Apr 1, 2016
Hello!

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X
CPU Cooler: NZXT X62 Kraken
RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz
GPU: RTX 2080 Super
MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming

So over the course of the last year, a lot has changed for zen 2, from lots of bios updates, and chipset updates, so I have a few questions that I need to be answered if you guys don't mind. :)

1. Is there a special power plan for windows that I should be using for optimal temperature/performance? Right now I am using the Ryzen Balanced power plan that comes with the AMD chipset, I read that Windows actually fixed that issue, and the Balanced power plan works fine now? Is this true? Or should I use a custom power plan like 1usmus power plan?
  2. My temps idle are from 50-60c and 70-80c with load (such as gaming), and I've read that undervolting the CPU should help resolve this issue, is this still true? Will I lose any performance if I did this? If so, I cannot find "CPU Voltage" in my MOBO, I can find VDDCR CPU Voltage, is this the same thing? How much should I undevolt -0.1v or -0.05v also what other bios settings should I turn off or on? There is a lot of threads about this, but I'm very confused due to the amount of back and forth, and it's just overwhelming.
Thank you!

Solution
Hello!

Specs:

So over the course of the last year, a lot has changed for zen 2, from lots of bios updates, and chipset updates, so I have a few questions that I need to be answered if you guys don't mind. :)

1. Is there a special power plan for windows that I should be using for optimal temperature/performance? Right now I am using the Ryzen Balanced power plan that comes with the AMD chipset, I read that Windows actually fixed that issue, and the Balanced power plan works fine now? Is this true? Or should I use a custom power plan like 1usmus power plan?
  2. My temps...
Hello!

Specs:

2. My temps idle are from 50-60c and 70-80c with load (such as gaming), and I've read that undervolting the CPU should help resolve this issue, is this still true? Will I lose any performance if I did this? If so, I cannot find "CPU Voltage" in my MOBO, I can find VDDCR CPU Voltage, is this the same thing? How much should I undevolt -0.1v or -0.05v also what other bios settings should I turn off or on? There is a lot of threads about this, but I'm very confused due to the amount of back and forth, and it's just overwhelming.
Thank you!
1. Every windows power plan can be customized, names reflect only defaults.
I use 2. One is 1usmus power plan that is specially for Ryzen https://www.techpowerup.com/review/1usmus-custom-power-plan-for-ryzen-3000-zen-2-processors/ with all sleep or restriction items turned off, Min ad Max CPU 100%. as full performance Power Plan
Second PP is either Ryzen Balanced or Windows Balanced PP with Minimum processor state at 5% and maximum at 50% for "normal" use when not playing games or doing important work. That keeps CPU at up to 2200MHz and under 1v which in my case that means temperatures close to idle temps with minimum noise.
2. Yes,negative CPU/VDDCR CPU Voltage (same thing) can help keep maximum voltages lower but amount (ranging up to 1v) depends mostly on CPU "Silicone lottery" and BIOS. You'll have to experiment with that one.
Unlike earlier AMD processors, all power saving features in BIOS should be enabled for it to work properly thru Windows.

Reactions: KeithM1989
Solution