Question Ryzen 7 5800x running too hot

Dec 23, 2021
My 5800X is running very hot, at just about idle ~5% load according to NZXT CAM it ranges from 45-50 C. The voltage seems to just be constantly high in HW Monitor frequenting 1.45, which seems ridiculous to me. I was doing some searching and saw some people recommend doing CTR to diagnostic and tune to help with too high of voltages. But in trying to do the diagnostic it crashes cinebench just about instantly as it hits 90 C in about 5 seconds. I turned down the voltages in CTR reference voltage at 1000 mV and diagnostic voltage at 1200 mV. I believe the AIO is running appropriately?? the liquid temp says its at ~30-40C and i can feel slight vibrations in the tubes. Playing not so demanding games like TFT has my CPU up to 75C. Any Ideas as to what I can do to fix these temps? The ambient room temperature isnt too high, and the case temp sits around 35C under load. I know these are generally a hotter CPU but it just feels like my AIO can't do anything to cool this thing in any regard.

Motherboard: ASUS B550-F Gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
CPU Cooler: NZXT X53 intake, Front Mounted
System Memory: 32GB 2133 MHz
GPU (VBIOS): EVGA 1080
OS (Version): Windows 10 x64

Dec 23, 2021
New build or an upgrade of some sort?

Or a temperature problem that just developed on a previous working (cooler) system?

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition? History of heavy gaming use?

this was an upgrade from a ryzen 5 1600x, so full new mobo/cpu and the nzxt x53 cooler is new too. the PSU is a corsair TX550M so 550W 80 plus Gold, could probably do with being upgraded its a good ~5 years old with heavy gaming use. Bit of an update to the diagnostic. I enabled PBO and put a PPT limit to 130 and TDC to 90, this allowed me to successfully run CTR diagnostic where i limited voltage to 1.35 giving me a 4650 clock and i got up to about 82 degrees in cinebench with 5600 score. Currently have it profiled at 1.25 volts for 4525 clock, and sitting at 50C still under low load but it now only goes up to 55 while playing TFT so degrees went down by 20C. So i mean its good and all, but i dont think i should have to undervolt my cpu no?

Ralston18

Titan
"5 years old with heavy gaming use. "

PSU upgrade recommended.

Remember that PSU's provide three voltages: 3, 5, and 12 to varying system components.

It only takes one voltage to falter or fail in some manner and take the system down. Maybe with damage and/or data loss.

It is not uncommon that a problem may appear to resolve via some tweak or corrective action. However that solution may just be prolonging the inevitable. And the end consequences could be worse.

Things to do:

- Ensure that all important data is backed up at least 2 x to locations off of the PC in question. Verify that all data is recoverable and readable.

- Visit the following link:

Best Power Supplies of 2021 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware

Two reasons:

1) Use the calculators to determine the PSU wattage needed to support the build with room for growth.

2) Start planning ahead for a PSU purchase.

Dec 23, 2021
Thanks for the advice and i do agree it could use an upgrade, but do you really think thats the only possible issue here? Any other ideas, these things run hot but it seems exasperated in my system