Feb 3, 2016
hello
i currently have a r7 3800x with noctua nh-d15 cromax

with asus tuf pro gaming b450m-pro

16gb corsair lpx 3000mx dual channel 2x8
2 sticks of 8gbs on the way

psu: corsair rm 850x gold

gtx 1660

so in stock setting the temps are a little too high like 45 or 46 just browsing, gaming at 50cs or 60s

but the v is at 1.4

is normal or too high?

no OC, just turbo speed

i followed a guide on youtube to set all cores at 3.6 with 1.100v

to lower the temps

30 idle and 45 gaming, depends on the game also, but not hitting 60

im worry if the v is too low for the cpu?

or is ok?

made benchmark with cinebench and aida no problems

my question is: is the vcrore right or too low? because at stock 1.4 too high temps and hot

thank you

i added a image of core temp with the clocks and info:
core temp image

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
so in stock setting the temps are a little too high like 45 or 46 just browsing, gaming at 50cs or 60s

On stock values, you're temps are fine. They are actually pretty good, since you're running NH-D15.

Now, if you'd see 80+C on full load, then you can start worrying. Until then, don't stress about it.

i followed a guide on youtube to set all cores at 3.6 with 1.100v

to lower the temps

30 idle and 45 gaming, depends on the game also, but not hitting 60

You have 0 temperature issues, so why would you undervolt your CPU in the first place? :rolleyes:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
i just read that 1.4 is too high thats why

Yeah. No.

We initially dialed in a 4.4 GHz overclock with the Ryzen 7 3800X with a relatively high 1.45V vCore
Reaching 4.3 GHz was fairly straightforward: a 1.42 vCore paired with auto Load Line Calibration, uncorked power settings in the BIOS, and memory overclocked to DDR4-3600 with 14-14-14-36 timings proved rock solid throughout our full battery of stress and application tests.
Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-3800x-review,6226-2.html

1.4 on vCore is normal/stock.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on How you undervolt. Standard Intel oc/uv means lowering vcore. That doesn't work out well with a Ryzen because Ryzens use 2 voltage settings. They use single thread performance and multi thread performance simultaneously.

A game might use 6 cores. 5 of those are supplementary cores, they do all the heavy lifting, the work etc. The 6th core is the Primary core, it's taking all the work the other 5 have done, and combine them into one packet to the gpu. So all 6 cores working is multi core power but there's a necessity for single core performance too for the primary especially.

So chopping vcore can have detrimental affects to single thread performance, even if the resultant drop in temps can help out multi core boosts.

So instead of vcore, you drop VID. It allows the cpu to behave as the cpu should with regards to single/multi voltages without setting a hard limit. Offset voltage has the same affect as it affects VID.