it only hits around 75 degrees in cinebench.

Here is a screenshot of Ryzen Master during a Cinebench R23 run (it scored 12325), is there anything I can do to get a little more oomph out of it? I have already tried it with maxed out PPT, TDC and EDC, but they never go over the values I've entered in the pic. I have tried PBO and Auto OC in Ryzen Master and Auto OC seems to get the highest peak speed, albeit not by much.

Specs:
Asrock B450 Pro4
3700X CPU
BeQuiet Dark Rock 4 Cooler
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 8gb 3000Mhz XMP at 3200
2080Ti GPU
Corsair RM650 PSU

Solution
You can get it to stay higher than 4.2Ghz, maybe around 4.3-4.35 even, by enabling PBO AND getting better-than-stock cooling.
That's definitely "better-than-stock cooling".

I'm having trouble overclocking my 3700x past 4100MHz, even though it only hits around 75 degrees in cinebench.

Keep in mind too, in addition to everything else that's been said here, that part of the REASON you are only hitting 75°C is BECAUSE the hardware is keeping the boost slightly lower. As it stands, you are only about five degrees away from the maximum RECOMMENDED peak temperature, and the point at which plenty of reviews have demonstrably shown the CPU to automatically throttle back at. There are however...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Here is a screenshot of Ryzen Master during a Cinebench R23 run (it scored 12325), is there anything I can do to get a little more oomph out of it? I have already tried it with maxed out PPT, TDC and EDC, but they never go over the values I've entered in the pic. I have tried PBO and Auto OC in Ryzen Master and Auto OC seems to get the highest peak speed, albeit not by much.

Specs:
Asrock B450 Pro4
3700X CPU
2080Ti GPU
Corsair RM650 PSU
That looks about right.

MatisseAll Core SSE FrequencyAll Core AVX2 FrequencyDie Sense Vcore% Capable
3700XNot Tested4.05GHz1.237V100%
3700XNot Tested4.10GHz1.250VTop 74%
3700XNot Tested4.15GHz1.262VTop 21%

https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics

Specs:
Asrock B450 Pro4
3700X CPU
2080Ti GPU
Corsair RM650 PSU
PBO is strange as using peak values for PPT, TDC and EDC don't really perform as expected. But also, it's really important to understand Zen2 doesn't get it's best performance from it's highest boost clocks but it's average sustained clock in heavy processing loads.

So, first thing is to install the AMD chipset driver you got from the AMD support web site and run the Ryzen Balanced power plan unaltered. Then set up BIOS correct. Start by enabling all the following settings: cool n quiet, advanced c states, processor cppc and cppc preferred cores. Then put vcore voltage and processor frequency on AUTO.

NOW, get HWInfo64 and use it to monitor performance. Set the polling period to 500mSec to catch the boosts. Look at a graph over time of the core multiplier and you should see it boosting to 4.4Ghz, single cores at a time, in light bursty loads like opening and closing apps or running a Defender quick scan. But you won't really see those clocks in heavy sustained processing like a stress test as it will reduce average clock to maybe 4.2Ghz, or even as low as 4.1 in Prime 95 small FFT tests, as it heats up.

You can get it to stay higher than 4.2Ghz, maybe around 4.3-4.35 even, by enabling PBO AND getting better-than-stock cooling. It really needs both as Ryzen's very much thermally limited and PBO makes the processor get a lot hotter. For values set PPT to 330 and both TDC and EDC to 230. For some reason that gets higher sustained clocks, and thus performance, in heavy loads but you HAVE to have much better cooling.

Last edited:
You can get it to stay higher than 4.2Ghz, maybe around 4.3-4.35 even, by enabling PBO AND getting better-than-stock cooling.

Keep in mind too, in addition to everything else that's been said here, that part of the REASON you are only hitting 75°C is BECAUSE the hardware is keeping the boost slightly lower. As it stands, you are only about five degrees away from the maximum RECOMMENDED peak temperature, and the point at which plenty of reviews have demonstrably shown the CPU to automatically throttle back at. There are however probably some additional things you can try and maybe some extra cooling that might be needed.

