[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 5800X low clock speed while rendering ?

suren_011

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
hey guys, i recently bought a new Ryzen 7 5800x due to the fact that my old i7 2700k died so i had to change my motherboard and ram as well. on day one this system start crashing randomly without any BSOD n warning. after updating my bios to latest version to f14e it is not crashing but the clock speed acting funny. i am attaching the videos link here. while rendering or playing game clock speed drops drastically while doing nothing the clock speed goes up. also my CPU temperature stick to 90c all the time , it does not go down n does not go up. even if I am in bios watching temperature it is always 90c. so please watch the video and tell me what i must do, my system specs are mentioned below. thank you !

gigabyte b550M DS3H
Ryzen 7 5800x
Cooler master liquid lite 120
RX 580 8GB pulse
Ram ddr4 3200Mhz 16GB x 2
SMPS 600watt Cooler master
SSD 480 crucial 3dnand

Video link:- Ryzen 7 5800x slow clock speed issue

please tell me what I should do because I was previously used Celeron, p4, Quadcore Q6600, I7 2700K all of them are intel and I never had to do anything with them. so I never had to tweak the bios n anything so I don't know what to do with this situation. Thank you !

Last edited:
Solution
yes something wrong, this is the first day that my pc did not crashed a few times in the day otherwise since last 8 days it is crashing 2 to 3 times without any BSOD or anything. just simply shutdown. I should mentioned that clock speed was behaving like this from day one.
Follow the rest of suggestion....but first double, triple check CPU cooler mounting. Make sure fasteners are evenly tightened all around and...did you remove any labels on the bottom of the cooler before applying thermal grease and installing it?

update bios
reset cmos
install AMD's chipset drivers from their support page

and, of course, install gpu, audio, lan drivers but AVOID ANY OTHER GIGABYTE UTILITIES!
If you didn't, just do a clean re-install of Windows after a complete platform change-out like that. Also update the motherboard BIOS to latest rev and do a CMOS reset. After OS installs and updates, install the latest chipset drivers from the AMD website and GPU drivers. Avoid installing any of Gigabyte's motherboard utilities aside from audio and LAN drivers.

Once setup and running on proper drivers, Ryzen behavior while running is very much different from older CPU's. 5800's in particular will run as hot as 90C in heavy processing, that's normal and by design. But it should still maintain fairly high clocks so long as your cooling is adequate and properly mounted. I'm not sure a 120mm AIO is adequate for a 5800 in heavy use like rendering but it should still hold higher clocks than that link shows so something's wrong for sure.

suren_011

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
If you didn't, just do a clean re-install of Windows after a complete platform change-out like that. Also update the motherboard BIOS to latest rev and do a CMOS reset. After OS installs and updates, install the latest chipset drivers from the AMD website and GPU drivers. Avoid installing any of Gigabyte's motherboard utilities aside from audio and LAN drivers.

Once setup and running on proper drivers, Ryzen behavior while running is very much different from older CPU's. 5800's in particular will run as hot as 90C in heavy processing, that's normal and by design. But it should still maintain fairly high clocks so long as your cooling is adequate and properly mounted. I'm not sure a 120mm AIO is adequate for a 5800 in heavy use like rendering but it should still hold higher clocks than that link shows so something's wrong for sure.
yes something wrong, this is the first day that my pc did not crashed a few times in the day otherwise since last 8 days it is crashing 2 to 3 times without any BSOD or anything. just simply shutdown. I should mentioned that clock speed was behaving like this from day one.

Follow the rest of suggestion....but first double, triple check CPU cooler mounting. Make sure fasteners are evenly tightened all around and...did you remove any labels on the bottom of the cooler before applying thermal grease and installing it?

update bios
reset cmos

and, of course, install gpu, audio, lan drivers but AVOID ANY OTHER GIGABYTE UTILITIES!

Reactions: suren_011
Solution
Oct 30, 2021
Looks like your cpu cooler isint doing adequate cooling are you doing an aio or air? And what kind of thermal paste . My 5950x dosent idle at more than 45 50c also check the bios. And i would downgrade to windows 10 no reason to do windows 11 yet. Its still buggy.

Reactions: suren_011

suren_011

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010

update bios
reset cmos

Solution has been found ! As it turned out my cpu cooler was loose, the store where I bought CPU & MB , RAM , they offered me free assembling so I let them and they <Mod Edit> it up , it is a small town so I think they never installed liquid cooler before. I did assemble it all again, now I am getting 4.20-4.45Ghz normally. Temperature is also down to 50c, 85c after cinebench test. So Thanks everyone. my issues has been sesolved !

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Makaveli

TRENDING THREADS