Question Ryzen 7 5800x 90c idle

Is this a new issue or has it always been like this?
Did you just recently purchase this? Still under warranty?
Are you interested in trying to fix it yourself if it requires disassembly?

90C at idle it almost certainly is a physical hardware issue. Cooler separated from CPU, bad paste, defective AIO, etc

Is that an 120mm AIO I see there ?
Heck, even with a good 360 AIO I'm having hard time keeping under 85-90c on a hot day and full load while keeping full performance on a hot day.
But yes, 90c at or near idle is waaay to high indicating that something is wrong with cooler or mounting. 10c over ambient is expected but no more.

Bios shows pump 1 running at 4270 rpm (or around that number). Cpu 1 is running at about 2k and system 1 is around 1100rpm as well.
Is it 90C constantlywhen at "idle"? or short duration surges or even spikes to 90C?

If it's constantly 90C you've definitely got something wrong in the cooling: are you sure you removed any plastic protector on the bottom surface of the water block? have you evenly tightened all the screws holding the plastic clips to the backplate? and tightened the two thumb screws holding the water block to the CPU?

If it's a pre-built you should be taking it back to the seller or contacting mfr's tech support. They owe you a properly running unit.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen 7 5800x running at 90 on idle and when gaming. Constant overheat messages and not sure why. Brought as an msi pre-built if that helps, but I don't have the name handy. Any advice would be appreciated!

MSI prebuilt.
Return it if bought local.
Contact seller if it was shipped.

MSI is bad about using those 120mm rads when it's not enough for the processor used.

Sep 11, 2022
Is that an 120mm AIO I see there ?
Heck, even with a good 360 AIO I'm having hard time keeping under 85-90c on a hot day and full load while keeping full performance on a hot day.
But yes, 90c at or near idle is waaay to high indicating that something is wrong with cooler or mounting. 10c over ambient is expected but no more.
Yeah I just waited a few days for new thermal paste and applied it. Idles at 50-60c and spikes to 90c doing anything that remotely uses the cpu (i.e. opening a couple of chrome tabs or watching a video). Also seems to be a bit of a crackling sound from the AIO whenever I start the PC. Should I just RMA it at that point?

Yeah I just waited a few days for new thermal paste and applied it. Idles at 50-60c and spikes to 90c doing anything that remotely uses the cpu (i.e. opening a couple of chrome tabs or watching a video). Also seems to be a bit of a crackling sound from the AIO whenever I start the PC. Should I just RMA it at that point?
It's simply not enough of a cooler for that CPU, even if it works perfectly. There are better air coolers. Those temps are not problem by themselves but would impact performance .

The problem isn't the cpu + cpu cooler combo, it's that the cooler is a MAG/MPG Coreliquid.

Excluding the OP, the MAG + MPG Coreliquid early clogging issues shouldn't have been forgotten already.
Good catch and I'd agree except if it's brand new, which isn't clear to me.

OP: Crackling in the AIO could be air bubbles in the pump if it's one with the pump in the CPU/water block. I don't know if MSI made 120mm AIO's with pump in radiator but if it's one of those it shouldn't crackle unless liquid is extremely low.

It's pretty normal for 5800X's to idle in the 50's if cooling isn't great...and especially normal to quickly boost to 90C temps. I'd agree that's probably not enough cooler (even if a proper working one) but it should only be a serious problem once the liquid is thermally saturated and that takes a few minutes of max-cpu operation.

Check temperatures with HWINfo64 and look for an average over time, especially noticeable when it's graphed. If it's staying stuck above 80C you'll need to replace the cooler for sure. But consider replacing it anyway with a 240mm or 360mm (should fit in that case) to get the maximum performance out of the processor.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022
It's simply not enough of a cooler for that CPU, even if it works perfectly. There are better air coolers. Those temps are not problem by themselves but would impact performance .

I see, I might consider getting a better cooler
Good catch and I'd agree except if it's brand new, which isn't clear to me.

OP: Crackling in the AIO could be air bubbles in the pump if it's one with the pump in the CPU/water block. I don't know if MSI made 120mm AIO's with pump in radiator but if it's one of those it shouldn't crackle unless liquid is extremely low.

It's pretty normal for 5800X's to idle in the 50's if cooling isn't great...and especially normal to quickly boost to 90C temps. I'd agree that's probably not enough cooler (even if a proper working one) but it should only be a serious problem once the liquid is thermally saturated and that takes a few minutes of max-cpu operation.

Check temperatures with HWINfo64 and look for an average over time, especially noticeable when it's graphed. If it's staying stuck above 80C you'll need to replace the cooler for sure. But consider replacing it anyway with a 240mm or 360mm (should fit in that case) to get the maximum performance out of the processor.

Yeah, it's not new, maybe 6 months? It hasn't been this bad before so I think the AIO is dead or something.

Honestly the temps are ok until I start running higher cpu use programs. It hits high 80s/90s consistently and usually shuts down after a minute or two.

I think I'm going to RMA it since it's within warranty, but if that doesn't work could you recommend me some good cooling systems?

I see, I might consider getting a better cooler

Yeah, it's not new, maybe 6 months? It hasn't been this bad before so I think the AIO is dead or something.

Honestly the temps are ok until I start running higher cpu use programs. It hits high 80s/90s consistently and usually shuts down after a minute or two.

I think I'm going to RMA it since it's within warranty, but if that doesn't work could you recommend me some good cooling systems?
If it's been declining over time it's almost certainly a bad AIO, a result of contamination from manufacture that builds up on the water block fins. MSI has a recall out on some of them so you might have a chance for replacing it. Or better yet, just bite the bullet and buy a better one since whatever you get (if anything) will more than likely be another undersized 120mm unit.

I'm running with a 240mm BeQuiet Pure Loop on my 5800X. I'm using a 5 yo 240mm CoolerMaster on a 3700X system. Both work very well and the PureLoop is extremely quiet, a result of the pump being attached directly to the tubing. Not terribly expensive either.

Reactions: CountMike

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There was some variance, but 6 months is enough time for those MAG/MPG Coreliquids to accumulate organics. It might even be based on operating temperature; the warmer the fluid, the faster the gunk built up or something.

If RMA doesn't work:
A)Air cooler. From the screenshot, it looks like a Gungnir 110/111 model, and those have a clearance of 170mm. [To be on the safe side, imagine the max is 169mm.]
Just depends on what's available to you at that point; none of us know where you shop from, after all.

B)240 or 280*mm(only fits at the front) AIO/CLC. Do not even bother with another 120mm model.
Availability is the same as point A.

I have a 120mm though, does this still apply to me?

If it does then what should I do? Call them and ask for a replacement or something?
Contact MSI's tech support and open a warranty request for RMA. The web site or e-mail address probably varies based on country; you might have a warranty card that came with the system when you bought it that informs you of what to do. Your claim is probably against the entire system since it's a pre-built so that's where you should start.

But at best you're likely to get just another 120mm AIO made by MSI...who don't seem to be able to put together a decent one. Biting the bullet and buying an upgraded AIO from a quality mfr. will be far and away preferable. CPU cooling is one of the weakest areas of almost all pre-builts so even without the quality issues it's should be expected to upgrade cooling first when buying one.

LeviTech

Commendable
Sep 27, 2021
I have a 120mm though, does this still apply to me?

If it does then what should I do? Call them and ask for a replacement or something?
I think the problem is the liquid that they use and not the size of the radiator. If you can call them so they can run your serial number and if it's not available to recall, open a RMA.