Question Ryzen 7 5800x overheating at bios screen

Nov 4, 2022
I built a new pc about 10 months ago. About 1 month in the Ryzen 7 5800x would heat up to 100 Celsius then the pc would shut down. I took everything apart re applied thermal paste and put it back together then it stopped. Recently the issue happened again and I did the same thing but it’s still overheating. This happens at the bios screen so I only have about 1 minute before it emergency shuts down. I’m looking at forums and this is a common issue. So much that I don’t know which to look at. I’m seeing that is most likely a settings issues with voltage. I manually set the voltage to1.0 like all the voltage videos said. Maybe a broken Cpu from the start? I have it water cooled and I’ve double checked to make sure it’s working…I’ve done everything to troubleshoot this thing and I can’t get it to stop overheating. There is no plastic on the cpu or cooler and cooler is definitely working and is more than enough to cool the cpu.

Gpu: powercolor fighter Radeon rx 6600
Aio: Msi mag coreliquid 240R
Motherboard: rog strix b550-f gaming
Ram: Corsair vengeance 2x 16gig (total 32gig)

Sarscarix041

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2015
In case it is relevant…

The thermal conductivity of thermal paste is an order of magnitude lower than that of copper and of aluminium. [Offhand, about 1 [units] for thermal paste, and about 200 [units] for the metals.] Thus, at any measurable thickness, it is an insulator.

It is thus that the main thing to do, when applying thermal paste, is to make it absolutely as thin as possible (without compromising its function of filling in microscopic gaps).

Since I’m here… there is also thermal paste inside the CPU [search “de-lidding”]… so that is a theoretical possibility for where the problem might lie. Note that de-lidding a CPU voids the warranty. If the problem is wide-spread, presumably that is not it.

(Ostensibly, the pivotal point is that it overheats when it is doing hardly anything.)

Nov 4, 2022
hi! I just ordered a Ryzen 5 and a new Cpu cooler. Supposedly the msi aio I have is discontinued. When I spoke to AMD they said it seemed to be an issue with their chip also. Either way I have both coming so if it’s the chip I’ll return the cooler and if it’s the cooler I’ll return the chip….hopefully it’s the cooler.

I've got one of these sitting on a 5900x. Top mounted in the case and it works pretty well. If you look they have the non rgb version for 45 plus 10 shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354220279778?hash=item52792c87e2:g:NTYAAOSwyG5jGic4&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA8LY9QGD/z/MZn3T6KT5iPcy3EwpyAXjq1W1lxtX546SKqPIGq9FH8SjiWHp5d8LVNFIHMYBvkCUOsxkaMnCUw3hrTRKr+wl22wi3BVnUM9a98dRYWbPSPwezbJRGBSps7Xmf8/pBlcmBgvI/2TIWFl2fC2hqQ0FpIZFADmpExIX+/fAXG8593k0f3lo5qeElnjKNLTVdny6PviuV990oyHcLz/oFENqMxFsydl7oPZpZPQOv7g8zxagMfbX4ImEjY58+VynDsldyPTPoYbPWJNzzuRPwqIDwpInde883+uJgnerDH1fV+9q7uvGmNMPNBA==|tkp:Bk9SR5qot7-IYQ

They look to be sold by Arctic cooling directly and say they have their 6 year warranty. This is where I got mine from and am happy with it. The highest I see is just over 77 degrees celcius on an all core workload, keep in mind though I'm on a 5900x.

Link to non rgb

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3541065454...YikiH30GQlc7d4lK70GrbIeN2w==|tkp:BFBMmKi3v4hh

Nov 4, 2022
It was the aio. I called in the serial number to msi and they said it was under recall. When I get the new one I’m going to sell it for cheap. It looks pretty but it was giving me issues from the beginning. I changed to a cooler master hyper 212. It’s keeping my Ryzen 7 5800x at 27 Celsius just idling where the Msi had me at 60-60 idle. Now I just need to figure out how to mark this solved. Thanks for the suggestions!!!

Reactions: drivinfast247