Question Ryzen 7 5700x won't stop shutting PC off when gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minipiwi

Reputable
Apr 19, 2020
I recently installed the Ryzen 7 5700x CPU on my PC and I made sure the bios was compatible (haven't been able to update to the latest bios because it keeps giving secure disk errors) but whenever I game it forces my PC to shut down. My psu is a 1000 watts and brand new too, I'd say three weeks old by now. I was running some temps yesterday and it got a little bit so I cleaned off the thermal paste and reapplied it. In iddle it sits anywhere from 43-53 degrees. Whenever I play Modern warfare two it crashes no matter what temps. Usually 56 - 60 on cou and 70 on gpu and would crash mid match. I booted up dying light 2, maxed out the settings and ran around and did combat and GPU was at 69/70 and cpu steady 53/54. I turned off the game and tried booting mw2 and not even into the main menu my PC shuts down. I have it a rest and tried running some dl2 and I wasn't paying attention the the temps but it just shut itself off. Any ideas on what to do ? For reference my case is pretty small and whenever I use it for VR I always have a massive fan next to it. My specs are ; Mobo AsRock b450 HDV R.4, Ram: 32 gigs 3500 (PC only runs them at 1066 for some reason and whenever I make it higher I have to reset Mobo) cpu : Ryzen 7 5700x GPU RTX 3070ti latest driver updates.

Lutfij

Titan
(haven't been able to update to the latest bios because it keeps giving secure disk errors)
You're advised to get onto the latest BIOS version to ensure maximum compatibility, reduced issues(if there are any).

When posting specs to a build, please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU, apart from it's make and model.

You state being on a "compatible" BIOS, what BIOS version are you on at this moment of time?

Minipiwi

Reputable
Apr 19, 2020
(haven't been able to update to the latest bios because it keeps giving secure disk errors)
You're advised to get onto the latest BIOS version to ensure maximum compatibility, reduced issues(if there are any).

When posting specs to a build, please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU, apart from it's make and model.

You state being on a "compatible" BIOS, what BIOS version are you on at this moment of time?
Right sorry,
CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x
Mobo: AsRock B-450 HDV R.4
Ram: Corsair CMW 32 gigs 3600 DDR4
Ssd: Intel SSFSC2BF130A5 111gb
Internal SSD: Samsung SSD 970 Evo 1tb
HDD: St3500413AS
External HDD: WD game USB device
PSU: Corsair Rmx Series Rm 1000x 80 plus gold.
Chassis : Cannot find the name or model since I got this oc prebuilt 3-4 years ago and the website I got it from no longer seems to have the case.
Monitor: Using two set ups, currently in the living room using a TV.
As for the bios I am running it's version P4.86. Like I've said before I've been unsuccessful with updating the bios to the latest two updates because of a secure disk fail.

As for the bios I am running it's version P4.86. Like I've said before I've been unsuccessful with updating the bios to the latest two updates because of a secure disk fail.
Try using a different USB for the flashing process. Get that BIOS updated before proceeding further with troubleshooting.

Manufacturer website says 4.90 for 5700x

Minipiwi

Reputable
Apr 19, 2020
Update thread with the results.
Sorry for the late reply I was at work but I just got done testing some and I older games it works perfect, hopped on on VR and I exited the game and the PC just shut itself off again. I'm touched the case since I wasn't able to get a look at temps and the case is fairly cool, barely even warm so I have no idea what the issue is.
Edit: I turned it on asap and got nzxt and it said that cpu temps are 71 so I can assume it the CPU might be overheating ?

Minipiwi Hello. In addition to troubleshooting your problem here, I would also strongly encourage you to reach out to Asrock support. I own two of their boards (B350/B450) and I've found their support to be quite good. With that said, I have some questions for you:

"Shutting off": Could you be more specific? Is the PC power completely shutting off? No light or indication of power, such as fans spinning? Or is the display simply going black? Or is the system power cycling (rebooting) while gaming?

CPU: You currently have a Ryzen 7 5700X. Did you previously have a different AM4 CPU? If so, which one? Did these problems only start once you upgraded the CPU or some other component?

