Question Ryzen 7 5800X weird overheat issue

May 5, 2022
I bought a rig last year and upgraded some of the components. It’s got an asus rtx3070 coupled with a ryzen 7 5800x that I set to run at base speeds. I replaced the garbage stock cpu fan for the coremag liquid 240r v2 which has been performing great so far, no issues. I did keep the stock great wall c700 psu which I’m thinking could be the culprit somehow.
What’s been happening recently for no reason whatsoever, havent swapped anything in the pc, is that when i first boot the pc in the morning or afternoon, it overheats up to 90c, whereas when im playing heavy games it only reaches up to like 50c (still at base speeds, i disabled pbo). Sometimes it will reach 100 and shutdown on me as well if I let it run long enough.
Weirdly enough the issue is completely resolved after I restart the pc another 2-4 times. Never happens again until I shut it down and then the whole thing repeats.
I have 4 corsair fans plugged into a core xt and all of them work although in the bios I noticed the cpu overheats as the sys fan 1 header shows as n/a. I reboot a few times until I go to the bios only to see sys fan 1 finally showing up again and giving normal rpms then suddenly the cpu starts decreasing temps dramatically back to normal and if i reboot the issue is solved once again. Thing to notice is that the fans are always working. I can literally see them always on as soon as I turn on the pc. Cpu fan shows normal rpms too, never disappears even once like the sys fan 1 does, even though none of the fans stop working like I mentioned. I have no clue whats going on, anybody got leads?
I have also updated the bios to the latest version which didnt fix anything, I’m on a x570 aorus elite.

May 5, 2022
To add to the matter, it seems like the radiator is not working correctly. I realized the radiator/pump is what’s connected to my sys fan 1 header, so that is the culprit.

May 5, 2022
Should be connected to CPU_FAN or PUMP
CPU fan is where the cpu cooler fans are connected. I was told that sys fan or cpu opt are both fine to connect a radiator/pump. The cooler had been working fine while having the pump/radiator connected to the sys fan 1 header, so I'm afraid it's just a defective unit. My motherboard has two sys fan, one cpu fan and one cpu opt, no pump header.

CPU fan is where the cpu cooler fans are connected. I was told that sys fan or cpu opt are both fine to connect a radiator/pump. The cooler had been working fine while having the pump/radiator connected to the sys fan 1 header, so I'm afraid it's just a defective unit. My motherboard has two sys fan, one cpu fan and one cpu opt, no pump header.
And you have that header set to 100%DC in BIOS?

May 5, 2022
Ive booted up the pc a bunch of times today while rerouting the radiator/pump cable to the cpu opt header and so far no issues to report. Dont think this would be a fix because I had the radiator/pump connected to sys fan for the longest and only recently its been giving me problems. Worth a try nonetheless I suppose.

Ive booted up the pc a bunch of times today while rerouting the radiator/pump cable to the cpu opt header and so far no issues to report. Dont think this would be a fix because I had the radiator/pump connected to sys fan for the longest and only recently its been giving me problems. Worth a try nonetheless I suppose.
Based on the number of problems they've caused users MSI's AIO's have pretty much been relegated to junk status by most DIYers so replacing it seems the best course of action...if possible. But with any AIO the pump should be run at 100%, or close to it, constantly. If you're not sure how to set that up for a motherboard header use an adapter to connect it to a SATA power plug which will do it. Many AIO kits have one included. The only thing you lose is monitoring pump RPM, not that big of a deal unless you're a system telemetry monitoring geek. Like the rest of us seem to be :)

Reactions: crutom
May 5, 2022
Another day of no issues but I do notice whenever I boot up the pc, the radiator makes a short weird noise then stops, no overheating though for now and decent cooling performance.

Another day of no issues but I do notice whenever I boot up the pc, the radiator makes a short weird noise then stops, no overheating though for now and decent cooling performance.
The noise is coming from air bubbles in the pump which is in the radiator of a CoreLiquid AIO. It's highly suggested to avoid mounting this radiator in the top to prevent bubbles forming in the pump and reducing it's efficiency. As with all radiators, it's best to mount it in front but for this one even a bottom mount is better.

Reactions: crutom