rcsverige

Commendable
Mar 15, 2021
I just bought this CPU and it is a major step up from what I had (3600) but I am pretty paranoid about temperatures.
When I am idling and not doing anything. It rests around 50c... when I am watching a youtube video it can range from 65 to 70c.... similarily, and confusingly, I run temps around 65 to 72c when playing Cyberpunk. I originally thought I had lower temps before I had to do something which required me to remove the cooler again and reapply the paste. When I put the cooler back on it was kind of a pain in the ass to get the screw to line up with the hole so I ended up sliding the cooler which might have spread the paste unevenly? Idk, am I just being paranoid about this or does anyone have any personal experience with this CPU. Below are my specs

ASUS RTX 3060 12gb
Ryzen 7 5800x3D
ASUS Prime B550m-a
RM650x
16gb DDR4 3200mhz
1tb Samsung Evo

rcsverige

Commendable
Mar 15, 2021
The act of mounting the cooler spreads the paste evenly. The only time uneven mounting pressure would be a concern is if you didn't turn the screws roughly the same amount.

In any case, what cooler do you have? And what are you using to read the temperatures?
So I went to youtube after playing Cyberpunk and it was 70c but then dropped later on and is not around 60-65. I tried to get the screws as even as possible also. The cooler I have is a CoolerMaster Hyper Evo 212.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
I think you're paranoid, you can always repaste just to make sure, but what CPU cooler are you running?

I would guess your mount is adequate but your cpu cooler is not. Assuming opening the case does not reduce temps significanlty

rcsverige

Commendable
Mar 15, 2021
I think you're paranoid, you can always repaste just to make sure, but what CPU cooler are you running?

I would guess your mount is adequate but your cpu cooler is not.
Yea same. I spent like 4,000kr on it so Im worried lol. So I just ran a cinebench and the max temp was 81c in Multi Core testing. I might consider reapplying tomorrow but I think I might change my mind once I sleep on it.

rcsverige

Commendable
Mar 15, 2021
The act of mounting the cooler spreads the paste evenly. The only time uneven mounting pressure would be a concern is if you didn't turn the screws roughly the same amount.

In any case, what cooler do you have? And what are you using to read the temperatures?
sorry for an additional reply. I ran cenibench on a Multi Core test and the temp reached 82c at its max and 80c consistently throughout the test. Im assuming that is ok?

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Yeah that's definitely acceptable. Figure that CPU should be ok up to 90C.

It will run hotter than a 5800x due to 3d cache design, so it's well within specs.

You can also experiment with undervolting which can potentially reduce thermals and increase clock speed.

You can use Ryzen Master to run Curve Optimizer, a test to tell you which offset you can get by with. I have had good success with a 5700x doing that. Helped with temps quite a bit

rcsverige

Commendable
Mar 15, 2021

It will run hotter than a 5800x due to 3d cache design, so it's well within specs.

You can also experiment with undervolting which can potentially reduce thermals and increase clock speed.

You can use Ryzen Master to run Curve Optimizer, a test to tell you which offset you can get by with. I have had good success with a 5700x doing that. Helped with temps quite a bit

yeah, I was actually considering undervolting but I haven’t done that before. do you have any suggestions or good beginner tutorials to do that without ruining the CPU or my system? I also changed my fan speeds in BIOS for the CPU Fan, and CHASIS fan 1&2.
Here are the current BIOS settings for the fans. Think that is reasonable?

https://imgur.io/a/9u1Cgfr

Looking around to see if there was any recent-ish reviews of the Cooler Master Hyper 212, I found this:

The tl;dr is with a 123W load test, the Hyper 212 is 16th out of 18 coolers tested and adding the delta to the ambient, the temperature was around 80C

Anyway the thing with the Hyper 212 is if they haven't changed the basic design, the cooler was good for about 150W. The 5800X3D has a default PPT limit of around 140W, so it actually will get up to 140W power consumption. This behavior isn't unusual with AMD CPUs, my 5600X goes up to 77-80W, even though it's rated as a 65W TDP processor. So you're basically pushing the cooler to the limit whenever the CPU does something hard.

Also in addition since you didn't say what you're using to get the CPU temperature reading, if you're not using something that gives multiple temperatures from the CPU, it's reporting the hottest temperature in the CPU. If one core boosts hard, that's going to make the CPU look like it's on fire, even though only that portion of the CPU is hot.

rcsverige

Commendable
Mar 15, 2021
Missed that you were running a 212. Your temps are actually impressively good considering. But I would really think about an ak620 or Assassin III if you can afford and fit either in your case.
Yea Ill look into those. I was actually thinking that it was high time that I bought a new cooler. This cooler did extremely well with my 3600 and kept the temps always around 55c under heavy load. But this CPU is clearly something else and I should look into that.

rcsverige

Commendable
Mar 15, 2021
Looking around to see if there was any recent-ish reviews of the Cooler Master Hyper 212, I found this:

The tl;dr is with a 123W load test, the Hyper 212 is 16th out of 18 coolers tested and adding the delta to the ambient, the temperature was around 80C

Anyway the thing with the Hyper 212 is if they haven't changed the basic design, the cooler was good for about 150W. The 5800X3D has a default PPT limit of around 140W, so it actually will get up to 140W power consumption. This behavior isn't unusual with AMD CPUs, my 5600X goes up to 77-80W, even though it's rated as a 65W TDP processor. So you're basically pushing the cooler to the limit whenever the CPU does something hard.