"CPU might be overheating?": I've personally never seen excess CPU temps shut down the computer, only reboot it. And with that being said, 71C isn't high enough to cause either condition. By the way, which CPU cooler did you employ?

RAM: Corsair CMW 32 gigs 3600 DDR4: What does CMW mean? "PC only runs them at 1066 ". 2133MT (1066 times double density rating speeds). When you attempted to set the speeds higher than default 2133, did you simply attempt to enable XMP or did you manual set the speed? Is XMP currently off or on?

Motherboard - Asrock b450m hdv r4.0: is 4 pin PCIe socket currently connected to power supply? I assume that it wouldn't boot otherwise, but I have to ask. I also question whether a 4-pin PCIe connector can supply enough PCIe slot power to a 3070 Ti, in addition to running the rest of the connected components.

GPU: What is the exact mfg. & model of 3070 Ti that you've used? Can you supply a link to the product page on amazon or newegg? This question relates to my question above about the motherboard only having a 4 pin PCIe connector, as opposed to an 8 pin.

PSU: You stated that you have a Corsair RMx 1000, which was three weeks old when you started this message thread. What event motivated you to purchase this new power supply? Was it purchased as a reaction to your PC shutting off? Also, what PSU did you have immediately before? (mfg & model?).

Addendum:

SSD: Did you originally install Windows on this AM4 platform, or was it initially installed on an Intel build, and the drive was simply moved over to this AMD build afterwards? I ask, because doing so can create incredible instability, including system reboots. However, I've never heard of it completely shutting off power.

Addendum 2:

Overclocking: Do you have PBO enabled or any other form of overclocking?

By the way, I apologize for my verbose response, but I'm just trying to help you figure out what's going on with your system.

Last edited:

Minipiwi

Reputable
Apr 19, 2020
Minipiwi Hello. In addition to troubleshooting your problem here, I would also strongly encourage you to reach out to Asrock support. I own two of their boards (B350/B450) and I've found their support to be quite good. With that said, I have some questions for you:

"Shutting off": Could you be more specific? Is the PC power completely shutting off? No light or indication of power, such as fans spinning? Or is the display simply going black? Or is the system power cycling (rebooting) while gaming?

CPU: You currently have a Ryzen 7 5700X. Did you previously have a different AM4 CPU? If so, which one? Did these problems only start once you upgraded the CPU or some other component?

"CPU might be overheating?": I've personally never seen excess CPU temps shut down the computer, only reboot it. And with that being said, 71C isn't high enough to cause either condition. By the way, which CPU cooler did you employ?

RAM: Corsair CMW 32 gigs 3600 DDR4: What does CMW mean? "PC only runs them at 1066 ". 2133MT (1066 times double density rating speeds). When you attempted to set the speeds higher than default 2133, did you simply attempt to enable XMP or did you manual set the speed? Is XMP currently off or on?

Motherboard - Asrock b450m hdv r4.0: is 4 pin PCIe socket currently connected to power supply? I assume that it wouldn't boot otherwise, but I have to ask. I also question whether a 4-pin PCIe connector can supply enough PCIe slot power to a 3070 Ti, in addition to running the rest of the connected components.

GPU: What is the exact mfg. & model of 3070 Ti that you've used? Can you supply a link to the product page on amazon or newegg? This question relates to my question above about the motherboard only having a 4 pin PCIe connector, as opposed to an 8 pin.

PSU: You stated that you have a Corsair RMx 1000, which was three weeks old when you started this message thread. What event motivated you to purchase this new power supply? Was it purchased as a reaction to your PC shutting off? Also, what PSU did you have immediately before? (mfg & model?).

Addendum:

SSD: Did you originally install Windows on this AM4 platform, or was it initially installed on an Intel build, and the drive was simply moved over to this AMD build afterwards? I ask, because doing so can create incredible instability, including system reboots. However, I've never heard of it completely shutting off power.

Addendum 2:

Overclocking: Do you have PBO enabled or any other form of overclocking?

