Question Ryzen 7 5800X CCD #0 goes up to 90+ for a split second - - - Is that normal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2023
Hey there.

I got a brand new computer 15 days ago and it has served me well so far, but I've been a bit worried about the CPU's erratic temperatures ever since I got it. More specifically the CCD #0 temperature, which seems to be jumping up and down without making much sense. I'm noticing this even when idle... it's 39-40 most of the time, but then for a split second it goes up to 70 and then back down to 39. When I'm gaming it's mostly 70-ish but then it suddenly shoots up to 90-95 for half a second and goes right back down to 70.

UDaftQT.png

These are my CPU temps according to HWMonitor after playing Destiny 2 for roughly two hours (first value is current temp, middle is minimum, last one is maximum). As I said above, when I was playing my CCD #0 temperature was mostly around 70 but a few times it shot up to 90-95 for just a split second and then went right back down. This is also the first time I've seen it go as high as 95.8 (I thought 5800X was supposed to throttle itself before it gets to 95?). Until today the highest I had seen was 93.5.

What is this CCD #0 temperature and should I be worried about it doing this? I haven't noticed any performance issues and all the other CPU temperatures seem to be fine. I'm wondering if maybe the temperature monitor is just broken and giving the wrong readings because it doesn't seem normal for the temperature to jump around like this.

Specs
  • RTX 3070
  • Ryzen 7 5800X
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Windows 11 64-bit

The 5800x only has 1 CCD, so the 95c you are seeing is probably what a single core got to, the 5800x is kind of a hot chip, I've had one, and with massive air cooler, it was not uncommon to see mine hit 90C at times. It was hotter than my 5900x on the same cooler.

But what you are seeing is probably the way PBO is boosting the chip, if its comfortable it will throw more volts at a core and clock it higher, so its not uncommon to see a spike like that so quickly.

Yes by default, the 5800x should end up throttling around 90C, but there is a lag sometimes, so even at 90C it could spike over that for a short time.

Another thing, if you played with any setting in the bios such as allowing the board to control the power limits, overriding the stock AMD PBO stuff, it could vary well increased the max safe temp in the bios to 95C, some board setting the XMP or DOCP for the ram profile can also lift the factory power limits on the CPU as its considered an overclock.

What cooler do you have?

Have you changed anything in the bios?

KyaraM

Admirable
To add to the above, afaik Ryzen chips have a different boost behavior from Intel, especially in idle, and also use cores differently. For example, I heard that Ryzen load as much as they can onto one core in idle, boost only that core and deactivate the others. That would lead to high loads and high temperatures on a single core Please correct me if I understand this wrong, I'm no expert on Ryzen chips, this is just what I gathered from reading through this forum. However, that would explain very high spikes, together the hotspot problematic on this particular chip.

For gaming, temperature spikes are kinda normal. For example, my own 12700K might run in the high 40s to low 50s on average in games, but sometimes spike to over 60°C for a moment. I think it might be similar for you here. I would check if it is just one core, or all doing this. That might clear things up a bit more.

Reactions: oothatshot
Mar 12, 2023
What cooler do you have?

Alpenföhn® Dolomit Advanced

Have you changed anything in the bios?

Nope, I haven't. I paid a reputable local PC components store to put together this PC and test it to make sure it works so I assume if there was some kind of BIOS fiddling that needed to be done, they probably took care of that as well. They said it should just work out of the box.

Anyway, update on the temperature situation. I played Destiny 2 again for roughly two hours (1:44:13) while I monitored my temperatures on both HWiNFO and HWMonitor.

HWiNFO Results
FKWttfN.png

HWMonitor Results
lbBRhlG.png

The averages seem good at least. And I will say that the 92.5 °C you see on HWMonitor was actually logged when the highest maximum that showed on HWiNFO was 86.5 °C, so there's definitely some kind of discrepancy between the two monitoring softwares; as for which one is showing the correct numbers, I don't know.

Yeah, if you have both temp monitors going, that could also throw off some of the numbers as well, I had 1 system where Corsair ICue mouse software by defualt monitors temps and other things, would make Open Hardware Monitor throw out some wired readings before. Best to use just on if you can.

That honestly looks normal for the 5800x to me with that cooler, and I honestly wouldn't loose sleep over it, AMD even says its normal to see 90C on most of the 5000 chips, and sometimes the boards will lag a little before throttling or well I shouldn't say throttling with how these chips work.

These chips are designed to keep on boosting up until a temp limit or power limit is reached, if one of them is reached, it will stop boosting, or lower the clock speed until one or the other in met, if the clock speed drops below the base clock speed of 3.8ghz under a load, then I'd say you'd have a problem you need to address, anything over 3.8ghz I wouldn't say its throttling, its just PBO doing its thing.

Reactions: oothatshot

kognak

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
Alpenföhn® Dolomit Advanced

Nope, I haven't. I paid a reputable local PC components store to put together this PC and test it to make sure it works so I assume if there was some kind of BIOS fiddling that needed to be done, they probably took care of that as well. They said it should just work out of the box.

Anyway, update on the temperature situation. I played Destiny 2 again for roughly two hours (1:44:13) while I monitored my temperatures on both HWiNFO and HWMonitor.

HWiNFO Results
FKWttfN.png
To me it looks like your case has limited air flow and ambient creeps up while gaming. Averages are reasonable but IO-die temps are somewhat elevated while gaming indicating the case isn't removing heat from graphics card very well. CPU cooler looks like it works properly, L3 cache which sits between cores on die is peaking just 63C so it's not a bad contact either. I would remove side panel for a test and play same game again for similar time.

Apr 19, 2023
I got the ryzen 7 5800x with a RTX 3080. My cooler is a Coolermaster Master liquid ML120 RGB. ( After i search for coolers for the 5800x this cooler was one of the recomended)
The problemm is the PCU. cause its build to work at so high temps. The temps go sky high what ever you do. If you dont wanna pay huge money on coolers ( and that will drop like MAX 5 temps?) try to undervolt it. Tbh i undervolt it from 1.4 to 1.1 but i maxed the CPU to work in 4.4 . I got 20 temps drop from that. Max temps not are 62 in gaming from a 85-89 i use to get. Im a noob in those things so i saw a lot of videos. I dont know if i helped but i sacrificed 0.3 speed for -15 -20 temps drop.

I got the ryzen 7 5800x with a RTX 3080. My cooler is a Coolermaster Master liquid ML120 RGB. ( After i search for coolers for the 5800x this cooler was one of the recomended)
The problemm is the PCU. cause its build to work at so high temps. The temps go sky high what ever you do. If you dont wanna pay huge money on coolers ( and that will drop like MAX 5 temps?) try to undervolt it. Tbh i undervolt it from 1.4 to 1.1 but i maxed the CPU to work in 4.4 . I got 20 temps drop from that. Max temps not are 62 in gaming from a 85-89 i use to get. Im a noob in those things so i saw a lot of videos. I dont know if i helped but i sacrificed 0.3 speed for -15 -20 temps drop.

best way to keep voltages in check is to use Curve Optimizer in BIOS. negative CO at-20 to .30 all core is average With lesser cooling it may even boost higher. ,

Status
Not open for further replies.