Since I don't see ANY mention of your case or case cooling configuration, lets talk about that for a minute. What is your case model? How many case fans do you have? Where are each of them installed and for each installed case fan, is that fan oriented as an intake or exhaust fan?

I will assume that you DO have the cooler itself oriented so that airflow through the heatsink is traveling front to rear, and that your front fan is NOT raised up abnormally high beyond the top of the heatsink in order to clear any very tall memory heatsinks. Is that all correct?

What is the ambient temperature in the room where your system is located? Have you tried testing the system with the side panel OFF to see if that makes any difference at all in core or package temperatures and boost behavior?

Do you have the most up to date motherboard BIOS version installed?

In truth, the motherboard you have probably also plays a big role in the behavior and stability of the CPU. It's a good board, but it's absolutely an entry level board and is not really intended to be an exemplary overclocking platform.

You might also try bumping your DRAM voltage up by about anywhere from .005-.020v. I've seen some evidence, on several occasions now, where a little extra DRAM voltage to the memory has allowed for some higher peak boost behavior, which is weird since you'd think the additional voltage would result in a reduction, but I suspect it has more to do with stability of the IMC than heat.

Solution

Specs:
Asrock B450 Pro4
3700X CPU
2080Ti GPU
Corsair RM650 PSU
2 things, even CB r23 can't load processor enough to cause it to peak frequency and second is that RM shows "Effective frequency" not highest one. Use HWinfo to see it as it's happening.
One more thing, Ryzen boosts best at or under 62-65c. At 70c my already drops some 100MHz from peak speed and over 200MHz at 75c+.

Reactions: Darkbreeze

TheDurbinator

Honorable
Feb 16, 2015

Keep in mind too, in addition to everything else that's been said here, that part of the REASON you are only hitting 75°C is BECAUSE the hardware is keeping the boost slightly lower. As it stands, you are only about five degrees away from the maximum RECOMMENDED peak temperature, and the point at which plenty of reviews have demonstrably shown the CPU to automatically throttle back at. There are however probably some additional things you can try and maybe some extra cooling that might be needed.

Since I don't see ANY mention of your case or case cooling configuration, lets talk about that for a minute. What is your case model? How many case fans do you have? Where are each of them installed and for each installed case fan, is that fan oriented as an intake or exhaust fan?

I will assume that you DO have the cooler itself oriented so that airflow through the heatsink is traveling front to rear, and that your front fan is NOT raised up abnormally high beyond the top of the heatsink in order to clear any very tall memory heatsinks. Is that all correct?

What is the ambient temperature in the room where your system is located? Have you tried testing the system with the side panel OFF to see if that makes any difference at all in core or package temperatures and boost behavior?

Do you have the most up to date motherboard BIOS version installed?

In truth, the motherboard you have probably also plays a big role in the behavior and stability of the CPU. It's a good board, but it's absolutely an entry level board and is not really intended to be an exemplary overclocking platform.

You might also try bumping your DRAM voltage up by about anywhere from .005-.020v. I've seen some evidence, on several occasions now, where a little extra DRAM voltage to the memory has allowed for some higher peak boost behavior, which is weird since you'd think the additional voltage would result in a reduction, but I suspect it has more to do with stability of the IMC than heat.
Wow! Thank you for the detailed response, apologies I have not been around this weekend.

I have a Meshify C case, with 3 Noctua NF-S12B's on the front as intake, and a Noctua NF-A12x15 as exhaust on the back (to be replaced soon).

The heatsink is facing front to back, with the fan facing the front of the case, blowing into the heatsink/toward the back of the case (if that makes sense?)

I've never tested the temperature in my room so will get back to you on that.

I have the most up to date BIOS for my mobo. I do regret not paying a bit extra for a better board if I'm honest.

I will try bumping the voltage up on the DRAM, if that doesn't help then I'll leave it.

Reactions: Darkbreeze