Also in addition since you didn't say what you're using to get the CPU temperature reading, if you're not using something that gives multiple temperatures from the CPU, it's reporting the hottest temperature in the CPU. If one core boosts hard, that's going to make the CPU look like it's on fire, even though only that portion of the CPU is hot.
Thanks for the link and the answers! I really should stick to Political science because I still know nothing about PC´s. Everytime I think I have an iota of understanding, I realize I actually dont.

rcsverige

Commendable
Mar 15, 2021
Missed that you were running a 212. Your temps are actually impressively good considering. But I would really think about an ak620 or Assassin III if you can afford and fit either in your case.
I do have a question though. Can I mount a newer cooler, like the ones you suggested, on the bracket that is currently installed on the motherboard? Because it seems like I can.

What I am wondering though is the bracks that the CPU cooler actually screws into will be compatible. Even the backplate itself on the back. Or maybe I misunderstood.

Silver Brackets
With coolers that come with a backplate for particular application then you have to use it. if not, it can use original backaplate that came with MB. All AM4 and AM5 use standard screw distances and thread.
When you look for particular cooler they all list compatibility and you can download mounting instructions that will tell you exactly exactly which parts of kit to fit to that socket. There is no "One fits all" , you have to check it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i went from a 3600xt to a 5800x3d two days ago.
Corsair H100i 240mm AIO water cooler
Max temp I have seen so far was 85c in cinebench r23 multi processor.
It didn't get as high in 2024, not sure it hit 80.
rJesZ3Q.jpg

Ran Intelburntest, max temp was 80c after 10 minutes

idles at 35c, its cooler than my 3600xt was. (does help I cleaned all dust out of radiator at same time)

Last edited:

rcsverige

Commendable
Mar 15, 2021
i went from a 3600xt to a 5800x3d two days ago.
Corsair H100i 240mm AIO water cooler
Max temp I have seen so far was 85c in cinebench r23 multi processor.
It didn't get as high in 2024, not sure it hit 80.
rJesZ3Q.jpg

Ran Intelburntest, max temp was 80c after 10 minutes

idles at 35c, its cooler than my 3600xt was. (does help I cleaned all dust out of radiator at same time)
Nice! I am idling around 45c.... Yesterday it was idling around 35c so I feel like when I reapplyed the thermal paste I might not have done a good job with it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It can depend on ambient temps. I saw 29c last night but it was only 6c outside. Its 22c outside now and CPU is sitting on 34ish.

idle isn't really when you need to think about though.

here are a few tests that might help
Part 1

Part 2

rcsverige

Commendable
Mar 15, 2021
It can depend on ambient temps. I saw 29c last night but it was only 6c outside. Its 22c outside now and CPU is sitting on 34ish.

idle isn't really when you need to think about though.

here are a few tests that might help
Part 1

Part 2
Ok Ill check those out. Yea it is currently 15c here and Im sitting at anywhere from 41-48. Curious if you have any suggestions for potential cooler upgrades? I have an iCUE 220t chasis. Im currently looking around but I dont know what would be best.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Your case: https://www.corsair.com/kr/en/p/pc-...lass-mid-tower-smart-case-black-cc-9011173-ww

i haven't looked at air coolers for that CPU.

Variants of this are suggested on another site - https://noctua.at/en/nh-u12a-chromax-black
they also have a slim version - https://noctua.at/en/nh-u12s-chromax-black
its also best air cooler shown on the videos I linked.

its also not cheap. well here anyway.

this is also highly rated - http://www.thermalright.com/product/peerless-assassin-120-se/

if I were to get a new AIO, I would get one of these that also fits in front of your case - https://www.arctic.de/en/Liquid-Freezer-II-280-A-RGB/ACFRE00106A - its best AIO you can get right now and they not even expensive.

Last edited:
Ok Ill check those out. Yea it is currently 15c here and Im sitting at anywhere from 41-48. Curious if you have any suggestions for potential cooler upgrades? I have an iCUE 220t chasis. Im currently looking around but I dont know what would be best.

This should fit your case and is a lot of cooler for the money. Pretty sure someone suggested this above.

Edit: Need to check your memory height for any air cooler.

Edit again: ARGB version same price as normal if that's your bag.

Reactions: rcsverige

rcsverige

Commendable
Mar 15, 2021
If you don't mind poking around in BIOS, a free and relatively easy fix to tame temperatures without losing much performance is tweaking with the PPT value or using PBO curve optimizer. These make the CPU try to use less power one way or another.
The thing is is that I just am inexperienced when it comes to messing around with stuff like that so I am a bit hesitant on doing anything. I actually posted a thread about this very issue.