Question Ryzen 7 5700x3d temps

vuko_d

Honorable
Jun 29, 2018
Hi
I have a question regarding the temps I'm seeing with thermaltake assassin peerless 120 se cooler and thermal grizzly hydronaut paste
The cpu idles between 35-45*c with the room at 24*c which isn't too bad but when I ran prime 95 max power test it very quickly goes to 90*C and I can see power and clock throttling. On a blend test it sits between 70*C to 80+*C and both power and clock are much higher.
I tried reapplying the paste but it did nothing, it's a thin layer with no gaps all over the CPU. The cooler is tightened quite hard so there should be good contact. I haven't had time to test the temps in games yet.
The case has :
200mm and 120mm intake fans at the front with the 120 facing the cooler itself
1 x 120mm intake fan on the side
2 x 120mm exhaust on top
1 x 120mm exhaust at the back

Motherboard is AsRock B550 Phantom gaming 4, I haven't flashed the latest bios.

Reactions: jnjnilson6
Prime95 is only really useful to throw in the worst case scenario workload on the CPU, whether it's to check the cooler can make sure the system doesn't go down in immediate flames or any overclocking you did is more or less stable. It's not really useful to check how well the system performs in a practical setting.

So unless you're actually performing worksloads as hard as Prime95, run something you'll actually run on the system and see how it is.

vuko_d

Honorable
Jun 29, 2018
I don't think im going to playing any overly demanding games on it, upgraded basically just for Helldivers 2, but I won't have to chance to play it for another two weeks because of work.
Are there any benchmarks that I can try that would mimic more realistic scenarios so it can just run while I do something else to test the temps?

Also are there any setting that need adjusting for idle state? The cpu idles at quite high clock and this is the first time I got a full amd setup. The i5 I had was OC'd to 4.5GHz but the idle clock was very low.

3DMark has a free version that includes Time Spy and Fire Strike, the former has a CPU only test and the latter has a CPU only test as well as a CPU + GPU test. Otherwise just run some recent-ish big-studio game on the system. It doesn't have to be the game you actually wanted to play.

Idle temps look fine. A thing to note is if you're monitoring temperatures and the software only reports one value from the CPU, it'll report the hottest part of the CPU. I don't think this has a whole lot of weight because chances are this is only affecting a small portion of the CPU. For cooling performance, monitoring the average CPU die or package temperature is better. You can use HWiNFO or HWMonitor to get these values.

In addition, Windows always has stuff to do, so it'll periodically throw those housekeeping tasks onto the CPU. Since the workload of these tasks aren't significant, it'll get shoved onto one, maybe two cores, which will boost hard, and that'll drive up the temperature momentarily.

vuko_d

Honorable
Jun 29, 2018
Ill run the 3d mark as I don't havy newish games old set up could t handle them so I wasn't buying anything. I was measuring the temps using cpuz and ryzen master but I'll try one of the two you mentioned and see what it looks like. Thanks for the help

Reactions: CountMike

vuko_d

Honorable
Jun 29, 2018
image-2024-06-22-110823089.png

CPU temps when playing Helldiver 2 on max settings
With the game being apparently CPU I'm assuming the temps are ok and I don't need to reapply the thermal paste and the cooler

vuko_d

Honorable
Jun 29, 2018
I changed the fan profile to more aggressive above 65*C (it was set to silent) since I'm wearing headphones anyway got max temp down to 70*C

Colif

Win 11 Master
The cpu idles between 35-45*c with the room at 24*c which isn't too bad but when I ran prime 95 max power test it very quickly goes to 90*C and I can see power and clock throttling. On a blend test it sits between 70*C to 80+*C and both power and clock are much higher.
thats about what i get on a 5800x3d in Prime95. it gets there regardless of cooling as I have a 360aio and it still jumps to 90+ right away. I don't know how safe it would be to run the x3d cache too hot for long. So I didn't run it long... easier to use Cinebench to test cooling, less stressing on CPU but still can make it work.

You better off using HWINFO for temps, HW Monitor isn't always accurate - I have seen it think a 7600 was maxing out at 10ghz which is impressive since its max speed is 5ghz

how fans controlled?
https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.Releases

vuko_d

Honorable
Jun 29, 2018
I am using HWinfo
I can set up cooling profiles in Bios, default was "silent" which was bit too passive. I did a custom one and managed to drop about 3-4*C in idle while still keeping the fan noise down to acceptable level and 4-5*C while gaming.

I am using HWinfo
I can set up cooling profiles in Bios, default was "silent" which was bit too passive. I did a custom one and managed to drop about 3-4*C in idle while still keeping the fan noise down to acceptable level and 4-5*C while gaming.
If pump speed is adjustable, set it to full speed all the time. Most practical curve for radiator fans is minimum rpm (or just above) when CPU is in idle and maximum just before Tjmax for that CPU.

That CPU will aggressively boost until a power limit or temp limit is hit, 90C is that limit, its not dangerous to hit 90c on it, but it will end up not boosting as far or worse throttle below base speeds, thats why people say to not cheap out on coolers on Ryzen stuff, the cooler you can get it, the higher or longer it can keep its boost clocks up.

Prime 95 is a kind of a unrealistic load anyway, so a bit over 80C I'd say you are doing good with that chip, them do run a bit toasty.

Colif

Win 11 Master
thermaltake assassin peerless 120 se cooler

If pump speed is adjustable, set it to full speed all the time.
wonders where the pump is :)

I get about 80c @4.3ghz all cores in R23
OwlLQE7.jpeg

It may not help the outlet for our heater is directly above PC.

I did notice CPU temps were warmer on my 240 AIO compared to what I get now a 360. By about 7c some nights... I saw 20c last night on cores, and 29c on package, at idle.