By the way, I apologize for my verbose response, but I'm just trying to help you figure out what's going on with your system.
For shutting of yes, everything shuts down no reboot. It powers off, fans stop spinning and no power. I have to manually turn it on. I was just playing ready or not with my buddy and was watching the temps enter about 75 and it did just that, shut down. I'm not sure why this keeps happening but it's making me wonder if I grab and AIO would help. Before this I previously had a Ryzen 7 2700x and this was never an issue. The issue started once I installed the 5700x. I got the new PSU because my last one was a 460 I believe and I believe it did not give enough juice for my GPU and cpu to work at their max potential. I have no idea if xmp is on or off but I did try manually setting it yes. For the SSD I have no idea since this was a prebuilt but I've had the same Mobo since day one so no Intel. I do not have any overclockong, I did on my previous card (Rx 580) but before I installed the 3070 I did the ddu set up to uninstall all drivers. As for the pins the card requires 8 pins and I have 8 pins connected ATM

For shutting of yes, everything shuts down no reboot. It powers off, fans stop spinning and no power. I have to manually turn it on. I was just playing ready or not with my buddy and was watching the temps enter about 75 and it did just that, shut down. I'm not sure why this keeps happening but it's making me wonder if I grab and AIO would help. Before this I previously had a Ryzen 7 2700x and this was never an issue. The issue started once I installed the 5700x. I got the new PSU because my last one was a 460 I believe and I believe it did not give enough juice for my GPU and cpu to work at their max potential. I have no idea if xmp is on or off but I did try manually setting it yes. For the SSD I have no idea since this was a prebuilt but I've had the same Mobo since day one so no Intel. I do not have any overclockong, I did on my previous card (Rx 580) but before I installed the 3070 I did the ddu set up to uninstall all drivers. As for the pins the card requires 8 pins and I have 8 pins connected ATM
Are you able to remove case side panel and point a fan at motherboard? If so, do it and try to play a few games.

Minipiwi

Reputable
Apr 19, 2020
Are you able to remove case side panel and point a fan at motherboard? If so, do it and try to play a few games.
That's exactly what I did and boom. I was able to play temps not surpassing 65 and no shutting down. So it definitely has to be the over heating. I'm thinking of getting those AIO for the CPU would those help ? Also my side panel is made out of glass, should I look to replace it with another material?

That's exactly what I did and boom. I was able to play temps not surpassing 65 and no shutting down. So it definitely has to be the over heating. I'm thinking of getting those AIO for the CPU would those help ? Also my side panel is made out of glass, should I look to replace it with another material?
I'd say it's the VRM over heating and shutting down. What's your case fan arrangement look like?

Minipiwi

Reputable
Apr 19, 2020
I'd say it's the VRM over heating and shutting down. What's your case fan arrangement look like?
I'll take a picture when I get home but I only have 2 fans, one in the back and one on top. My case is very small fitting the 1000 watt power supply was a very tight fit. As for the cooler I have it's the one that came with the 2700x, I think it's called and prism?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Modern Warfare 2 isn't a copy/paste that I know of, it's using a different engine to the original supposedly, and is considerably more graphically intensive, with a strong emphasis on photo realism.

Basically when you have cards like the 3090ti already out, and can figure that's going to be roughly equal to a 4080, before that ever drops, then having a game that's no more graphically challenging than CSGO or Lego or Minecraft isn't going to fare well in AAA titles.

That means packing in all the gimmicks they can, as well as things like AVX usage for explosions and fireballs, bloom, pre and post effects galore.

Which means bugs galore when vendors get tired of spending money and start insisting on making money by rushing the devs who end up relying on John Q. Public to be the Guinea Pig testers. Get a few bugs, a few cheaters, the devs make a fix, and three other things break.

Minipiwi

Reputable
Apr 19, 2020
Haven’t played mw2 yet. You mean they released a game that basically wasn’t finished? So many of the call of duty games seemed to be copy and paste of older games with new skins sadly enough. The test would be does it happen with any other games?
Yes it has happened with other games, mw2 is very unstable yes, but before this cou it never forced my PC to shut down. When I sued dying light 2 without monitoring the temps it did the same, and after a heavy CPU VR session (blade and sorcery) it shut down too. I fully agree about the game but I fear it might be temps because whenever I put the fan on with no side panel it's perfect. I have yet to try mw2 though

Status
Not open for further replies.