[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 5700U Throttling At Low Temps

-moon-

Prominent
Dec 3, 2021
Hello. My HP 255 G8 laptop was dropping FPS quite often while plugged in, so I decided to check its temps with HWInfo64. I noticed that, although the CPU was keeping its temps lower than 60°C, HTC and PROCHOT EXT throttling were happening.
I was wondering if there was a way to solve this, as throttling at 60°C seems rather inappropriate and is killing all performance while plugged.
I'm using the maximum performance preset.
Thank you very much in advance for any help provided!

Solution
I have no "Ryzen balance" plan. Yes, when I say maximum performance preset, I mean power plan. It should be called Ultimate Performance in English, yes. Sorry for not making that clear.
I have tried using Windows' Balance plan but nothing changed.

Ah okay, so, you shouldn't really run the Ultimate power plan on a laptop, as it completely overrules any power saving features, and keeps everything on (ssd/hdd etc)/ It's actually only meant for desktop systems, where having your hardware active at all times, can be a benefit.

If you type the following code into windows powershell, it will re-install the High Performance profile default:
High Performance: powercfg -duplicatescheme 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c
Balanced...

-moon-

Prominent
Dec 3, 2021
Hey there,

Have you tried it with the Ryzen balance plan? If not, I'd do that., as it will give better performance. When you say maximum performance preset, do you mean power plan? Or is it the Ultimate performance power plan? Or what exactly are you referring to?

I have no "Ryzen balance" plan. Yes, when I say maximum performance preset, I mean power plan. It should be called Ultimate Performance in English, yes. Sorry for not making that clear.

Last edited:

Ah okay, so, you shouldn't really run the Ultimate power plan on a laptop, as it completely overrules any power saving features, and keeps everything on (ssd/hdd etc)/ It's actually only meant for desktop systems, where having your hardware active at all times, can be a benefit.

If you type the following code into windows powershell, it will re-install the High Performance profile default:
High Performance: powercfg -duplicatescheme 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c
Balanced: powercfg -duplicatescheme 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e
Power saver: powercfg -duplicatescheme a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a

Then update your drivers, specially chipset driver as this will have the latest Ryzen plan, which may make a difference.

Solution

-moon-

Prominent
Dec 3, 2021

Balanced: powercfg -duplicatescheme 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e
Power saver: powercfg -duplicatescheme a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a

Then update your drivers, specially chipset driver as this will have the latest Ryzen plan, which may make a difference.

Nope. Cannot really get any new drivers. Nor from the manufacturer nor from AMD. Motherboard is reported as HP 890E by the system, no idea the chipset.
So far changing the powerplan did nothing. For some reason, I did get a few days of it no longer throttling, now it is back to throttling...